How would you stat out... - Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

How would you stat out...

How would you stat out...

Matron Baenre as a level 21 Gestalt? (NPC). She will likely never have to resolve a single attack roll, but I want her to be as menacing as her level implies.

edit: apologies if this is the wrong forum / section for this Q.

According to the Forgotten Realms wiki in 2nd edition she was a level 25 cleric, so 21 levels of cleric on one side, and I don't know, some kind of wizard specializing in necromancy on the other side?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yvonnel_Baenre

Depending on her purpose as a character and the relative power level of the PCs compared to her, I wouldn't. Does it serve any particular point to have detailed stats for her? Will the PCs interact with her on equal ground and will they actually have a reasonable chance of succeeding in opposed checks against her?

Because if not, it's just better to have her as a plot device rather than a character. She's epic, her AC is "no", and her spellcasting powers are "you lose".

I would agree with Actana. Only stat her out if you intend for PCs to fight her. Otherwise just write down in broad strokes what she can and cannot do. She is a force of nature rather than a character.

If you must stat her out, which I understand the desire to do so even if you don't intend to squash the PCs with her, consider something like psion/ thrall herd//cleric/church inquisitor. Make her good at managing her people.

I'd go with dont. Firstly, make her stats yourself if you plan on using them, because she's not going to be relevant in a combat sense. Secondly, if I stat her out for you, I will leave glaring weaknesses in her character so I can kill her in your game and LOLth about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
as I imagined someone already made a Matron Baenre for 3.5 but anyway adapt and tweak as you see fit:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4890
Fantastic resource, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actana View Post
Depending on her purpose as a character and the relative power level of the PCs compared to her, I wouldn't. Does it serve any particular point to have detailed stats for her? Will the PCs interact with her on equal ground and will they actually have a reasonable chance of succeeding in opposed checks against her?

Because if not, it's just better to have her as a plot device rather than a character. She's epic, her AC is "no", and her spellcasting powers are "you lose".
Mental exercise mainly (if the PCs are silly enough to try to attack her, they will more than likely get crushed). I am curious to see how others would do it though. I have my build in mind.