This week in video games... - Page 15 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
Morrowind was a once in a series sort of game. Lightning never strikes twice.
On the contrary, I'd say that Daggerfall and Morrowind were both gifts from Zeus, delivered straight to my harddrive for the sole purpose of making me grow as a man between the ages of 12 and forever. Thank you Zeus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
It always boggles my mind how reasonable people can be so unreasonably accepting of Oblivion as if it's just some flawed gem with a core of goodness buried under bugs. I just don't get it.
I for one don't think it's 'just some flawed gem with a core of goodness buried under the bugs'.
I think it's a good game that has some minor bugs that I can't remember bothering me much while I was playing it.

What boggles my mind is your persistence that if you happened to not like the game it is, therefore, intrinsically awful, like you're some supernatural entity whose thoughts are instantly transformed into objective fact.

Ok, can we not get into a slap-fight about whether a game is good or not? People have different tastes, and while it's fine to discuss the pros and cons of a game and what you may or may not like about it, taking a jab at peoples' opinions is just going to make the mods come in and kill the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Because, despite it's flaws, Oblivions still shares the core gameplay mechanics and style of all the other TES games, and those are always fun, despite the bugs, retconning, and other issues with Oblivion. Was it flawed? Absolutely. Is it a steaming crap of a game no-one should ever play? No.
Look, if you minus the hype... Say, you met someone who really liked the previous games in the series, but hadn't played Oblivion. How would you convince them to buy Oblivion without telling them it was the sequel to a game they liked and thus introducing a bunch of expectations which would turn out to be untrue? And that's not even really accurate, because at least a part of what's wrong with Oblivion is that it's is supposed to be a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
I for one don't think it's 'just some flawed gem with a core of goodness buried under the bugs'.
I think it's a good game that has some minor bugs that I can't remember bothering me much while I was playing it.

What boggles my mind is your persistence that if you happened to not like the game it is, therefore, intrinsically awful, like you're some supernatural entity whose thoughts are instantly transformed into objective fact.
What I mean is, I just give a bunch of factual information about how they specifically made the game less complex, less creative, and gave you less options... but people seem to either not be bothered by it, or are in denial and insist that it's just my opinion. I mean, UESP actually has a table showing the differences between the three games and the majority of things on there are a clear decline of options, features, originality, and usability, with a slight increase in some areas.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences...on,_and_Skyrim

There are pure simple numbers showing that each game has less complexity, fewer features and fewer options than the last, but people seem to act like each game has more than the previous ones. That's not my opinion. That's fact. But people keep acting like each game in the series is better than the last, and that's what I can't understand. This thing doesn't even cover the interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Ok, can we not get into a slap-fight about whether a game is good or not? People have different tastes, and while it's fine to discuss the pros and cons of a game and what you may or may not like about it, taking a jab at peoples' opinions is just going to make the mods come in and kill the thread.

I'm not insulting anyone's opinion. Just questioning it.

I blame mods for my differing opinion, I didn't even leave the prison in oblivion before dumping 50+ mods on it, Skyrim I actually got to helgen before dropping a dozen mods on it, I was a lot more conservative on mod quantity on Skyrim than with Ob, at least at start, so that at least says a few good things about the vanilla game in comparison.
I had a lot less success and a lot more headaches getting multiple mods to play nice with each other in Morrowind, so that's a plus for the later games, Skyrim is a lot more stable for me and SkyUI is letting me have multiple configurable mods without carrying 30+ immersion-breaking 'configuration hats' in my inventory, so that's two big pluses for Skyrim.
Thus the changes that bug me the most are those that I can't mod away, complexity? options? I can add those, and while it sucks that they weren't there in the vanilla game, if I barely experienced it before modding it, I don't remember it bothering me.
I got significantly more entertainment out of Morrowind's lore than Skyrim or Oblivion, but that may be because I find the location far more interesting.

Oblivion's location was far more interesting before they intentionally retconned it in Oblivion to increase mass appeal and Xbox compatibility. The Imperial Province was originally an area of rain forests and wetlands with the imperial city being built atop a series of bridges. And the Imperials were based on ancient Rome rather than generic pseudo western Europe. High Rock is pseudo western Europe.

Heck even after the retcon they still had interesting ideas. This is what Leyawiin looked like before they Xboxified it. http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/...n/leyawiin.jpg

Mods seem to be the biggest issue. It's like, the dumbing down of the games is for the benefit of the console gamers, but at the expense of the PC games that made the series what it was when Oblivion was released. Bethesda just all but abandoned their PC fans, but the fact that they left modding in the PC game just seems to somehow make everything alright. Just because you can fix it doesn't mean it's not broke. And you can't even fix a lot of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
This.

If you want to compare - in respectful posts and without breaking Site Rules - Game A to Game B and, feel free to create a dedicated thread for it.

Sorry, I should probably just stop posting in this thread for a while. I would like to say something about the whole debate thing though.

The problem is, I don't want to argue enough to create a new thread dedicated to debating the merits of previous elder scrolls games versus more recent ones, but people post opinions about something so I post mine about it, and they differ, so an argument naturally starts. Basically the only way to avoid debate on an internet forum is to not talk to people who have a differing opinion from yours.

Also, the site rules are not easy to find. You have to actively search for them in a sub menu. They really need a sticky at the top of the various forums.

Nobody's telling you not to have a discussion, but this maybe isn't the thread for that discussion. There's nothing to keep you from taking it to PMs, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
The problem is, I don't want to argue enough to create a new thread dedicated to debating the merits of previous elder scrolls games versus more recent ones, but people post opinions about something so I post mine about it, and they differ, so an argument naturally starts. Basically the only way to avoid debate on an internet forum is to not talk to people who have a differing opinion from yours.
Thread space is cheap and we prefer threads to stay on their topics; threads going somewhere else become less 'useful', more 'noisy'; someone comes to a thread because of its title and OP - and don't want to read through pages of irrelevant / tangential posts.

And if a specialized thread doesn't get interest, it will vanish - so all around profit

Quote:
Also, the site rules are not easy to find. You have to actively search for them in a sub menu. They really need a sticky at the top of the various forums.
Top Menu: Help -> Site Rules.
Top Menu: Wiki ---> Site Rules.

Personal Opinion: Stickies are suboptimal, since they make thread space more expensive, i.e. take up a lot of screen space.

[/derail]