Twilight 2013 Solo plus Discord

Old Jul 7 '19, 6:44am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Twilight 2013 Solo plus Discord

Twilight 2013: A Rude Awakening Solo - Forum
Miscellaneous

The end and the aftermath

It's been a hell of a last couple years. Things were looking rough even before the the first nuke was used in anger, two years ago, in retaliation for acts of terrorism. The cycle of retaliation and global collapse accelerated over the course of the past year. Russia got involved. NATO got involved. And a set of tit-for-tat EMP detonations ended the civilized world as we knew it. The nuclear exchanges that follow are merely the coda to an extended requiem for the world. For the US, specifically, a submarine-based strike on the capital eliminated 4/5ths of the federal government. It has taken nearly a full year for the aftershocks of that attack to fully work their way through the system.

As for you, you have spent the last few years in service to whatever could be called the government... or at least the military. Most recently, that means the US counter-offensive against Russian aggression in the Baltic. When your unit took on a hailstorm of high-velocity, jacketed messages addressed "для предъявления по месту требования", you figured that part of your life was over.

Your life swam back into focus in a field hospital in Krosniewice, Poland. The doctors say you're doing shockingly well. That's good news... perhaps the only good news to be found, these days. Because these days, the standard issue vehicle seems to be this handbasket.

What are you gonna do about it?

Game basics

This will be a solo game played on both Discord chat and Myth Weavers PBP.

The ruleset is Twilight 2013, a little known and even less beloved successor to Twilight: 2000.

We will play with the full, complex Stage 3 ruleset.

Post rate will be 1-2 posts per week, more if I can manage it.

Chats will be bi-weekly, weekly or semi-weekly, schedule TBD, but probably 8:00pm Central or later on weekdays.

The hook

You are an elite soldier in one of the few surviving medical units in the region - a tiny pocket of civilization, of sorts. That unit is also in the immediate vicinity of a collapsing front line.

Hopefully, your character will feel driven to preserve that small oasis of sanity, humanity, and compassion. In fact, despite the post apocalyptic setting, the game is intended to be hopeful. A desperate, determined struggle to cling to hope and the remains of civilization, but not a futile one.

You will have a team of people available to you to pursue your goals.

The game is a time-based sandbox, and the primary resource management task will be how much time it takes for things to happen, whether you initiate them, react to them, or delegate them.

Of course, a bullet is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Character building & house rules

Standard character generation rules apply, with the following restrictions and exceptions:

1) You may wish to follow the character creation flowchart for ease of use.

2) You may roll your attributes twice and select the best set.

3) You may select two other rolls during chargen to re-roll.

4) Aging: aging rolls are made on 2d10L. Be careful with an older character.

House rules:

1) Wait and Assess are combined as tactical actions, with the min duration of Wait and the effects of Assess.

2) GM tracks initiative; player specifies actions planned in order. Each action plan has max length equal to CUF, and must end with an "Assess" or "Repeat" action. Conditional actions require an Assess action.

3) Expect the fog of war to be a significant problem; expect not to have complete information. MoS on Assess checks will be used to represent situational awareness -- you will miss things in the heat of combat.

4) Initiative count can go negative; this carries over to the next exchange if there is no pause.

5) Threats: Lack of cover is a threat. Lack of en-route reinforcements is a threat. This means the threat rating is usually 1-2 higher than baseline for the game. CUF is useful, and civilians might actually panic under fire.

About you, the prospective player

You don't have to know the system backwards and forward, but you do have to own it and be willing to put effort into learning it.

You don't need a military background. In fact, it might be better if you don't have one: I don't, and service members may find some of my lack of knowledge jarring in their head.

Preference will be given to players with an established history on MW and relatively stable life situations, in hopes of increasing the odds of longevity for the game.

Preference will also be given to those who create the most interesting characters (not necessarily the most capable) and who show an interest and willingness to contribute to the story. I'm not looking for a passive audience.

Preference will be given to players who are willing and able to help me learn to use Discord. I have minimal experience with the platform.

I prefer posts that drive the action forward and PCs who are decisive. Improvise and add to the scenery when reasonable. One liners are rarely helpful; novels are acceptable but tend to bog things down if they are the only type of post. I care how your character feels, but especially when those feelings drive actions. Be biased toward action.

How to apply

Post here, outlining why you are excited about the game, how I can tell that you are likely to stick with it, and why you think you'd be a good choice to be selected as my player.

