A Holy Grail War for Video Gamers!

Old Jul 23 '17, 12:33pm
Shockingly Fluffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Holy Grail War for Video Gamers!

Fate Extra: Lunatic's Game - Forum
Fate/Fudge

The Premise

This game will take place in (a heavily modified version of) the Fate/Extra universe; a very fun PSP game that is worth a play if you ever get a chance. It is a spin-off of Fate/Stay Night and has all the usual hallmarks of something set in the Nasuverse. I will be attempting to simplify things enough so that even those not familiar with the intricacies of the setting can still get around without issues.

In this version of the Holy Grail War, the participants, or Masters, still summon heroic spirits, or Servants, into one of seven classes: Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, and Berserker. However, in line with Extra, rather than a battle royale these pairs will be fighting in an organized tournament of one-on-one rounds. You have a week of researching, sounding out, and competing with your opponent, culminating in a duel where two teams enter, but only one leaves. The last person standing receives the Holy Grail: a single wish to be fulfilled regardless of its contents.

However, in a further twist, unlike a normal Holy Grail War where famous people throughout Earth's history are summoned as the Servants, this time we'll be drawing from the worlds of video games.

Further setting and miscellaneous information can be found here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdi...40973&tg=75386

The Game

Meet the GM

My name is Kinsei and I've been around the block a time or two. I won't lie and say that I'm the best GM ever, but I like what I like and I'm hoping that this schedule, with drawn out planning perforated by bursts of activity, will be more up my alley.

I work full time, but have access to most things while I'm there with a decent amount of time to kill between actual job-related tasks. I'm on the west coast and work nights, so I'm usually available in some capacity between the hours (local time) of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., give or take.

I've played Fate/Extra several times and am pretty versed in the Fate universe, but I've never really delved into the larger extended universe, so my ideas are somewhat... simplified, which I'm also hoping will appeal to those not familiar with the setting. I'm not great at explaining things, though, so I'm inclined to just retcon stuff to make more sense to a layman than to fit in with the established canon.

That said, I am a total weeb, as anyone that frequents the associated channel on Discord can probably tell you. Expect the majority of your opponents to be from JRPGs and anime fighters and for me to be somewhat biased toward characters I'm familiar with when looking over apps.

What I'm Looking for in Players
  • Players must be willing to read the provided guidelines and other materials and abide by them
  • Players must be willing and able to converse with me and the other player about anything going on in the game, including problems or issues they have
  • The ability to commit to a session, several hours long, one night every other week

The System

We will be using Chee's modified version of Dresden Files Accelerated Edition, which is an off-shoot of the Fate system and specifically Fate Accelerated Edition. The similarity in names is purely coincidental.

The basics of the Fate system can be found on the online SRD, located here: https://fate-srd.com/

You can get a glimpse of what Chee's version of the game entails here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=368569

But you needn't worry too much about crunch until we get through the first couple phases of application, as the big ones, your Master and Servant's Mantles, are a collaborative process between me, the GM, and you, the player. We will work on these almost exclusively after a player has been accepted.

The Format

This will be the first hybrid game that I am running. Character sheets will be hosted here on Myth-Weavers, but actual sessions will be held on a chat program. Unless the returning player's technical difficulties with Discord are remedied before the game begins, sessions will be held on Google Hangouts.

I will be holding one session a week for one player at a time; put simply, each player will have a session every other week. The other player is welcome to join the opposite player's session with the express understanding that the session will not be focusing on their character.

Characters

What I'm Looking for in Masters
  • Interesting, dynamic, active people
  • Can't be evil
  • Can't be full-blown psychopaths or sociopaths
  • Be three dimensional; no Mary Sues or cardboard cutouts
  • None of the original characters from the source materials or close knockoffs
What I'm Looking for in Servants
  • Must be from a video game
  • If featured in other media, must be primarily a video game character. Haseo from .hack? Cool. Batman? Nope, try again.
  • Can't be evil; anti-heroes or rivals are fine, but no villains. Feel free to ask if you're unsure.
  • Must not be based on an actual real life figure. No Musashi from Brave Fencer Musashi, no Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors, etc.
  • Must be humanoid. Garrus Vakarian? Cool. Crash Bandicoot? Cool. Spyro the Dragon? Nope.

How to Apply

Step 1: Follow the link below and look over the Participant Application Form:
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=407596

Step 2: To start your application, copy the coding for the form and post it in the thread below:
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=407597

Step 3: Post here in the ad to let me know that your pitch is ready for review. I may have some additional questions or clarifications for you that I will post here. After reviewing them and making any necessary changes, let me know here to take another look. If everything looks good to me, we'll move on to Step 4.

Step 4: The final step of the application process is a writing prompt, found in the thread below:
https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=408014

Conclusion
  • I am looking for one player to join a returning player for this campaign.
  • All questions, commentary, OOC, and anything other than the forms theselves will take place here in the ad. Any posts made in the OOC topic of the forum itself prior to the game beginning will be referred back here.
  • I will make selections sometime during my work shift on August 17th, giving everyone over three weeks to finish their apps. This will allow me to work out the finer points of session scheduling on a weekend I'm off.
  • I reserve the right to close the ad early due to lack of interest or other extenuating circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with~

Game Description:

The Holy Grail.
In bygone ages, men sung of it, sought it, competed for it.
The power of a wish is a wondrous thing.

The moon.
In bygone ages, men sung of it, sought it, competed for it.
The power of a dream is a wondrous thing.

In all ages, men wish.
And in all ages, men dream.
But man does ever tread on the backs of others' to reach them.

In all ages, men play games.
And in all ages, men make war.
A dichotomy; or perhaps they are one and the same?

A game to grant a wish.
A war to achieve a dream.
As they have done in ages past, let us once more.

Bring your wishes, bring your dreams.
Play our game, fight our war.
Within the bosom of the softly glowing moon, the Holy Grail awaits.

Last edited by Kinsei; Jul 27 '17 at 3:30am..
Hey guys, returning player here! A quick note that Kinsei didn't mention above: be wary of reading other people's apps. You are required to have the Servant's history, and depending on the character and game, it could be full of spoilers. So proceed with caution if that's something you care about.

Players will be creating both a Master and a Servant and playing them both in tandem.

Kinsei can correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Members Requested" may be incorrect. I think it defaults to 1... sometimes even if you change it (I've had it do that to me before).

Yes, while I would like to have up to four players for this game, because of how sessions are going to be scheduled, I'm keeping it to two for now. Not sure how people would feel about only having one session dedicated to them a month. Seems like a bit of a stretch. =P

As such, with CG returning, I'm only looking to recruit one additional player at this time.

So I have a question while I ponder interest. The name of the game is characters from video games, but nobody based on real people. So I should be able to play Zhou Cang, the fictional Shu warrior under Guan Yu, who recently debuted in Musou Stars and will appear properly in Dynasty Warriors 9. Is that right?

Hm... It's a bit of a grey area, so that's a good question. However, I'm leaning "no" if only because the world he's coming from, while a fantastical embellishment, is still based off of real-world history and focuses on many real-world people. In a case like that I'd honestly be more inclined to fudge on someone like the titular Brave Fencer Musashi who, despite being based on a real world figure, was featured in two games where the events did not occur on Earth.

...But that does remind me of one more rule on Servants that I forgot to add, which I will do momentarily.

That's a fair answer. I'll have a once-over of the system and see what ideas I can generate. Maybe a Disgaea character... Hm.

Edit: I've noticed your avatar. I see that you are also a man of culture.