Freeform and rules-light gaming - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Freeform and rules-light gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nate View Post
Have you found anything yet? I'm currently advertising for a homemade rules lite game where players can gain narrative control. So it's not full freeform, but includes a lot of player input.
Neat. Definitely going to check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurtan View Post
Neat. Definitely going to check this out.
Please do and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

how do you play in a freeform game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excior View Post
how do you play in a freeform game?
Freeform games tend to not worry a ton about game mechanics and rules. They are more about story telling. Imagine playing DND but where you almost never actually role. It's more about deciding how you would respond and writing about it.

I tried running a very rules light freeform/COYA Gundam game. Just a few stats with a simple roll under D10 system. Sadly it didn't get much interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMiko View Post
Freeform games tend to not worry a ton about game mechanics and rules. They are more about story telling. Imagine playing DND but where you almost never actually role. It's more about deciding how you would respond and writing about it.
so how would you handle combat? who decides the outcome? am I as a player allowed to say I chop off the orcs head?

Quote:
so how would you handle combat? who decides the outcome? am I as a player allowed to say I chop off the orcs head?
It depends on the system and the DM. In totally freeform (no rules) you might. I prefer very light rules systems. Instead of having saying 1d20+5+7+1+1 for 1d8+7+3 damage. You might have roll 1d6+2, beat a 4

Blades in the dark has you roll a number of d6ís (1-4) and if any of them roll a 4, 5, 6 you succeed. There is more to it than that, and getting more than 2 dice is quite hard.

Quote:
If you're going totally freeform, you'd write the intent of your character in your post...

"Sir Chucky noted the orc's rudimentary sword skills and bided his time. After a wild swing, the orc left himself open, and Sir Chucky slashed at the orc's neck, aiming for decapitation..."

The GM then decides what happens. Unlike stereotypical D&D-type games, where the GM can often be an adversary to the players, here you're all cooperating in telling the story. It does involve a certain amount of trust in your GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momos View Post
The GM then decides what happens. Unlike stereotypical D&D-type games, where the GM can often be an adversary to the players, here you're all cooperating in telling the story. It does involve a certain amount of trust in your GM.
I played in a free form game once where the DM was so adept at describing the action that it completely put me in suspense of what was happening next. The lack of dice or any other form of adjudication can be unnerving to players new to the style but it does free you completely to be creative. There is potential for abuse and frustration but if you have good chemistry with your player it works quite well. I'd love a freeform game if I could find a good DM/player fit. As I get older I find I want to learn new rulesets less and less.

I would count my 0e D&D games as incredibly rules light. From time to time I try to run Mini-Six but have found it difficult to recruit for. I prefer to have some random generation of outcomes but a well thought out post should weigh heavily on the possible outcomes as well. If the players spend a good amount of time setting up an ambush ask lots of questions to get the lay of the land and take a good amount of precautions it should succeed without worry about opposing checks.