Once I give you the go-ahead, post a character thread in the applications folder. In the top post, outline (summarize!) the parts of the character that are most important. In the second post, give me as much character detail as you are interested in creating, hidden behind spoiler tags (feel free to edit it in as you build it, and don't feel required to develop completely at start). Third post, consolidated character stats. Fourth post, character creation die rolls and accounting.

I will select only 2-3 players to proceed to character creation. First round selections will be made by July 14th, on a rolling basis. Final selection will happen by July 21st, and does not require 100% complete characters.

About me, the GM

Commitment: High
Communication: High
Capability: High
Consistency: Low
Post rate: Low

I have a demanding day job from which I cannot post, and a 5-year-old who needs attention. Family plans often happen on the weekends, and sometimes clobber weekdays as well. Don't expect daily posting, although I'd love to get there. I'm trying to build back to the habit of posting on MW several times a week, but that's aspirational, not a promise.

I will probably need the occasional prod to get things moving. Such reminders are welcome; I occasionally see a post and mean to respond, but get side-tracked and then forget I didn't actually do so. Similarly, if I accidentally leave you with no idea what to do next, say so. I try to push forward to decision points, but I don't hit that mark 100% of the time.

While you will be the protagonist of this story, the world will not revolve around your PC, and NPCs will want a good reason to do what you say. Fortunately, there are several of those built into the setup. Your PC recovers quickly from bullets, but is not immune to them, nor to greedy opportunists from either side. Don't press your luck too far.

Those are the downsides to playing with me. I want to be up front about my limitations before you commit to anything.

On the other hand, I'm the sort of GM who communicates frequently if I am away or busy, and gives a heads-up OOC about planned scene changes, deadlines, etc. I'm not the sort of GM who up and disappears. I have several multi-year games in my history, including a 5 year Pendragon game on MW. Feel free to review my track record; I will be reviewing yours.

I've been running games for literally 30 years. If you've heard of a non-obnoxious game, I've likely run or played it. Yes, that includes the original Twilight: 2000 (v1 and v2), both in person and via PBP.

Final thoughts

This is intended to be the first of several games I will run in this format. I'm happy to answer questions. Best wishes for your application, and thanks for taking the time.

Game Description:

You wake in a military hospital, to discover that nearby front lines have collapsed and senior leadership has fled. You find you can heal extremely quickly... but in days, not seconds. A timeline based sandbox.

I'm definitely interested in this. I'm already cracking on a potential character for it.

Love your games, Psyke. Just don't have time for a Discord game. Good Luck

Oh and I should also be a good biscuit and to show I've followed instructions: I am always up for a game in the Twilight 2000 / Mercs 2000 / Twilight 2013 systems. They are so incredibly rare to find given how niche they are and if I can get the rare opportunity to act as a player in one as opposed to as a GM, I'll take it.

Not to mention that your thread clearly has the sort of interesting hook that gives it a bit of an extra "something" beyond the typical fair. The fact that I could already start piecing together a character and a voice and an image reference as I was reading through it told me I was sold from minute 1.

Add in that I'm more than happy to help you get more familiar and hands-on with Discord and have plenty of experience there (I've been an admin in multiple channels previously).

I also have a stable home life and situation to ensure I'll be able to be around and posting and chatting plenty as we go.

Are the chat sessions on discord mandatory or optional if the player would like that?

Very cool idea, would love to play, but cant commit to the discord requirement. If you ever run a MW board only version let me know, I'm in!

Discord will be game play. I regret that it’s a deal breaker for several good players, but I’m experimenting with it as a boost to the momentum problem that seems to kill a lot of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdingo View Post
Oh and I should also be a good biscuit and to show I've followed instructions: I am always up for a game in the Twilight 2000 / Mercs 2000 / Twilight 2013 systems. They are so incredibly rare to find given how niche they are and if I can get the rare opportunity to act as a player in one as opposed to as a GM, I'll take it.

Not to mention that your thread clearly has the sort of interesting hook that gives it a bit of an extra "something" beyond the typical fair. The fact that I could already start piecing together a character and a voice and an image reference as I was reading through it told me I was sold from minute 1.

Add in that I'm more than happy to help you get more familiar and hands-on with Discord and have plenty of experience there (I've been an admin in multiple channels previously).

I also have a stable home life and situation to ensure I'll be able to be around and posting and chatting plenty as we go.
@Slamdingo, you are selected. Please feel free to proceed with character creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyske View Post
@Slamdingo, you are selected. Please feel free to proceed with character creation.
Is it safe to assume the Application folder mentioned in the instructions and the Administration folder where the character example are, are one in the same?