The Raggedy Edge - Lookin' for Crew

Old Mar 12 '19, 7:03pm
Young Dragon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
The Raggedy Edge - Lookin' for Crew

The Raggedy Edge: A Firefly Riff - Forum
Cortex

Here's how it is...

About a year ago, some bitter old browncoat by the name of Malcolm Reynolds went and woke the dragon. Folks came to call this little turn of events the Miranda Broadcast, which laid bare the dirtiest of the Allianceís dirty secrets: the experiments they were conducting on their own people, experiments that led to the creation of the reavers. Whether you consider him a hero or an outlaw probably depends on which side of the law you stand on. Regardless, this made the Alliance mad as hornets, and they came down hard, not just on Reynolds, but on all sort of naughty folk who slip about on the fringes of the Verse.

Folk such as yourself.

Not long after, you were caught in an Alliance net. It donít much matter what the charge was, whether you were guilty as charged or innocent as a dove, the result was the same. You were charged and sentenced to five years hard labor. You ended up on a cold black rock the people who came before you called Sycorax.

The hours are long, the conditions are terrible, and the work is brutal, but thatís the least of your worries. Folk die on Sycorax with depressing regularity. And it ainít just the conditions or the labor that kills, itís the sickness. Spend too much time on Sycorax, and you start having nightmares. Once the nightmares set in, itís only a matter of time for the ol' grim reaper comes a callin'. The only cure is to get off this rock, but you ainít gettiní off anytime soon, are you?

Average life expectancy for the prisoners on Sycorax is six months. Youíve been there eight. Two nights ago, the nightmares started.

About me...
Name's Oz. As in, honest to god real life name. I'm the GM of this tale. If you hadn't notice by the lack of pictures or fancy script, I'm something of a minimalist. Sometimes, you get a bold or even a strikethrough. Exciting times, those.

I have a lot of experience GMing, practically zero with Cortex+, so this will be a learning experience for all of us. What I bring to the table is a love of collaborative storytelling and a fondness for the setting. What I leave behind is ego and elitism.

About you...
There are two things I need from you above all else: commitment and a willingness to work with others. This isn't about you. Or me. It's about the fiction. Bad things may happen to your character. If you have had a problem with that in the past, think carefully before applying.

Think about the next few months of your life. Are there any big changes on the horizon? A new job? A new relationship? A move? School? Real life always comes first, as it should. Do you see yourself dropping in a couple of months? Please do your fellow writers a favor and take a pass.

Still with me? Good.

Is there anything else? Probably. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh, unfamiliarity with the rules and/or setting. We should probably touch on that. Don't let either keep you from applying if you meet the above qualifiers. If you haven't, you really should watch the show. It's very good. If you're not familiar with the rules, don't let that stop you--it hasn't stopped me.

About this here game...
As I mentioned earlier, this yarn is powered by Cortex+, specifically, the Firefly core rulebook. Not Serenity. If you don't have a copy, you can pick one up on your online store of choice. If you don't have much experience, apply anyway, as I said above.

Storywise, this takes place in 2519, or eight years after the end of the Independence War (or Unification War, if you're a purplebelly). All the events of the series and movie are canon. If we move beyond the initial episode (Escape from Sycorax), we will transition to a more familiar episodic style, with the major plot arc being the fallout of the Miranda Event.

Character Concepts

I am looking for standard crew. Your character should have a bone to pick with the Alliance, if for no other reason than they stuck you on some godforsaken rock to die. Someone will need to play the Captain. Don't let it go to your head.

Given the harshness of the opening episode, I don't see a place for Companions or other soft-hand types, but if you're feeling frisky pitch me a concept. The only hard pass is Readers, or River Tam types, for two reasons. One, the concept doesn't mesh well in a group setting. The everything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better vibe is toxic. Two, anyone with those abilities who got picked up by the Alliance wouldn't have ended up on this rock but some other, and thus would not be a part of this tale. Dong le ma?

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Instead of starting with a character concept, let's do a questionnaire. Players will not be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. What I am looking for is eagerness and commitment. Which means that if there are two players I like who share the same role, I'm going to ask them to work it out. It's about the fiction, remember?

So, fill out the questionnaire. Tell me what you want to see. Tell me what you're excited about. If you have any comments, clarifications or questions, please feel free to post them below.

Meta
Please feel free to refer to the firefly wiki or other reference of your choice.

What is your experience with the firefly setting?

What is your experience with Cortex+?
  • Would you be willing to help adjucate rules questions?

Character

The current year is 2519.

In 2506, the Unification War began.
  • How old was YC (your character) at the outbreak of the war?
  • Did they live in the Core worlds? The Border? The Rim?
  • What planet, moon or skyplex did they live on?
  • What did YC do prior to the war?
  • What was YCís opinion of the war when it began?

