And the World Will Never Be the Same Again!!! - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

And the World Will Never Be the Same Again!!!

Old Jul 4 '19, 11:03am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
And the World Will Never Be the Same Again!!!

And the World Will Never Be the Same Again - Forum
Miscellaneous

AND THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!

Credit to Robert Bye at Unsplash

And there came a day... United in action, firm in purpose... Changed into something more than human...

Introduction: Welcome to And the World Will Never Be the Same Again!* This is a Champions campaign using Champions Complete, part of Hero System 6E. You don’t need the Hero System 6E corebooks — that’s why they call it “Complete.”

So what will you be playing? Superheroes, oddly enough.

To be a bit more specific, the campaign will be ostensibly set in the present day, but will be modeled on DC and especially Marvel superhero comics of the 1960s through the mid-1980s. Superheroes as a genre are famously hybrid: the other genre that will impinge most often on these stories will be pulpy science fiction, especially space opera, but there will also be elements of such classic superhero story types as crime, mystery, and government conspiracy. As you can probably tell, while I’m shooting for something that will feel broadly Silver and Bronze Age, there will be particular influences drawn from superhero comics of the 1970s, at least in my planned opening story.

Most characters should be classic superheroes of a type that would fit into the comics of that general era, and ideally should be based on science-fiction and pseudoscientific themes rather than supernatural ones. But I’m very open to being sold on something a little different. After all, the joy of Champions (aside from the thrill of doing basic arithmetic over and over again) is the ability to realize an enormous variety of concepts in quirky detail.

The premise is that your characters are all near the beginning of their careers, and have had their own solo titles for no more than a year. Your solo characters have been brought together in a team book: the original Justice League or Avengers model. You are all the superheroes that exist. If you don’t save the world, who will?

Application procedure: As usual, you apply by making a thread in the Applications folder in the Game Forum. I have some information there about character creation (themes, points, guidelines for power levels, etc.) and more detail about what I’m looking for in an application. The most important thing is the concept. I’d like to have at least four players, and there’s room for at least seven.

My expectations: Players are expected to post at least two to three times a week under normal circumstances. For myself, I’m going to be trying out QuirkyJoe’s patented method of a regular update schedule as GM, updating the game outside combat every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Champions combat, being rather involved, will probably require everyone (especially me) to update more often. If it’s your turn to post in combat, whether it’s because it’s your Phase or because you have the option to Abort, and 24 hours have gone by without you at least checking in to say that you’re busy, I reserve the right to NPC your character (normally by having them do something defensive).

PbP works best with proactive characters who make decisions and do things without worrying too much about whether it’s the optimal thing to do, and that’s also the way superheroes act in the action-packed 18-page comics that are inspiring this game. That’s what I’m looking for. It may get your characters into trouble sometimes, but trouble is better than boring.

Deadline for applications: August 8th.

*Yes, I know it should be “And the World Will Never Again Be the Same.”

Game Description:

A Champions 6E game, set in a superhero universe that approximates the present day, but with heavy influences from Marvel and DC comics from the Silver and Bronze Ages. The player characters are at the beginning of their careers, and are all the superheroes in existence. If they don’t save the world, who will?

Good to hear. I deliberately had a deadline of a little over a month because I know from experience how time-consuming Hero character creation can be. Especially in Champions when you go crazy and decide you are going to add 15 modifiers to make this power function exactly the way that you want.