What are you reading? - Page 7 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What are you reading?

I agree entirely about Rand's writing, Wurtan. She isn't a bad writer; she's just a philosopher who I don't happen to agree with very often.

I understand entirely, your certainly not alone in that sentiment either.

Sigmund Freud: On Dreams.

I'm working on one of my projects. This may provide more insight and inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
I agree entirely about Rand's writing, Wurtan. She isn't a bad writer; she's just a philosopher who I don't happen to agree with very often.
Atlas Shrugged was a fairly enjoyable read until the third act. Then it just abruptly turns into a completely different story and style. I found it just terrible and stopped reading.

That's because, by the third act, Rand isn't even pretending to write a novel anymore and is just going for full-on, hard-core libertarian philosophy.

Objectivist philosophy. Not all Libertarians buy into Rand's nonsense, just most of them.

I made the mistake of looking up what Wikipedia has to say on Libertarianism, and there's a quote from Rand on there. Eww. I actually find some elements of Objectivism really interesting - it makes for a great video game villain or dark comic book antihero, for example - but she seems a little insane, on the whole. Also, there are so many "ism"s and many of them have changed meanings over the years, I'm surprised anyone even knows what any of them mean any more. Turns out, trying to reduce a whole philosophy to a one- or two-word label doesn't work so well, go figure.

(I always find left- and right-wing amusing for much the same reason; there are loads of opinions which could easily be spun as either depending on how you go about it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
I just finished The Drawing of the Three, book 2 in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was great and I am looking forward to the next one! Iím usually not a fan of his darker writing but this one is good
Nice... The Wastelands was really good.

Just beginning 'An Absolutely Remarkable Thing' by Hank Green of SciShow! His first book so this'll be interesting...

Root, I'll be interested to hear what you think when you finish all seven of the Dark Tower books! It's a journey you'll never forget (for better or worse).