Eversky: Eye of the Abyss - A Heroic Fantasy Steampunk Adventure - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Eversky: Eye of the Abyss - A Heroic Fantasy Steampunk Adventure

Old Sep 1 '10, 9:46pm
Elder Dragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Closed Game

Closed Game - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Closed Game

Last edited by BadDecisionDino; Jun 20 '19 at 10:44pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark080matter View Post
First let me say that I really love Themes.

The thing about themes is that they are literally something for nothing: a deliberate power-up of Dark Sun characters that extends from first level to epic tier. I'm not sure that a feat slot alone is enough of a compensation for the encounter power (and subsequent free power-swapping) that they grant.

The other problem is that they are awfully Dark Sun specific. Well you can reflavor anything that's not a race essentially, but allowing the DS Themes kind of begs for homebrew Themes for Eversky based on the limited number that yet exist. If that's not a road you want to go down at this point, perhaps you might wish to reconsider allowing them (although I would certainly enjoy crafting a theme for my own character that the DM is then at liberty to approve, I'm not sure that's a great approach either).
Definitely worth mulling over. For now, I'll just advise you not to get attached to Themes, because I'm very much on the fence with them at the moment.

So in further response to DarkMatter, I'm thinking two things:

1 - Before I allow them, I'd like to take suggestions for what would be a fair sacrifice for access to a Theme. Keep in mind that not everyone has a Dark Sun book, or the patience to choose from an even wider array of powers than the myriad options that are available with multiclassing and hybriding, so I'd really like to not make it mandatory to be competitive.

2 - As far as Custom Brewed Themes go, I'd really prefer if you guys didn't go off making your own power mechanics. I have a very limited scope for how to keep mechanics balanced in a game, and the few modifications I've house-ruled already, I've tried to keep pretty humble. There are plenty of powers between the 10 Themes presented, and as we're already allowing heavy reflavoring, I'm sure you can find something that would fit your character. The furthest I'd allow in terms of this path would be the creation of a Custom Theme made up of powers from the 10 existing themes. So for example, you could have the lvl 1 power from one theme, and the lvl 2 power from another. You'd have to submit the list beforehand though.

So I looked through the information and couldn't find anything about the drow beside knowing that they are from the shattering islands, any chance that I know what's the level of technology is like there? Most likely they are fighting each other due to drow dynasty and thriving to be the best but since I'm going to play an outcast anyway some more info from where my character would be from is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Emerald View Post
So I looked through the information and couldn't find anything about the drow beside knowing that they are from the shattering islands, any chance that I know what's the level of technology is like there? Most likely they are fighting each other due to drow dynasty and thriving to be the best but since I'm going to play an outcast anyway some more info from where my character would be from is appreciated.
In the last iteration of the setting, Drow had a write-up closer to this:

For the most part, Drow are often too busy fighting amongst each other to spend much time developing the technology necessary for long voyages outside their own lands. Drow society is broken into hundreds of sects that continuously do battle for supremacy in the Shatterlands, riding to battle from island to island on the beasts of the Underdark, and taking refuge in the shadows beneath as they forge tenuous alliances and betray trusts. Traditionally, Drow have never worshipped any particular deity, with houses instead choosing to enter into “pacts” with demons and beings of chaos. Recently, however, there have been tales of a new, growing sect of Drow, united under a single banner by a figure known as Lolth, the Spider Queen.

But as the setting has progressed to a more advanced time period, I wonder how the Drow civlization may have changed. I envision them as a kind of dark, unknown threat that is still brewing. They were driven underground by the Eladrin decades ago, but who knows when they might rise again?

I have no particularly big plans for the race at the moment, so if you'd like, you could try shooting out an idea of what you're envisioning. Maybe we can come up with something interesting for them to be doing. Have they united under the Spider Queen, or are they still warring? Would they have gone the Magic route, or the Tech route? Would they have had the resources to pursue both? Given their nature, have they Gone Too Far in either of these fields?

Posted interest back in the interest thread, so I'll just get started on my application now. *Still Incomplete*

My idea is kind like you imagine. Lolth is merciless and most likely a couple of zealots to her cause, proved a ruthlessness that was never seen before. I can imagine a couple of houses forming a resistance so to speak but little by little, it was too late. The web of lies and intrigues were already made and many fell from within their houses, as people joined her cause. Drow society always used magic openly but with the world changing around them. They needed to find a way to compete.

Lolth doctrine are mostly about survival of the fittest but more like in the magical sense. So while technology did develop, steam technology is still considered a bit too loud for their tastes and they must attack at night and mostly in silence, at least, until the victims had the time to scream for their lives. Still, they know that they must face new threats outside, so while raiding town. They started to accumulate the forbidden technology from the lands far away and studied them. Possibly consulting with demons and other creatures to help them improve or corrupt the original products.

On one hand tho, I could explain that they managed to catch up with technology fairly fast because when it come to ethics, let's be frank Drows have close to no morals and ethics. So now imagine people using magic and stolen technology every day trying to copy or make it better while doing horrible experiments in the process. Probably a good occasion to introduce the driders as well, as failed experiments.

Lolth tho, is not a peaceful goddess and enjoys seeing her people fighting, so putting the seeds of discord would still form people that would fight between each other. Most likely my character would be part of the many factions and of course would find a good enough reason to leave this death haven.

I think we're on the same page, and it may be hard to make any generalizations about the Drow further than that, simply because they are so bitterly splintered.

It's also worth noting that each island has its own "Underdark", so although not all of them are inhabited, they might make good rallying points for traveling Drow migrants who can make homes in the cavernous underbellies of the islands, giving them an advantage when it comes to espionage and leeching off other cultures' expertises. I think Drow can be as advanced in magic or technology as they wish, but the main thing to keep in mind is that they are limited in the communal uses of both fields. That is, they're not going to have academies, shipyards, manufacturing centers, or big laboratories. More likely to be solitary mad men or small groups working on their own, sacrificing some kind of ethical cost in exchange for dark magics or techs.

@ Davi - I'm really excited to see where that character is going!

Davi's character gives me the idea that training in the Engineering skill will also allow characters to append Component items to their armor that would normally require the "Warforged" race property, such as Armbows or Delver's Light.

Hope this works. Like most characters I just sort of thought this up as I typed it O.o but definitly a character I want to play.

Decided on a female seeker (elven) havent gotten a name, and if accepted, im happy to RP it anyway required, though i like the way its structured now.