What are you reading? - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What are you reading?

Getting into the first part of the Dreamblood Duology and it's... Hard going. I found the Inhertience books to be absolutely compelling, but for whatever reason I just can't get into this one. It might be because it's just settled down to having a regular POV, or it might be the characters themselves. I'm close to giving this one a pass.

I just started re-reading Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series again. Absolute fun! In terms of nostalgia for Dragonlance, what about the Belgariad? I ran across both series around the same time. While not nearly as sophisticated in terms of adult topics, there were elements in Eddings' work that I thought were quite interesting, especially for a younger reader.

I love the Belgarid , and the follow-up Mallorean, but I think the Edding's really came into their world-building skills with the Elenium/Tamuli and Younger Gods series.

High fantasy gods, those two. Have you ever checked out The Rivan Codex, their world-building book for the world of the Belgarid? It's a bit dry, it's literally just world information and not meant for anything but reference, but there was so much going on that never really got talked about, but with this style of documentation, they were able to keep everything consistent through 12 books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
I just started re-reading Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series again. Absolute fun! In terms of nostalgia for Dragonlance, what about the Belgariad? I ran across both series around the same time. While not nearly as sophisticated in terms of adult topics, there were elements in Eddings' work that I thought were quite interesting, especially for a younger reader.
Gentlemen and Red Skies are very good, but Repubic of Thieves... Pacing, and I hate what he did to Locke. I hope the next book gets to the series back on track but I just don't know. Maybe it's best to pretend that the Archons's poison did it's work.

I'm currently (slowly) reading "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay. Unfortunately, I've had to slow my pleasure reading way down as I'm trying to read a bit more for work. But hopefully I'll be back to reading more for pleasure in the future! I've got Adam Smith's "Theory of Moral Sentiments" and "Wealth of Nations" burning a hole in my bookshelf, and William James' "Varieties of Religious Experience" lined up behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
I'm actually not familiar with the Belgariad series. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks

The Original: The Trials of Sarah Larkin by Claudia Christian (Yes, Ivonova of Babylon5)