Notices

Koronus Sandbox

Old Mar 27 '19, 8:24am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Koronus Sandbox

Cant Take the Sky From Me - Forum
Rogue Trader

I am looking for one or two new players for the Rogue Trader game I am running. I'm willing to consider anything without significant overlap with the existing players.

To date the group has run several salvage missions, plundered a xeno world, dealt with a band of pirates. And is currently assaulting a primitive fortress world for fun and plunder.

The current roster consists of the rogue trader, a gunnery focused void master, an explorator, a seneschal, and a Tau firwarrior.

Last edited by ArcaneStomper; Mar 29 '19 at 11:44pm..
I'll put it this way: Anastasio, the Rogue Trader, is faithful in his own way, and pious enough not to want anything to do with Chaos, Halo Artifacts or anything that oversteps the bounds of the usual garden-variety profit-seeking activities of a RT. At the same time he's used to the whole freedom granted to a RT and the Imperium's fringe situation where even some inter-species trade is unofficially accepted by the Imperium. At least until such a time when the higher-ups decide to start a Crusade. And he and his Dynasty are more profit-focused due to his medium to long-term objectives.

TL;DR: RT is religious enough to not want anything too heretical, open-minded enough not to ruin most PC/players' concepts. You can get off with a lot in the fringes of Imperium space with a Writ of Trade.

No particular ties to Nobilite houses.

To anyone with more than one char concept they might want to play: if you have the drive, I'd say write down both of them for evaluation in the same thread. No need for it to be neatly complete, but it's always good to have options.

Edit2: So yeah, engagement and actually posting trumps basically all.

With a quick natter to ArcaneStomper (I'm sure that's the multi pilot big bugger from... was it battletech?) I threw in my loose end-fringer-Untouchable-Sister of Battle-rogue Psyker hunter in for consideration in any regard. Having someone who is not overtly heretical AND having no active Psyker in high rank? Rather suited to her!

If nothing else, I am an active poster, and she's happy to perform scripture, soldiering, and shootys

@Silke 99: I do have a fondness for game-orphan/legacy characters (as long as they aren't the reason they're orphaned), and also having a storytime to read.

Did you clear the mechanics with Arcane or considered having her retooled as a Missionary to make conversion easier? It seems a possibility since she seems mostly a beatstick & grill girl and that's in line with the career path. As for joining the ship, as opposed to just hitching a ride what do you think about service aboard the ship being a last favor from her old Inquisitor's allies to try and keep her safe from whatever politics-based purge follows after her backstory?

Most importantly, have you considered if she'd be able to restrain herself or be restrained as part of a RT crew? They do deal with semi-heretical (or heretical, for puritan standards) stuff all the time. And we currently have a PC alien on board.

Arcane said I should post her and he'll give it a look;

She's not very proficient at beatsticking mind you! Mostly she was good at getting beaten up a lot due to the armour/toughness, I almost exclusively relied on the flamers at melee range (and in the last rank Hit & Run was SO useful!) Mostly she was effective at sniping or scaring people by virtue of them assuming the Adepta Sororitas must not be far away
edit: Whoops! I see the confusion, I had her Ballistic Skill and Weapon Skill switched around! Corrected that now! Sorry yes she relies entirely on hoping she is in an environment she can use the flamers if she gets in melee, and the fact they don't have a test for shooting!

As far as restraint; as an Untouchable she never actually developed the Pure Faith talent/quality of her peers, and was taken at 18 by the Inquisition. If you look at her age now, you'll see she's spent a lot of time as an Acolyte cell. When I first played her she was really, really uptight; any mutation was bad, especially if it was around our psyker, but later there was this whole struggle with humanity arc that Shifty went through when he got a mutation, and the fact the ad mech was outright modifying people. In the end the conceit that she developed was: a. She had to follow the authority she was consigned to. b. That she may in fact be abhuman by being Untouchable. c.That her responsibility is rogue-psykers and cultists. She will advise against aliens and utations, she will resent being told otherwise, but she will do what she is told and be constantly vigilant for a chance to go I TOLD YOU SO!

She won't like the alien, but no she won't be condemning everyone else to be purged by flames for it.

(as a SoB player in 40k, I totally get that the default would be the above, and then recommend you get put in the penitent engine, but it's been a really, really odd journey in the Dark Heresy campaign!)

But absolutely I could have been sent to join up by Garrick! I've only done a few sessions where I was going through a few ports and executed a cultist psyker, so that could just have been en route to meet up?

Not that much so far. We had one just now using our grand cruiser to take on several small system monitors, and two small craft dogfights (one them being more of an escape while being shot at).

Anastasio had a (very short) Navy stint and really likes ships, though, so we do have a small fleet. A Repulsive-class grand cruiser, a Cobra-class destroyer, and a Goliath-class factory ship.

@Silke 99: That sounds reasonable enough. And yeah, BS focus really makes any mechanic conversion attempt trickier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caellath View Post
Not that much so far. We had one just now using our grand cruiser to take on several small system monitors, and two small craft dogfights (one them being more of an escape while being shot at).

Anastasio had a (very short) Navy stint and really likes ships, though, so we do have a small fleet. A Repulsive-class grand cruiser, a Cobra-class destroyer, and a Goliath-class factory ship.
Thanks for the information. Trying to decide on how many powers to focus on for use in ship combat, to help the ship. At least planning for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silke 99 View Post
(I'm sure that's the multi pilot big bugger from... was it battletech?)
*Pushes up nerd glasses*
Well atchually. It's from Macross. I don't recall what the exact name of the unit is, but it's a destroid type.
For extra nerd points I will say that Battletech stole/licensed several mecha designs from several anime (See phoenix hawk and marauder), but not this one I think. The Stone Rhino looks pretty close.

What was it? The Mach Monster or something? edit: Google-fu! It was the Monster MkII in Macross

@Caellath
If Serenity (I love that I named her that after Firefly and that's the open quote on the game) were to join, and we went with her reporting to you as an asset; is there anything you think sensible to put that 300 xp remaining to get me to the 5k RT level to?