What are you reading? - Page 6 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What are you reading?

Now I'm on The Martian, by Andy Weir. It may well be the most researched and realistic sci-fi story I've ever read. Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
Now I'm on The Martian, by Andy Weir. It may well be the most researched and realistic sci-fi story I've ever read. Good stuff!
I've heard many good things about this one, definitely want to check it out.

Weir knows his stuff. Even when he bends reality a bit (or more than a bit), he knows he's doing it and has a reason it's necessary. Key instance, the whole incident that traps Watney to begin with shouldn't be possible, Martian air is to thin to throw stuff around like that. But in the service of creating the story, it works.
It's a great read, highly recommended. Haven't got around to his new one (Artemis) yet but I expect good things from that too.

I'll definitely be checking out his other work after I finish this one. It's refreshing to read good sci-fi that doesn't rely on aliens and lasers.

My reading slowed down a bit during the Holiday's, but I'm finally on to the final book in Dragonlance's The Meetings series. The Companions:

I guess I'll also mention, that most of my reading is done digitally, as I just have more time for that (in bed at night, at breaks during work, etc). But I also typically have a physical book in progress as well, right now, that one is Atlas Shrugged:

Obviously, it's a much longer book, and I only have small chunks of time for it on the weekends, so I've been plugging away at it bit by bit for awhile now, but I have been enjoying it as well.

My advice for Atlas Shrugged: skip the first seven hundred or so pages and skip straight to John Galt's hundred-plus page speech at the end. That will pretty much cover the gist of things.

It's like Rand was like, "hang on...maybe you all haven't fully understood my philosophy after seven hundred pages. Another hundred or so of recapping ought to do the trick."

Not exactly a book, but I'm totally hooked by the Worm webserial, by Wildbow.

Superhero story with a lot of twists and incredibly well-written characters. A really interesting and creative world.

I just finished The Drawing of the Three, book 2 in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was great and I am looking forward to the next one! I’m usually not a fan of his darker writing but this one is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
My advice for Atlas Shrugged: skip the first seven hundred or so pages and skip straight to John Galt's hundred-plus page speech at the end. That will pretty much cover the gist of things.

It's like Rand was like, "hang on...maybe you all haven't fully understood my philosophy after seven hundred pages. Another hundred or so of recapping ought to do the trick."
Well, I'm only on about page 150 or so, but I'm still enjoying it. I've heard criticisms about this book along these same lines already, so I'm not totally surprised to hear them again and I totally get them, she certainly isn't subtle about the message she is trying to make. I've also read it's fairly polarizing, people tend to either love it, or hate it ( I can guess what camp your in ).

I do really like her writing style though, It's simple enough that you quickly feel immersed in the story, but detailed enough to really feel vivid, with enough metaphor and symbolism that gives you those little "ahh!" moments whenever you notice them.

It kind of reminds me of F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing a bit and why he makes The Great Gatsby such an enjoyable read. Gatsby almost feels more like a memory of a real life incident then a story I've read when I reflect on it.