2506-2511, the war years
  • How did the war change their life?
  • Were they a direct participant? If so, on which side? What role did they play?
  • What enemies/allies did YC make during this time?
  • No one survives a conflict of this magnitude unscathed. Name one regret from the war.
  • Name one closely guarded secret related to the war.
  • Name one thing/person YC lost as a result of the war.

2511 to 2518, post-war period
  • How was YCís opinion of the War affected by the grim reality of the conflict?
  • How did this change their opinion of the Alliance/Resistance?
  • Eight years have passed since the end of the war. What has YC been up to?
  • How have their experiences up to this point prepared YC for their role on the ship?
  • Describe one ally YC has gained during this time.
  • Describe one enemy YC has made during this time.

2519, current time
Eight months ago, YC was caught in an Alliance net and sentenced to five years hard labor. Since then, they have been on the remote asteroid Sycorax, where they have lived and worked, mining the asteroidís rich interior for rare metals. As a result of the harsh conditions on the asteroid, they are slowly dying and quite possibly going insane.
  • Right or wrong, what led to YCís imprisonment at the hands of the Alliance?
  • Something beyond the desire to survive drives YC to escape. What is it?

Note: Feel free to Private Text anything you feel other characters/players should not know.

Game Description:

Put this crew together with the promise of work, which the Alliance makes harder every year. Come a day there wonít be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you. Dong le ma? - Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmandius View Post
@Arklytte
I'm still waiting on that app. Time's running out my friend.
Yeah, sorry about that. The last week has been crazy...lots of OT at work and just general life stuff. I have an 'elevator pitch' bio written, but it needs expanding on, and I'm only about halfway through the questionairre. I'm going to try to get it all done tonight, if possible.

What is your experience with the firefly setting?

I love the series (have it on dvd, watched every episode, some multiple times). I love the movie (watched it multiple times). I have applied to a very finnicky GM (that's not a bad thing, btw: if you want a good game), but have not made the cut, both times with Serenity system.

What is your experience with Cortex+?

Nil

Would you be willing to help adjucate rules questions?

Of course, it's cooperative storytelling.

Character

Note: every character is going to be a grim survivor of the war. I have elected to offer you someone who was not directly involved in the war but a large event on the side that overshadowed it (for her). This might be an easy application for you to discard if you want all gruff, war-grizzled vetrans. I am prepared to be disappointed!

In 2506, the Unification War began.

My character was 6 (born in 2500)

Did they live in the Core worlds? The Border? The Rim?

The Rim

What planet, moon or skyplex did they live on?

Miranda (she was the first child born on that colony).

What did YC do prior to the war?

She was a child, homeschooled, spending a lot of time with her father.

What was YC’s opinion of the war when it began?

She was unaware of it.

2506-2511, the war years

How did the war change their life?

Since her Aunt Polly was sympathetic to the browncoat cause, they avoided the lawful core worlds and ran with lawless ships on the border.

Were they a direct participant? If so, on which side? What role did they play?

Was not a direct participant, but was raised by someone with strong browncoat sympathies.

What enemies/allies did YC make during this time?

Allies made:
Gary Gray (A self-proclaimed ninja)
Violet Carson (A Consort)
Darian Muse (A smuggler)

No one survives a conflict of this magnitude unscathed. Name one regret from the war.

Randa regrets that she never was able to participate in the fighting, because she wishes she could have done some damage to the alliance for what she now knows that they did to her parents, and her childhood.

Name one closely guarded secret related to the war.

The names of all those she helped get new identies for.

Name one thing/person YC lost as a result of the war.

2511 to 2518, post-war period

How was YC’s opinion of the War affected by the grim reality of the conflict?

After the revelation of the Miranda incident, Randa feels the rebellion was fully justified and only wishes that the browncoats could have won, and she could have somehow helped.

How did this change their opinion of the Alliance/Resistance?

She hates the alliance and approves of the resistance.

Eight years have passed since the end of the war. What has YC been up to?

She has been helping people change their identies to escape the Alliance and on the run with her Aunt Polly for fear of the "Miranda" secret. Now the secret has been (somewhat) revealed, but she still does not want to be identified as a "witness" of the Miranda project.

How have their experiences up to this point prepared YC for their role on the ship?

She is very well qualified (with little actual training) to be an exceptional ship's engineer and expert in security systems.

Describe one ally YC has gained during this time.

