Stupid Rules and such - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Stupid Rules and such

Stupid Rules and such

There are a lot of these kinds of things, but I feel the need to point out that the Short Sword does Piercing damage, but not Slashing damage. A Longsword does Slashing damage but not Piercing damage, a Dagger does both kinds of damage, and a Rapier deals Piercing damage only.

Well the Rapier and Dagger are fine (although Rapiers did have sharp edges), but both swords should deal P and S damage. The Greatsword only deals Slashing damage, but if I was going to make an argument there I'd probably suggest it deals Bludgeoning damage as well.

I am thinking too much about this, but the Short Sword is definitely the stupidest one of these.

As far as my best knowledge goes, the short sword attempts to emulate a gladius, which is primarily a thrusting sword.

But as far as stupid weapons and armor go, it's such a rabbit hole that I think this counts as pretty minor overall.

And to quote Gary Gygax:
Quote:
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."
In other words, if you want a weapon to do something, then just allow it.

Gygax should apply that same philosophy to his love of polearms. Just how many different polearms did he need in the first place.

Also that philosophy is a quick way to get annoyed players.

Unless it's important if a guy wants to describe himself slashing with a shortsword who am i to argue with damage type? Barring DR it's something I don't even consider.

Hey, it could be 5e, in which your Greataxe can at will do exactly the same amount of nonlethal damage that is still, RAW, defined as “slashing.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actana View Post
Gygax should apply that same philosophy to his love of polearms. Just how many different polearms did he need in the first place.

Also that philosophy is a quick way to get annoyed players.
I think you fail to appreciate the subtly of the glaive-glaive-guisarme-glavie!

Gimme a voulge-fork any day, I still have trouble differenciating a ranseur from a chauve souris, or maybe it is from a corsèque... I think I'll excavate my UA and check at once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
Gimme a voulge-fork any day, I still have trouble differenciating a ranseur from a chauve souris, or maybe it is from a corsèque... I think I'll excavate my UA and check at once...
It's simple! If the sideblades go sideways and then up towards the enemy, it's a ranseur. If they go up near the blade itself and then curve out sideways, like wings, it's a chauve souris, a.k.a. corseque!