Rise of Skywalker - Page 11 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
Yet when the video came out, I recall Solo being the number one Blu Ray movie on Amazon, and the number one digital sale on Google Play at the same time. Certainly the timing was off on that movie, but I saw nothing wrong with it. In fact, I have only seen negative comments on the internet. Living, breathing people whom I can see with my own eyes and talk to without a computer? Not a single negative comment. It's as if the internet isn't real life.
People not thinking it was terrible isn't the point - it bombed at the box office because fans weren't interested after the very polarising TLD. That it did better on Blu Ray is others hearing "the movie isn't that bad" and giving it a try.

I stand by my original comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigLickJF View Post
In terms of toys, I think they made a mistake of not having an alien as one of the core new characters. BB-8 is cool, and seems to be the most popular of the new characters but, especially for kids, I just don't think any of the others have much draw. Rey is popular because (pseudo-)Jedi, of course, but Finn and Poe are just a couple of dudes when it comes down to it, and that's not very fun or exciting. Of course Chewy is still there, and they introduced Maz Kanata and the porgs, but they're just minor side character. I think having a fun alien as one of the core characters would have helped liven things up a bit.
Rey is popular? Compared to who? Rose? Rey is a Mary Sue who can do everything perfectly without having put any effort into it. Somehow she is an ace pilot even though she had to work for food and thus too poor to afford as much as a speeder. She knows Mind Trick the day after she found out about the force. She knows how to repair the MF better than Han with no schooling or experience. BTW her action figure was selling about as badly as any other of the SW action figures. Poe OTOH is the only one on either side who has a clue about the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaphone View Post
People not thinking it was terrible isn't the point - it bombed at the box office because fans weren't interested after the very polarising TLD. That it did better on Blu Ray is others hearing "the movie isn't that bad" and giving it a try.

I stand by my original comment.
Agreed, it wasn't bad. It was a decent popcorn flick. It bombed because TLJ was a huge disaster. People went to see it because it was Star Wars and it got a huge opening after that. By the time word got around on how much it sucked it already made its money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
Rey is popular? Compared to who? Rose? Rey is a Mary Sue who can do everything perfectly without having put any effort into it. Somehow she is an ace pilot even though she had to work for food and thus too poor to afford as much as a speeder. She knows Mind Trick the day after she found out about the force. She knows how to repair the MF better than Han with no schooling or experience. BTW her action figure was selling about as badly as any other of the SW action figures. Poe OTOH is the only one on either side who has a clue about the military.
With kids, in my experience, girls especially. To me, none of the characters are really stand-out good. I don't hate any of them, but but I don't love them either. I understand and to a certain extent agree with the Mary Sue criticisms of Rey, but it doesn't bother me all that much and I find her an otherwise pretty likable character. Same with Finn and Poe - they're likable enough in their own ways, but there's nothing really special or memorable about them overall.

I'm not that surprised about the action figure sales, though. It's part of what I was talking about with the aliens. The Star Wars characters are just people, and pretty boring-looking people at that. In an action figure market where you're competing with the colorful, flashy, and fun/interesting designs of superheroes, etc. it's pretty hard for a girl with beige rags and a stick and guy with a cool jacket to compete, no matter the source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratwalk View Post
Solo definitely felt drab.
I do not have to put up with this abuse.

Quote:
The words "Now this is podracing" come to mind...

Seriously, I re-watched The Phantom Menace Menace recently, and Anakin does something analogous to everything you just listed short of the Jedi Mind Trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
I do not have to put up with this abuse.

The words "Now this is podracing" come to mind...

Seriously, I re-watched The Phantom Menace Menace recently, and Anakin does something analogous to everything you just listed short of the Jedi Mind Trick.
1) Anakin was the Chosen One while Rey is not. That gives you certain perks.
2) Anakin did race in a pod and so has at least some experience in driving real fast.

Quote:
1) Anakin was the Chosen One while Rey is not. That gives you certain perks.
2) Anakin did race in a pod and so has at least some experience in driving real fast.
Kid Anakin's mechanical genius was OP compared to Rey, as the first was a 10-years old who mucked about and she is an adult who made a living out of scavenging.

Qui Gon explained his reflexes during races with a low-grade ability to foresee events and act at the right time, but yes, at least he had had some experience before. It also needs to be noted that kid-Anakin never managed to get to the finish line before the race in the Phantom Menace, so there had been only failures before.

Chosen One...weeell, we'll have to wait and see if they don't retcon that piece of business to fit the new trilogy. Without any regard to Lucas' original intentions, I will admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigredo View Post
Kid Anakin's mechanical genius was OP compared to Rey, as the first was a 10-years old who mucked about and she is an adult who made a living out of scavenging.

Qui Gon explained his reflexes during races with a low-grade ability to foresee events and act at the right time, but yes, at least he had had some experience before. It also needs to be noted that kid-Anakin never managed to get to the finish line before the race in the Phantom Menace, so there had been only failures before.

Chosen One...weeell, we'll have to wait and see if they don't retcon that piece of business to fit the new trilogy. Without any regard to Lucas' original intentions, I will admit.
She is at best equal to Anakin in experience as regards to mechanical stuff. Watto owned a shop that sold droids and things. Arguably he learned at least something from that by talking to some of the customers. Watto might well have had data cubes on mechanical stuff lying about to help him with his trade. It would help him in suggesting what goods people should buy from him. She is a mere scavenger. About the only thing she needs to know about is the price.

Quote:
She is at best equal to Anakin in experience as regards to mechanical stuff. Watto owned a shop that sold droids and things. Arguably he learned at least something from that by talking to some of the customers. Watto might well have had data cubes on mechanical stuff lying about to help him with his trade. It would help him in suggesting what goods people should buy from him. She is a mere scavenger. About the only thing she needs to know about is the price.
I will admit I have no mechanical experience to draw parallels, but I would suppose she had to understand what still worked and what didn't, and how to take stuff apart without compromising its workings. Otherwise she would end up with worthless junk until she learned better.

We have no idea about Rey's background on Jakku, she might have been in a similar position to kid Anakin's in her earlier years. Either way, she had more time to develop hand-on experience.

I didn't have problems with the part she comes to the same conclusions as Han about the MF. Her sitting in the pilot's chair and knowing perfectly what levers to pull and buttons to push bugged me. I doubt an aerospatial engineer could just enter an airplane and pilot it as she did the Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaphone View Post
The new movies being Solo, which bombed at the box office.
Well yes, if you focus on the least-successful 25% of the new movies, they look less successful than if you look at the two which were almost-record-breaking box-office smash-hits (as compared to all movies of all time).

Of course box office success is irrelevant when discussing whether you actually enjoy something, but when discussing whether you actually enjoy something you have to admit that it's pure subjectivity.
Quote:
Rey is a Mary Sue who can do everything perfectly without having put any effort into it.
Can we just quit with this now? It's basically trolling.

Being "a Mary Sue" is typified by a number of things, most of which do not apply to Rey (especially not in The Last Jedi, which did a great job as developing her character as everything other than a Mary Sue), but especially by tone which is a lot harder to define and admittedly somewhat subjective, but most definitely not present here.

There is some lazy writing which involves Rey being a bit better than she ought to be in a couple of places for the purposes of moving forward the plot; this is not a reflection upon her character, but the plot itself. I honestly don't feel it's necessary to go blow-by-blow into all the ridiculous "Mary Sue" allegations because they're pretty obviously BS, plus it's already been done to death in the last Star Wars thread (and anyway I have better things to do with my life).

tl;dr, go watch The Phantom Menace; it was worse in pretty much every way than either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi.