Giantslayer - Spheres of Power

Old Jun 24 '19, 7:01am
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Giantslayer - Spheres of Power

Giantslayer: With Spheres - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion

Giantslayer

In the human town of Trunau, a beleaguered settlement surrounded by the brutal orcs of the Hold of Belkzen, the heroes must investigate a mysterious death. Before they uncover the truth, however, Trunau comes under attack by an orc army, and the heroes must help defend it, only to discover the real reasons behind both the murder and the orc raid.

Starting Out: This adventure takes place in the town of Trunau in the Hold of Belkzen, one of only a few human settlements in the otherwise orc-dominated land. Your character should be residents of Trunau or recent arrivals to the small town. If your character is from Trunau or makes frequent visits then you should be familiar with the town, with some details available toward the end of the Player's Guide. If your character is new to the area then you should not be as familiar.

At the start of the adventure, Trunau’s citizens have gathered in the Commons, the large amphitheater in the center of town, to celebrate the birthday of Ruby, the youngest daughter of the town’s leader, Chief Defender Halgra of the Blackened Blades. It is not just any birthday for Ruby though, it is her twelfth birthday, which means she has come of age and will receive her very own hopeknife. Halgra is officiating the ceremony, assisted by Kurst and Rodrik Grath, prominent members of the town militia and the two eldest sons of Patrol Leader Jagrin Grath.

Why? I am running this game for a couple of reasons. The primary reason is that I am interested in testing the Spheres of Power and Might system for myself, and I would much rather use a premade adventure for this. Secondly, this is an adventure I have wanted to give a try now for some time. For this reason I would prefer players that are new to both the Spheres system and this adventure, though I don't know if there will be enough interest with those limitations. Those already experienced with Spheres are welcome to apply, as the quality of the application will still have a large impact on selection. I want this to be an enjoyable game, even if I am mostly using it to learn a new system.

Expectations: As far as post rate goes I think a few times a week should be sufficient. Three seems like a good number.

My personal view on rules are that they are guidelines and are not so ironclad that arguing over them should get in the way of fun. If you tend to argue over wording or ask for exemptions then this isn't the game for you. Simple questions or clarifications are another thing.

If you own this AP, please do not follow along. This is no fun for anyone but you. Or, if you do, at least do not ruin it for others (myself included) or correct me when I change things. Yes, I have had this happen before.

Get into character. Have fun with it.

Recruitment: I will be looking for around four to six players. I will probably be keeping the application process open for quite a while since I am new to the system, and likely so are at least some of the applicants. I am thinking three to four weeks, but I am not going to currently set a hard due date until I get an idea of how many applicants there will be and how long it will take people to complete applications.

If you are interested you can submit an application as a separate thread in the character creation subgroup.

Game Description:

Please read the Giantslayer Player's Guide before you get started.

Level: 1

Scores: 25 point-buy.

Health: Max at first level. Rolling for all subsequent levels, but re-rolling any 1s.

Race: Any from the Core, Featured, and Uncommon sections of the Advanced Race Guide. Gnoll, Lizardfolk, Monkey Goblin, Skinwalker, Ghoran, Entobian, Minotaur, Centaur, and just about any halfbreed from DSP's Bloodforge book is allowed. The Alraun, Cecaelia, Cherufe, Created, Cuazaj, Fenghaung, Noble Orc, Sidhier, and Tatulani from Drop Dead Studios (same group that created Spheres) is also allowed. Certain races can be replaced by a third party's statistics, such as this replacing the normal Kobold. It only really changes the ability scores to something more manageable. Other third party races will be considered on a case by case.

Class: Spheres of Power and Might preferred. Champion classes are allowed, even the ones listed as 3PP. Archetypes of Pathfinder classes that incorporate the Spheres are allowed. Willing to consider normal Pathfinder classes that do not cast spells.

Alignment: Any except True Neutral, but like most adventures good and neutral make more sense. There is no alignment restriction on classes. Monks and paladins must still have a personal code of some sort. You may use an already existing set or create your own as long as you get DM approval.

Starting Wealth: Average per class.

Traits: Two. No drawbacks. No traits that give more starting wealth or weapons/armor. One must be a campaign trait from the player's guide.

House Rules: You can use the Background Skills and Elephant in the Room.

Advanced and Legendary Talents currently aren't allowed but may be opened up at a later level.

Everyone may take an additional feat at first level but must be something "fun". Static bonuses are not "fun", so no Weapon Focus, TWF, Stealthy, Extra Sphere Talents, or commonly used feats like Power Attack (granted this one is free with Feat Taxes, but just an example). It should be something to provide a little flavor, not simply to make your character stronger.

Classes that only receive 2 + Int skill points per level now gain 4 + Int skill points per level.

Format your application however you want but please include the following information.

Name:
Race:
Class: Include archetype.
Alignment:
Campaign Trait:
Personality or Goals:
Background: Please include how long you have been in Trunau and/or why.

Try to include your character sheet somewhere. It doesn't have to be 100% but the more thorough you are the more interest it shows.

Last edited by Infestation; Jun 24 '19 at 7:10am..
hi from australia Victoria I like to join this game for I never play with the Spheres of Power and Might system or the Giantslayer ap here the info for my character
Name: Darius Darkblade
Race: drow
Class: dragoon Violent Brute
Alignment:NE
Campaign Trait:Giant-Blooded
Personality or Goals: To make some gold and find he's sister
Background Darius is hatred given form. beaning born as bastard son of warleader from a sub set of House Caldrana from the young age he lean he had to be mean and wrathful for if he what to get ahead in life he have to do it himself . there only 2 thing's that care about beside himself, one is he's drake companion name Spite who given to him because it was the runt there other was he's half sister a half drow who was the only to show kindest who was sold as slave to some unknown buyer by one of his older sister who he killed and now has left for the surface to find her and make he's own way in life.

if you to ask me anything give me a call on my discord Warlord Draxus#0148

I'm new here, but will definitely make an effort to create an app! Looks like neat opportunitu to learn more about the SoP system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab Burrwalky View Post
So, will the Spheres of Power and Might totally replace the usual pathfinder ruleset for combat and magic, or just augment them?
Replace for the most part. I would probably okay a normal Pathfinder martial class if the story was good but I do not want to mix the Spheres of Power and normal casting classes.

I have a little experience with spheres, but not much. I started playing another Spheres game here like a month and a half ago, and have been through exactly one combat. I have the books but don't get to use them much because I mainly play Pathfinder Society when I play in person, so looking forward to this.

I just saw this today and I haven't made a character yet, but this is what I want to play.

Name: Roderick "Rod" Shadowcrest
Race: Human
Class: Magus (Mystic archetype)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Campaign Trait: Vexing Defender
Personality or Goals: Generally pleasant until you make me mad. My goals are to receive the martial and magical training needed to keep my family, friends, and townsfolk safe from the orcs and other dangers that surround us, and to have a family of my own one day.
Background: Born and raised in Trunau, lived here all my life. My living relatives are my mom, my younger sister, one aunt and uncle, and two cousins. My dad was a merchant. When I was 12 he was killed by the orcs who attacked his caravan.

What firearms rules are you using? The martial discipline I want includes proficiency with pistol and musket. The Pathfinder default is "emerging guns", but I don't know if you're using that, "no guns", or something else. If it's anything less than "emerging guns" then I'll pick something different.

As far as the additional feat you're giving us, would something like Ride By Attack or Cantrips fit the criteria, or are you looking for something more background flavor like maybe Deific Obedience or One With the Land?

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to allow Shabti? I'm not planning anything degenerate, but I do have a pretty weird concept in mind, and the unearthly, immortal shells of long-dead kings make for a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrirlokison View Post
Still recruiting? I would like to look over this~
Same here. While not familiar with SoP, I’d like to learn.