Rise of Skywalker - Page 10 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

Sorry, Colin. I wasn't trying to break a rule; I was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaphone View Post
Neglect your core fanbase at your own peril.
Core fanbase... as in all the many, many people still paying to go and see their movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
It is difficult to see how anything could be more awful than The Last Jedi.
So... you haven't seen the prequels, then?

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot of mileage left in some people saying "these films were bad!" and others saying "no, they were good!" - at this point we're pretty much into the subjectivity of film taste and, at any rate, I doubt anyone is going to change their mind just because someone else from somewhere across the internet told them they should enjoy/not enjoy something.

I agree with Fred that people are unlikely to be convinced, even when a combination of statistics, critical reviews and basic facts are in the mix. But I can't imagine a world where we all don't try anyway, because if 2+2=5, Big Brother already won.

In terms of toys, I think they made a mistake of not having an alien as one of the core new characters. BB-8 is cool, and seems to be the most popular of the new characters but, especially for kids, I just don't think any of the others have much draw. Rey is popular because (pseudo-)Jedi, of course, but Finn and Poe are just a couple of dudes when it comes down to it, and that's not very fun or exciting. Of course Chewy is still there, and they introduced Maz Kanata and the porgs, but they're just minor side character. I think having a fun alien as one of the core characters would have helped liven things up a bit.

It wouldn't have made the movies any better, of course, I just think it was a missed opportunity. (And that's not to say I think the movies are bad perse, although in my opinion they weren't great. Last Jedi especially was a pretty big misstep, but I apparently didn't hate it as much as some - I'm still looking forward to Last Jedi, though not with a massive amount of eagerness or high expectations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Core fanbase... as in all the many, many people still paying to go and see their movies?
The new movies being Solo, which bombed at the box office.

Solo had 392.9 million dollars in box office sales, Banana. That isn't bombing at the box office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
Solo had 392.9 million dollars in box office sales, Banana. That isn't bombing at the box office.
To quote myself earlier in the thread:

Quote:
It's this reality. A $275 million budget, unknown hundred million in marketing for a return of $392 million? There's a reason the breaks have suddenly been hit on the envisioned Star Wars Movie Every Year and the franchise is taking a break after Episode 9.
The hiatus was recently just revealed to be a single, new trilogy every other year starting in the 2020s. A trilogy that doesn't have anything to do with the current new trilogy.

Quote:
The new movies being Solo, which bombed at the box office.
Yet when the video came out, I recall Solo being the number one Blu Ray movie on Amazon, and the number one digital sale on Google Play at the same time. Certainly the timing was off on that movie, but I saw nothing wrong with it. In fact, I have only seen negative comments on the internet. Living, breathing people whom I can see with my own eyes and talk to without a computer? Not a single negative comment. It's as if the internet isn't real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
Yet when the video came out, I recall Solo being the number one Blu Ray movie on Amazon, and the number one digital sale on Google Play at the same time. Certainly the timing was off on that movie, but I saw nothing wrong with it. In fact, I have only seen negative comments on the internet. Living, breathing people whom I can see with my own eyes and talk to without a computer? Not a single negative comment. It's as if the internet isn't real life.
I actually liked, certainly more than the rest of the Disney canon outside of Rouge One.