First Characters - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

First Characters

First Characters

Do any of you remember your first characters? Some people forget theirs, while others remember them vividly. Some people hated them, while others adored them. Most people, regardless of how well they like or remember their first character, learned something valuable from the experience...
So I want to know, what did your first character teach you?
Personally, I haven't even made my first character yet... I have downloaded the three core books on D&D 3.5, and am currently learning the basics of tabletop. I hope the replies in this post will.give me some insight as to how I can best create a memorable, and functional character.

Beyond the stuff I made for play-your-own adventures with the Basic D&D boxed set, as a matter of fact I do.

AD&D 1e. 5th level Magic-User/Fighter/Cleric. Rolled a 99 on the "do you have psionics" table, ended up with telekinesis and animal empathy. Primary weapons was a +2 Dragon Slayer. First adventure was The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Had a blue dragon on the cover. and My dragon slayer was x3 damage to blue dragons. Killed it in one hit.

The things you can remember from 28 years ago...

D&D 3.5e - Human Monk. Should have ran away from the fight and didn't. Lesson learned - sometimes running away is the better option and that curiosity can kill the character.

Second character was a Dwarf Fighter. Died after falling from an unknotted rope taking over 100 damage and that weakened me enough to have been killed by flesh eating cockroaches. Lesson learned - knot your ropes if you have a lousy climb skill or are wearing heavy armour. This same character also tried swimming in heavy armour........ that was my other lesson learned. 2 For the price of 1.

Yeah I was a total noob but I can laugh at the experiences of the Dwarf Fighter. I'm now a bit smarter and none of my characters since have met Kelemvor.

Human fighter.

Ended up getting an axe in his back while trying to steal from a blacksmith, then ran looking for a healer only to get tricked by the person who wasn't really a healer, but some sort of evil thingy that sent him to an alternative realm of nothingness, to wander for all eternity, suffering the pain of the axe stuck in his back for all eternity..

Half-elf warlock. Talked in nerdvoice. Name started with V. Reason he met party? While spending some gold at the shop, one of the other characters was 12 gold short, so I lent him some money. He promises to repay me at a tavern that night.

Elf Druid. Survived two sessions before the DM burnt out, not that I could really blame him. Our entire party (myself included) was chaotic stupid. But hey, we were all 15.

Hammerfist, my half orc monk, and a great story of failure But also a great lesson that all of us are noobs at some point.

He's probably the reason I still have issues with 3rd edition D&D!

First RL game character - Halfling Rogue

After surviving from level 3 to 18, went first into a fight with a lich and died to Wail of the Banshee. Lesson - when dealing with undead, just let the cleric handle it. (What I wish I had known then - when you have the money, enchant your armor with Soulfire.)

First OL game character - Human Shadow Dancer

Ravenloft campaign...read someone's mind...went insane...lesson learned... Also, be very careful what you
The spell
Wish for because DMs will twist your words if you aren't specific enough. It's like getting a wish from the devil.

With my first character, I really explored the freedom of pen and paper games. He had huge curiosity and explored everything to the smallest detail. He must have really put the gm through the ringer, forcing him to invent what a mural tastes like and silly stuff like that. It was very immersive, and the world felt real to me.

When that game ended several months later, I realized how much energy it takes to run a character like that. The lesson: Playing a character full-tilt is exhausting, but incredibly rewarding.

My first 3.5 character was a Half-Orc Druid. Back then we didn't realize becoming a lich cut you off from some druid powers ( which I believe I read years later in one of the FAQs) regardless I ran that character for a good 4 years, solid campaign.