Gary Gray is a self-proclaimed ninja and a master of sneaky. The Grey Man also had many low connections and was able to pull in lots of different talents for big jobs. While Polly and Miranda were on his ship, The Beggar’s Choice, under the names Pol and Randa Pine, he got to know them well. He instructed them both in the arts of creating false identities, since he didn’t think they were very good at it. Uncle Gary also acted as a teacher for Miranda, showing her how to take identity lies and use The Signal to turn them into virtual truth. Mostly, though, he helped transform Miranda from a scuttling rat in the ship’s vents into a veritable ghost in the machine. He is a short man of middle age and non-descript features and a wiry build that makes him very dangerous in close combat. He has many ways to conceal his identity, so it is hard to descibe him and be sure you have the real man, but his secret signature is to always have piping or patchwork of grey on his clothing.

Describe one enemy YC has made during this time.

In progress

2519, current time
Eight months ago, YC was caught in an Alliance net and sentenced to five years hard labor. Since then, they have been on the remote asteroid Sycorax, where they have lived and worked, mining the asteroid’s rich interior for rare metals. As a result of the harsh conditions on the asteroid, they are slowly dying and quite possibly going insane.
Right or wrong, what led to YC’s imprisonment at the hands of the Alliance?

In Progress

Something beyond the desire to survive drives YC to escape. What is it?

In Progress

Friday of this week will be the last day I accept new applications. Folks who have already submitted apps will have time to work on them, but no new apps will be considered.

I should have responses to the new apps up in a day or so.

@whoiam
Everything looks good. I think you are good on this portion of the process.

@thesloth
Same as above. Your app looks good for now.

@Chevalier
You're good as well.

@Bearlord
Let me ruminate on this app. If anything suspect pops out, I'll let you know.

@Rata
Excellent app! Very good work. As with bearlord, let me think on it awhile.

@Wiz
I don't have an issue with your concept, but it does need some refinement/clarification.

As you know, the Miranda event happened in 2506, when YC was six years old. This killed everyone on Miranda with the exception of the ones who became reavers. YC could not have been on Miranda when this happened. She can still be from Miranda, but she must be off-world at the time of the Miranda Event to have survived it.

Which brings me to my second point. I would consider making her older than 6 at the time of the Event. If you want the loss of everything she knows to have a stronger impact, she needs to be a little older, imo. If you make her tweens or even early teens, she is going to be much more aware of what is happening.

Going a step further, the Alliance would have had a strong motivation to see YC and her family dead--whomever you decide escaped Miranda. They started a war at least in part to prevent the knowledge of Miranda from becoming public. They are going to do their best to tie up any loose ends. Like, hands-of-blue best, savvy?

It could be that YC and a few others had left Miranda for some reason and were on the return when the Event occurred. YC's ship could have been among the very first to be hit by reavers. YC and immediate friends and family could have survived, at least some of them, only to find themselves pursued by Alliance ops. By the end of the war, all of them, or most, are dead. The only reason YC is still alive is that the Alliance has no knowledge of her existence, for whatever reason.

This is not me dismissing your concept. I like it, and I think you have a strong chance. It just needs a little more work.

I don't know if you read my details in private, but I do disagree with one thought. There can only be two possible reactions to a drug... that makes no sense to me. I am considering your points and I will get back to you. I did have specific reasons for everything in her backstory. The Only way she could be native born to Miranda is her current age, unless you want to change the cannon on when Miranda was settled. Besides, I like the idea of her living in the tunnels like Newt in Aliens.

@Wiz
Hello again, Wiz.

I don't seen any private text in your post. If it's there, it's not to me

I admit I don't feel like I'm grasping your character concept, and the more I think about it, the harder a time I am having accepting it. It's a proof-of-concept thing. She is very young, and I can't imagine the Alliance was letting anyone off of Miranda at the time of the experiment, if for no other reason than that they were trying to keep the existence of the planet a secret--and did, know one knew about it.

If they were letting people off, word would have gotten out along with them.

Further, Pax as described has two outcomes: lose the will to live, or become a reaver. If YC was on the surface of Miranda at the time of the experiment, she would have suffered one of those two fates. Remember, this isn't a natural illness we are talking about.

With that said, I don't see how the rest of the application stands. Again, I don't have an issue with your character being tied to the Miranda experiment. Maybe she lived on a settlement in Burnham and was among the first hit by the reavers. Maybe she was with the researchers who were involved the experiment and didn't realize the full consequences of her actions. There is a lot you can do, I just don't see it happening with this app. Sorry.

Okay, try now. It was my automatic assumption that the gm could read it, but maybe that's only in the actual forum. If you can't read it now, let me know. Hopefully it will answer all your questions, then if it does not... we can talk some more. I don't want you accepting my application unless you feel it does stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Okay, try now. It was my automatic assumption that the gm could read it, but maybe that's only in the actual forum. If you can't read it now, let me know. Hopefully it will answer all your questions, then if it does not... we can talk some more. I don't want you accepting my application unless you feel it does stand.

Stealing a quick glance over the other applications, I'm kinda amused that both the 'mechanic' submissions were 19-year-old women with older browncoat-supporting relatives...