Rolemaster Middle Earth Life in the Northern Kingdoms

Old Apr 6 '19, 4:47am
Sailor on the Seas of Fate

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Rolemaster Middle Earth Life in the Northern Kingdoms

Rolemaster Life in the Northern Kingdoms - Forum
Miscellaneous

The Game

It is the year 1407 of the Third Age and all is not well in the Northern Dunedain Kingdoms of Arthedain and Cardolan. The Witch King of Angmar's armies, attacking from his lands of Angmar and the neighbouring fallen Dunedain Kingdom of Arthedain, have breached the defences again and again with raids in recent years and the land bleeds.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. In Tharbad, a Cardolan river port and bridge town over the Gwathlo, some hundred and fifty miles south of Bree, business is booming. There is gold to be had from war refugees fleeing south. Gold to be had from caravans heading north laden with grain, weapons, armor. Mercenaries heading north for war gold require accommodation, perhaps a last taste of comfort before some border fort. Soldiers, in brief respites from the war, come seeking entertainment of one sort or an other, likely the other too.

The Tharbad City Guard are a necessarily pragmatic lot.

In short, it's a place where an up and coming subject of Cardolan can perhaps realise his, or her, ambitions be he, or she, be ever so humble... provided you are prepared to do what is necessary to achieve it.

Game Description:

The Game

This game is a Middle Earth game using Rolemaster. I realise newer systems more closely resemble Tolkein's world, but I don't care. I grew up with MERP, Rolemaster and Middle Earth, so that's what I am running with.

The World and Feel of the Game

The campaign starts in Tharbad, during the war with the Witch King of Angmar. Tharbad is a small city at the southern edge of the Northern Kingdoms, well the two of the three that remain, so it's far from the front lines (as far as pitched battles are concerned).

It will have a rather Shadowrun feel to it, since Tharbad as a city has a real Mos Eisley/Ankh Morpokh feel to it. Characters are more likely to be mercenaries on the make than anything else.

Please head to the Game Forum to find out more.

Last edited by Starhawk; Apr 6 '19 at 2:28pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by absitz View Post
I have no experience with the system but this is going to get me to look at it.
Let us know if you need a hand with it; Rolemaster is not a system for the faint of heart, sadly. A number of us have double-digit years of experience and can give you a hand making heads and tails of it all. Always out to spread the joy of Rolemaster to others, but it's definitely a system that one can use some guidance in figuring it out.

It seems real crunchy, at least the stuff I could find, but I like a bit of crunch. Need to find the second edition core book, having trouble even on drivethrurpg. Want to take chances at a beorn bear changer. Even if it doesnt work out I'm sure it will still be a fun character.

@GM How many players are you looking for and when is your deadline?

I don't have a plot for this game. There's various things to do but mostly I'm looking at how the players react to, possibly get ahead of, events.

Things I am pondering..

Would you want a game where you have to consider the 'faction' ramifications?
If so, would you want a game where you do a Yojimbo, and play faction off of faction?
Would you want to build something?
Would you want a base?
Would you want followers of one description or another?
Would you want to spend money on commercial concerns?
Would you want to, in the fullness of time, take over the city?

There's lots of ways it could go.. Chaos is coming and like Littlefinger said (before his untimely demise).. "Chaos is a ladder".

This is a MERP game? Man, the nostalgia I feel for that old system. The setting sourcebooks in particular were excellent. They really did a fantastic job of coloring in sections of Middle Earth only referenced or touched upon in tales. Iron Crown Enterprises had a deep love of Tolkien.

And, on the system tip, the critical hit tables were legendary.

Yeah, MERPish. Rolemaster is the beefier big brother of MERP.

@absitz

I'm looking for five characters. I like to strike while the iron is hot.. pacing is the death of games on Mythweavers.. people wander off. So for a deadline I am going to go with April 21st.

Valsai is presently working on a character sheet in the forums. Just copy and paste the format of his sheet, enter different details and that'll get your started.

Along the lines of the plots you've mentioned, I'll suggest:

Clean up an old abandoned / destroyed settlement and refound it with new settlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakootoko View Post
Lots of fighters so far. Guess I'll work on a wizard.
Yeah...about 80% of my active characters at the moment are casters, I needed a break. XD Push comes to shove, though, if we're too far Arms-heavy, I'll rework as a Lay Healer, it's not a huge deal for me.

Sorry to say, after reading through the magic rules again, I failed to get any inspiration for a spellcasting character.

The character I thought up is going to be either a fighter or rogue, to be decided later in the creation process.