Pathfinder 2nd Edition is coming to Playtest! - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition is coming to Playtest!

Isn't that basically the Unchained action economy ported into the core rules?

well, I have a feeling that few people with remain faithful to PF1 once PF2 is out... diehards 3.5 players will go back to 3.5 and most PF folk will embrace the new edition, which I doubt will be retrocompatible with previously published material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
well, I have a feeling that few people with remain faithful to PF1 once PF2 is out... diehards 3.5 players will go back to 3.5 and most PF folk will embrace the new edition, which I doubt will be retrocompatible with previously published material.
Diehard 3.5 players never went to PF... but I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
great, just great, my books that cost me so much are soon to become useless and worthless
To quote Eric Mona when someone asked about this about their favorite archetype/option:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mona
You should be able to, with the (fairly?) obvious caveat that the new Core Rulebook will not include 40+ base classes and 50 races.

Depth of character options, even within characters of the same class and race, are a core element of the Pathfinder RPG, and that will NOT change in the new edition.

If anything, with new options like ancestry feats and backgrounds, you have even MORE ways to customize your character. And with archetypes being in the Core Rulebook, you won't need a second hardcover to implement a basic part of the game, which should also be a bit of a bonus for everybody.
@leons1701: Yes it is, well refined a little better than the rough version of unchained. Just like the HP for races is from Starfinder. Obviously their goal isn't to make it hard for people who have been playing for awhile. From what I see and read, it is simply to make it easier and more consistent compared to just porting 3.5.

Also, with downtime being one of their pillars (though I think they used a different term) of play, they might be incorporating some of the stuff from Ultimate Campaign into core. That could be cool.

If they are smart, they’ll publish adventure path adaptations that are free of charge at least for the people who officially own the earlier versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDingo View Post
If they are smart, they’ll publish adventure path adaptations that are free of charge at least for the people who officially own the earlier versions.
... They are also selling hardbound copies of the playtest materials. I wouldn't put it past Paizo to make people buy the new version of the AP.

They will stop support of 1.0 in summer 2019.

I imagine that we will get the hardcover compiled copy of Kingmaker (I think that's the most popular AP after Rise of the Runelords and Crimson Throne) either the end of the year or early 2019.

I might be a lottle surprised if they publish ports of the older adventure paths— at least not for a while. So many of those paths seem designed to explore specialized rulesets (occult, mythic, etc), which presumably won’t be part of pathfinder2e at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
... They are also selling hardbound copies of the playtest materials. I wouldn't put it past Paizo to make people buy the new version of the AP.
Yes, but keep in mind that the PDF of the playtest will be free. The hardbound copies are for those who want it.

Also, while I don't see them converting many of the APs over, we can hope that they'll offer the PDF free to those who already own it via their own distribution methods - so if you have it through a different way, then likely tough shit. However, I can see this going either way, and frankly doesn't bother me since I don't use APs.

While Paizo is looking to make money off their products (and what business doesn't?), I've always gotten the vibe from them that they don't want to screw over their customers. After all, happy customers mean more purchases.