Sailors on the Silver Sea: An Astral Adventure

Until the Sea Shall Free Them - Forum
Dungeon World

...and when he knew for certain
Only drowning men could hear him,
He said "All men will be sailors, then!
Until the sea shall free them..."

Hi, folks!

I've been running a Dungeon World game set in the D&D Astral Sea for a little while now. It's been great, but we've had two players drop out due to real-life concerns, so we're recruiting two players. Now's your chance, whether you've wanted to try Dungeon World, been nostalgic for Planescape, or just think that an endless silver sea full of ancient ruins and mysterious islands sounds cool.

You don't need to be particularly familiar with the setting. Here are the basics: people in your typical D&D worlds have their souls go to the Astral Plane as they die, where if they're lucky they wake up inside the dominion of whatever deity they worshipped. If they're not lucky, they wake up outside it, locked out of it and unable to enter, and have to make their own afterlife out in the Astral.
These dominions are like bubbles or islands in the Astral Sea, and they are some of the biggest established locations in the Astral, though by no means the only ones.
The Astral Sea stretches on forever, and the further you go, the less stuff you encounter, and the stranger that stuff is.

The current players have a stolen Githyanki battle-skiff, the Lich Queen's Grasp, and a small crew of unlikely personages whom they rescued from galley-slavery. They just finished up a treasure-pilfering mission that didn't go nearly as well as they hoped, and they're currently making a stop at Ioun's Archive of Obsolete Knowledge, a small mote in the Deep Astral.

If you're interested in joining up, feel free to work up a character concept. Tell me how long you've been dead (and therefore roaming the Astral) and a little about who you are and why you're chossing to sail the dangerous Deep Astral rather than making a new life for yourself in a divine dominion, border island, or Astral city.

Wake: the silver dusk returning
Up the beach of darkness brims,
And the ship of sunrise burning
Strands upon the eastern rims.

Wake: the vaulted shadow shatters,
Trampled to the floor it spanned,
And the tent of night in tatters
Straws the sky-pavilioned land.

Up, lad, up, 'tis late for lying:
Hear the drums of morning play;
Hark, the empty highways crying
"Who'll beyond the hills away?"

This is my first time running Dungeon World, but now that I've been running this game for a while, I've got a pretty good grasp on the feedback loop at the heart of the game and feel more than comfortable running it via PbP.

For setting inspiration, I'd recommend the (really excellent) D&D 4E The Plane Above book on the Astral for the basics, and the various AD&D 2E Planescape material for strange specifics.

Game Description:

The Deep Astral stretches out into endless nothing, a silver sea full of cold stars and shifting colors. It is dotted with ruined dominions, ancient towers, islands haunting and haunted, mysteries more final than death has turned out to be.
Endless, far from the thriving dominions of the gods, far from the merchant outposts, far from everything, close to the numinous--the far corners of the Silver Sea are not a predictable place, nor a safe one. Astral skiffs and stranger craft sail into it, and sometimes they bring back wealth and wonder and power, and sometimes they bring back stories and glory and knowledge, and sometimes they do not return.

A woman may find her grief in the Silver Sea, or leave it behind there. A man may go chasing his heart's desire, and leave his heart behind. A crew may come back with a hold full of wealth, or hearts full of beauty, or minds full of strange and senseless songs that push them, guide them, change them.

You, sailor, feel the pull of the Sea like a silver cord tied to your soul. No careful, profit-counting merchant, you: you've thrown caution to the wyrd-winds that fill your craft's sails and gone out to see sights even the gods haven't laid eyes on.

Are you new to the shifting currents and uncharted islands of the Deep Astral?
Are you a seasoned sailor, with successful voyages after your belt, wise enough to survive but foolish enough to return?
Are you one who has lost something to the Deep, or are you lost to it?
Are you searching for something, or leaving something--or everything--behind?

Do you sail seeking power, seeking knowledge, seeking peace, seeking freedom?

Welcome, Sailor! The Silver Sea awaits!

Last edited by AnemoneEnemy; Mar 28 '18 at 10:49pm..
Dungeon World isn't a game you need to know a whole lot about as a player! Mostly you just tell me what you're doing and I tell you what to roll.

http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/ Beyond that, all you really need to be aware of is your class's moves.

So which players dropped out? It looks like the wizard and the immolator. Just wondering about the roles that might be needed.

Also, what playbooks are you allowing? I'm wondering if you'll allow playbooks from other published sources (i.e. not just the ones on dungeonworldSRD.com).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of the Coat View Post
So which players dropped out? It looks like the wizard and the immolator. Just wondering about the roles that might be needed.

Also, what playbooks are you allowing? I'm wondering if you'll allow playbooks from other published sources (i.e. not just the ones on dungeonworldSRD.com).
The Wizard and the Immolator (using the third-party Branded book), so those are open now. Any playbooks besides Ranger, Barbarian, Druid, and Fighter are fine.

I'm OK with third-party playbooks but I'll be conservative about them. I've seen some I really like, like the Princess.

Conut me as interested, what kind of posting rate are you expecting from players? Also would you consider PHB 2 classes? Or only those listed in dungeon world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcwbigstick View Post
Conut me as interested, what kind of posting rate are you expecting from players? Also would you consider PHB 2 classes? Or only those listed in dungeon world?
Do you mean, like, trying to use D&D classes in Dungeon World? They don't really convert in any way! If you can find playbooks for Dungeon World beyond the basic ones in the srd out there, I'm happy to consider them. Or hit me with a concept and I'll let you know if I know of one or can adapt an existing one.

E: posting rate is *ideally* roughly every day or two, but at any given point someone or multiple someones is usually slower than that. That's a best case scenario.

Wow, this actually looks quite a bit simpler, like fate very aspect focused. Am I reading this correctly?? (Sorry kinda excited)

I did some more reading, I'm going to look over you current game and see if a brawler, barbarian, or fighter could work. I've got some fun ideas I'm going to see if they will mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcwbigstick View Post
I did some more reading, I'm going to look over you current game and see if a brawler, barbarian, or fighter could work. I've got some fun ideas I'm going to see if they will mesh.
One of the current players is a Barbarian (DW doesn't let you double up on playbooks), and I'm disallowing the Fighter playbook because it doesn't get very much beyond plusses to combat numbers, which is very boring in a more narrative game like Dungeon World.

DW isn't really like FATE in that it doesn't have Aspects. DW does have moves that let you shape the narrative, and it has the GM ask you a lot of leading questions that give you input into the narrative.