This week in video games... - Page 7 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

A couple days ago, I shelled out a buck for this week's Humble Weekly Sale, because they have Divinity 2, Game of Thrones, and Blood Bowl on the list. Even though it has its flaws, I've been quite enjoying the hours I've been putting into Divinity 2 (although now I wish I'd played the first one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
A couple days ago, I shelled out a buck for this week's Humble Weekly Sale, because they have Divinity 2, Game of Thrones, and Blood Bowl on the list. Even though it has its flaws, I've been quite enjoying the hours I've been putting into Divinity 2 (although now I wish I'd played the first one).
I have a copy of bloodbowl for Xbox 360. Love it.... even if it is a little clunky sometimes

I saw that you were playing it Greyfeld, heh. Figured you picked up the humble weekly sale. I did the same for myself and my son. We have Ego Draconis on the 360 and both of us liked it. I figured playing it on my souped up PC with high end graphics would be an enjoyable experience. I was playing Terraria. They did a major update a week or so ago.

Yeah I noticed somebody else playing it, but couldn't remember who. Thought, "Welp, I wasn't the only one!"

Although, I'll probably end up putting it on the back burner the moment Pokemon X comes in the mail :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Yeah I noticed somebody else playing it, but couldn't remember who. Thought, "Welp, I wasn't the only one!"

Although, I'll probably end up putting it on the back burner the moment Pokemon X comes in the mail :P
Make sure you let us know how that is! =D

So, the 3D in the game looks great, though it's only used during battle. Unfortunately, I had to turn it off because it was making my eyes hurt, like every implementation of 3D does. The graphics and animations look fantastic, a lot closer to something from Pokemon Stadium than the previous static sprites and battle animations.

There's a healthy mix of new pokemon and old. Before the first gym, you'll likely fill up your roster with half and half. A couple of the NPCs mentioned pikachu while in the forest area, so I'm assuming that you can catch one there, but I didn't really feel like farming for one. After your first gym badge, once you reach the next city you'll get your "second starter," from the lineup of first gen pokemon. There's also a Torchic online mystery gift that you can collect if you have the game in the first month of release or so. I ended up with Froakie (water starter), Torchic, and Bulbasaur to cover my major elemental bases.

There's a new minigame thing that you can do to EV train your pokemon, rather than grinding out battles. It's not particularly engaging for more than a few minutes, IMO, but if you're big about properly EV training your pokemon, I suppose it's a nice change of pace from having to hunt down the right patches of tall grass to trample.

There's also a thing where you can create a little "trainer PR video" which is a 10 second in-game video you can customize that features your trainer or one of your pokemon, and there's also a nintendogs-esque minigame that you can use to interact with your pokemon and build their happiness. You can also customize your trainer's appearance through clothing you can buy and stuff like that.

So, at the end of the day, it's a prettier pokemon games with a lot of little bells and whistles that are mostly shallow attempts at getting you to feel like you can individualize your trainer and interact personally with your pokemon. It's all very sparkly and new, and there's a lot of stuff to sink your time into... but none of it really changes the core of how the game plays, or what the series is about. The phrase, "Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle," comes to mind.

Hm... after reading your review, I'm curious to how mine would sound when I type it up. My first instinct after reading yours was, "Wow, that was really negative," but the more I make my own review in my head, the worse it sounds, despite how much I'm enjoying (read: losing sleep over) playing this game. So let's see...

I feel the sum total of this game is getting more people into the competitive side of Pokemon. The Experience Share makes the PVE game a joke, while other features are obviously designed to teach you how to be competitive: Super Training, the amount of Pokemon, the ease of access to online modes of communication... Honestly, if the game had shipped with just the new 3D models, I would've counted it as a success. As it is, despite all my *glances* numerous gripes with the game, I can't find myself loving it any less for it. The only thing keeping me from playing it right this moment is being at work.

...Oh yes, and if anyone on this site is interested in trading Friend Codes, do hit me up.

Just finished playing "The Wolf Among Us", beautiful graphics and interesting setting (to those who haven't read the comics).

Gameplay wise it works pretty much like the Walking Dead (minus inventory "Puzzles"), the duration of the episode felt rather short (less than 2 hours).

All and all it felt brief but enjoyable, I do hope they release an episode per month to keep the players interested.

I am also playing "Beyond: Two Souls", I think I am close to the end, once I finish it I will comment a little about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsei View Post
Hm... after reading your review, I'm curious to how mine would sound when I type it up. My first instinct after reading yours was, "Wow, that was really negative," but the more I make my own review in my head, the worse it sounds, despite how much I'm enjoying (read: losing sleep over) playing this game. So let's see...

I feel the sum total of this game is getting more people into the competitive side of Pokemon. The Experience Share makes the PVE game a joke, while other features are obviously designed to teach you how to be competitive: Super Training, the amount of Pokemon, the ease of access to online modes of communication... Honestly, if the game had shipped with just the new 3D models, I would've counted it as a success. As it is, despite all my *glances* numerous gripes with the game, I can't find myself loving it any less for it. The only thing keeping me from playing it right this moment is being at work.

...Oh yes, and if anyone on this site is interested in trading Friend Codes, do hit me up.
Yeah, I didn't touch on the communication features because I generally don't use them. I have no desire to get my butt whupped by random people on the internet, and if I have a group of pokemon I like for my main team, I see no reason to go fishing for more in the trade market.

I know that my review came across a bit negative, but having just picked up my game yesterday, I just remembered everything that disappointed me about the Pokemon franchise to begin with. And all of it sits front and center in this game, as much as it has in every other iteration of the franchise - the mediocre story, the platitudinous dialogue, the characters that are so 2-dimensional that you'd expect them to be written by a 6-year-old.

I've always said that I wish Gamefreak would step up and make an open-world action pokemon game (a la Elder Scrolls), but I could give that idea a total pass if they would just hire a god damned writer for once.

@Zell - I thought the game looked interesting, but unlike The Walking Dead, it's not a franchise that I'm really all that familiar with, or hyped to dive into. It's good to hear that the game is up to Telltale's usual standard of quality, so I'll be sure to pick up the whole series once they've put out all five episodes and they go on sale on Steam or something.

Okay, so I just finished "Beyond: Two Souls" and it was alright, not as life changing as Heavy Rain through.

The game basically, works the same way as Heavy Rain, same engine, controls, etc.

The main two issues I had with the game were 1 the story, which I quite honestly didn't care much about and seemed taken out of a blockbuster movie (with training montages, predictable moments and characters) and 2 the use of star power, by using a famous actor's appearance and voice for the main character, instead of empowering the story it detracts realism from it and ends up backfiring. So when you find yourself being Ellen Page fighting "terrorist", it completely breaks the immersion making the situation seem like a bad joke.

Also when the game ended, I just didn't care enough about the story to replay it and try different choices.

In spite of all this I still love Quantic Dreams and I hope their future games will be better.