Tales from the Indigo Jug

Old Aug 4 '17, 5:12am
Great Wyrm

Tales from the Indigo Jug

The Indigo Jug - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e
Estimated Members Requested: 20

The Indigo Jug is a tavern in the Known World city of Specularum. Within this establishment, players will create and run characters in a series of quests. This is a story heavy world and applicants must do a little reading to fully realize their creations. I will accept three to four tables of new and veteran players willing to play the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. This Sandbox game will be seeded with a large amount of published modules, however, I shake things up enough that you may not recognize these modules if you have played them before. The only way you know if you have been there is by joining the adventures and creating your own tall tales from The Indigo Jug.

Other things you need to know are as follows:
  • Players will need access to the free 5th Edition Basic Rules LINK or own the Players Handbook. Unearthed Arcana and other supplements are locked at the moment, pending release of Xanathar's Guide to Everything. When that comes out in November I will allow supplemental material on a case by case basis.

• Players are to read up on the Lore regarding a small slice of Mystara. LINK

• There are a few house rules that you will need to peruse. LINK

• Players will use the default methods to determine ability scores: Roll 4d6 drop lowest OR Use 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. I also allow the 27 point buy method as well as a home-brewed method for rolling. LINK. Whatever way you roll, roll in the link provided.

• We will start out at 1st level and max HP unless you qualify for Messtupus Corpus Brokenus. After first level you may roll for Hit Points or choose average. Starting gold and equipment by Class and Background.

• Players can make several characters but must complete each one before they start another one. Characters will be stored in the characters sub-forum and players can use their characters during the course of the game. The template for application is found here. LINK. Copy and paste the template in the game forum and use the 'Character' prefix. When the character is ready, it will be moved to the Player Character sub-forum.

• Once characters are completed, I will open up an IC thread in the game forum. When that is open, completed characters may enter the Jug and collaborate with NPCs and other players. As characters leave the Jug on adventures the players will move on to the other Jug sub-forums to play out quests and such.

• I am looking for players that post once a day, or more. I will also take players that post every other day. I will move the game along after three days. Guidance for posting is also found in the Application thread.

The forum OOC thread will open once there are enough players to begin adventuring. Until then, ask all questions in this Game Ad thread. The application process might seem lengthy, however, I am looking for players that want to have an immersive experience and are willing to put some effort into the epic.

I am a story junky and I love to get into a good tale. I don't pull dice rolls and I run my monsters using tactics. I am no stranger to optimizing but I like to put narrative first. The game relies a lot on Theater of the Mind, however, I can and will make maps on occasion. I like to make up monsters.

There is a Discord server called The Indigo Jug. Although there is no requirement to join, it will be open for commentary and perhaps, just maybe, a quest might break out there.

Game Description:

Specularum, 1000 AC
15th day of Thaumont

Specularum unbound. A city ripe for the taking. Well, at least ripe for the adventurous. This is the capital city in a conquered land. A land conquered yet still untamed. Be it fame or fortune, this place offers endless possibilities. So come forth, ye valiant and courageous . Bring stout heart and mighty steel. The land of Karameikos calls.

The setting is important but there is not going to be a quiz. I would start with backgrounds and races. Those will give you a good starting point.

One other note - Supplemental publications like SCAG, Volos, ToEE Companions are not in the game. With the exception of a few items.

Sounds interesting will have to check out the links you have posted about the lore etc to decide which of the characters I already have IRL that will fit or maybe will create a new one

Well consider me interested in dusting off the old rulebook and getting in on this fun.

Holy cow, what a crazy amount of worldbuilding. It's going to take me a little while to digest it all, but I love the little bits of minutia like the regional names for different coins. It makes sense that different regions would have different but equatable currencies, not just trade in bog-standard silver and gold pieces. I'm super interested, once I figure out the character I want to try. Some of the ones I've wanted to use rely on "locked" options (a Tiefling Paladin with sympathy to criminals since he was once one, a Silver Dragonborn Sorcerer with a Gold Bloodline calling himself Electrum, High Elf Bladesinger with a spellbook accidentally stolen from an Archfey) but I'll mull over the core rules and figure out something. Maybe a Beastmaster Ranger with your added rules - I've wondered about making a character like Newt Scamander who befriends all sorts of magical animals. Perhaps when/if UA is unlocked I could upgrade to the Revised Ranger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
Holy cow, what a crazy amount of worldbuilding. It's going to take me a little while to digest it all, but I love the little bits of minutia like the regional names for different coins. It makes sense that different regions would have different but equatable currencies, not just trade in bog-standard silver and gold pieces. I'm super interested, once I figure out the character I want to try. Some of the ones I've wanted to use rely on "locked" options (a Tiefling Paladin with sympathy to criminals since he was once one, a Silver Dragonborn Sorcerer with a Gold Bloodline calling himself Electrum, High Elf Bladesinger with a spellbook accidentally stolen from an Archfey) but I'll mull over the core rules and figure out something. Maybe a Beastmaster Ranger with your added rules - I've wondered about making a character like Newt Scamander who befriends all sorts of magical animals. Perhaps when/if UA is unlocked I could upgrade to the Revised Ranger?
I am going to take some time and look over the new book that comes out in November. I am guessing there will be stuff in there that will be allowable content. I will relook at the UA Ranger then.

The coin is for added flavor. Adventurers might be interested in faraway lands simply by looking at what gets stamped on a coin.

@alles, If you want to roll for a Trinket you can do so in the dice thread. Or pick one.

Oh yes! I am an old gamer. I cut my teeth on Mystara and the Known World is still my favorite setting. I so want in. At first thought, a druid of some kind. I gotta read to figure out how that would fit in the setting.

Are there naming conventions for dwarves? i tend to use the Old 3.5 dwarf book as a guide for meaningful, fitting names.