Netflix's Marvel Content - Page 49 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Netflix's Marvel Content

Late to the party on Iron Fist, but I've wanted to put here what I told a friend who has watched it too.

Mostly I lay the blame for IF at the feet of the folks behind the camera. Finn could have used more time to prepare for the martial arts side of his role, that is true. However, the choreographer was a mess. They understood weapons play, Japanese styles a little, but were trying too hard to make the "kung fu" of IF flowing and big. They didn't know how to write a character who was well enough trained to make dealing with most fighters laughably easy. And, without the mask, it's harder to slip in a stunt double would can do fight scenes. If you have a guy with half of his face covered, not so hard.

Now the writers and the director, who gave so much time to the Meachum story line, forgot who was supposed to be the star of the show. They knew how to handle the Meachums, the infighting, the backstabbing, the horrible people double dealing, that they understood. A the guy who's got no dishonest bones in his body, who doesn't think the world is an evil place and actually wants to go out and be a good guy and hero, they seemed to have no clue. When you look at what Scott Buck worked on in the past, like Dexter, it's not a real surprise.

Get someone to call the choreography team from Into the Badlands and get some recommendations if you can't hire them away. Go find some writers who've done something with up lifting heroes and story lines. Down play the freaking Meachums and allow that Danny Rand can grow and develop over time. It is not that tough if you aren't afraid to find people who appreciate the genre and understand the material.

And Dolphin if you didn't gather that DD was retiring from the streets at the end, I think you missed the last few episodes of the second season. The picking up point in the Defenders made plenty of sense in the way I saw DD end.

Your comment about focusing on the Meachums reminded me of the Blade TV series. Blade only appears in about 4 episodes, and usually only for a few minutes. The focus of the series was on the infected woman he was using to gather information on the vamp families & politics.

Oh, I think it was my thing about not expecting DD to quit working the streets. Just didn't register with me, but then, I wasn't looking. Maybe if I watch it a 3rd time I'll see it. Given his speech to Foggy about finally getting to sleep after beating up the abusive father, it just seemed out of character.

Just looking at the Marvel stuff (any Marvel stuff, not just the Cinematic Universe) and only where it's first run, they have Netflix, Hulu, ABC, FX, and Disney XD (not sure if anything current is on CBS or MTV). Cutting back to just the MCU, we still have Netflix, Hulu and ABC. And that assumes I'm not missing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
Your comment about focusing on the Meachums reminded me of the Blade TV series. Blade only appears in about 4 episodes, and usually only for a few minutes. The focus of the series was on the infected woman he was using to gather information on the vamp families & politics.

Oh, I think it was my thing about not expecting DD to quit working the streets. Just didn't register with me, but then, I wasn't looking. Maybe if I watch it a 3rd time I'll see it. Given his speech to Foggy about finally getting to sleep after beating up the abusive father, it just seemed out of character.
The whole daredevil show is about how he loses everything, his girlfriend, his mistress, his entire family, his psuedo-father stick, foggy, his business, and most of his cases. But it's all to fight evil, and that's what he wants his life to be dedicated to.

Then he's like "nah, that fighting evil thing isn't worth it anymore after I've lost all my friends and my two girlfriends, I guess I'ma just retire". Just seems out of character. And luke cage who was in the most in-character imo, also feels out of character a few times.

I guess the iron fist wasn't that out of character, but he was the least likable, despite being the focus of the show, and also was doing a lot weirder things than he normally does. They even make a point about he is almost never personally involved in business affairs, and then make him go do that. Just weird.

Having actually read the original comics for Power Man and Iron Fist, he, i.e. Iron Fist / Danny Rand is the least accurate portrayal / representation of the four of them. Regardless of the quality of fight choreography and the rest of it, it is the least true to its source material in every way possible. *shrug*

Again, hope you guys don't mind me co-opting this thread for Marvel content on online streaming services in general. Tonight at NYCC there was a panel for the upcoming Runaways series on Hulu, which included a released teaser trailer and an apparently well-received screening of the first episode. I like the tone of the trailer, and its looking quite faithful to the first run of the series, so... hopes tentatively rising.

The Inhumans... was painful to watch. Not Netflix but still Marvel. Such possibility... executed horribly.

Everyone/anyone else psyched for Punisher?
I figure it will either be really good, or utterly terrible and disappointing.

I know I'll watch it, but I'm not super amped for it. I figure it will be really violent, like "Don't even try to watch this while the kids are still awake" kind of violent.