This week in video games... - Page 716 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Heroes and generals is actually pretty fun in terms of the mechanics, but sadly it's pay to win and you have to grind a lot. I'm kind of tired of games where you don't start out with all the weapons and options, there should be like two options, a sandbox option and then a competition option that can be pay to win. Especially considering how many are shutting down recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinShoes View Post
Heroes and generals is actually pretty fun in terms of the mechanics, but sadly it's pay to win and you have to grind a lot. I'm kind of tired of games where you don't start out with all the weapons and options, there should be like two options, a sandbox option and then a competition option that can be pay to win. Especially considering how many are shutting down recently.
But than how would they make money? Remember, so called "free" to play games make most of their profits not from the casual player most of whom don't ever pay at all but from the 1% of people who spend all their money, all of it down to their life savings on pay to win over those casuals. Giving you a sandbox option would literally remove the bait they use to ensnare such people.

I know I've spent plenty on Free to Play Games.. I've had League of Legends for.. somewhere around 6-7 years now or more? And that doesn't even give my any advantage over anything.. As for Pay to Win mobile isk games I tend to not spend a single penny on them and usually lose interest within a week or two of starting to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Holy Wor View Post
4 days until pillars of eternity 2...
Now I just need to beat POE1 .

Am I the only one who's sick to death of how games seem to be released half done and than you have to spend the next couple years paying for DLC to actually implement the mechanics that it was supposed to have in the first place?

Like I remember a time when all I had to do was plop in a CD, install and newer had to have any contact with the company ever again.

There's a certain amount of rose tinted glasses in that view. Sure, back in the "olden days" you just plopped in a CD and ran the game - but all the bugs in that game would never be fixed, and the contents it had were what you got. Those DLC mechanics that the game "was supposed to have in the first place"? Probably would never have existed back then. Unless you bought the "expansion pack"...

Besides, games are far larger and more complex beings these days. Yes, there are more bugs. No, the relative amount of bugs per content likely have not changed all that substantially. The thing is, those bugs have a chance to get fixed now.

Are there problems with DLC-mongering, unfinished games and cashgrabs? Sure, of course there are. But we're still in a far better place right now than we were "back then". The amount of games is much higher as well, as is their overall quality. So there are more than enough games which are made finished or patched for free.