Pathfinder Tristalt GM-Coop game - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Pathfinder Tristalt GM-Coop game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Gift View Post
This looks interesting.

What are you looking for the other GMs to do? Design encounters or write plot?

Also, what liberties are you planning to give the other GMs to balance out the NPC side of things?
GMs would run games or tag team with other GMs to run a game based on parameters they agree upon. GMs would be allowed to create characters as well to play in games. Private content within games that GMs play in, would of course have to be done via private messages, but I think that is something that can be done.

GMs who run games will have full reign of their game(s) just as any GM would. Though if GMs are playing fast a loose with the rules, especially those established for this game as a whole, there will be other GMs around for checks and balances and what not. Other than that, it is all in the GM's personal ball park.

GMs will also have a say in constructing/amending the rules, including adding house rules/homebrew/3pp, based on the approval of the other GMs. I as the Head GM would of course, reserve the right to approve or veto anything I feel too strongly about...which isn't much to be honest, as Ashendragon has already likely learned from our current discussions i am fairly amicable when it comes to reasonable arguments against something I am not familiar with or dislike. For instance, I have agreed to allow considerations for the Path of War by Dreamscarred Press, something I started this thread out being completely against...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkhoffer View Post
In gestalt games and high lvl games both, players in at least such D&D games always tend to template it up. I canít imagine it would be any less the case in a tristalt game.

Have you given any thought to that, as Pathfinder with no level adjustment doesnít seem to lend templates as easily to PCs?
Level adjustments will not be a thing...myself and Ashendragon are already putting some ideas into motion and discussing the foundations of the rule set. Still looking for other GMs to put their two cents in of course. There is a section of the PFSRD that lists a couple of monster classes, and I believe even oslecamo did some Pathfinder specific classes (the Pleroma Aeon comes to mind specifically). that we may consider...but Pathfinder has a Race Building system that allots Racial Points to races including monstrous ones...there will be no template grabbing or LA stacking as it stands now. All racial elements of character creation will be handled by Racial Points, having nothing to do directly with character levels. I like the idea of this being a more pure Tristalt class related game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenDragon View Post
Enkhoffer we've been talking about that now and we think we have a system in place for it.
Ninja'd me

I am not against considering limitations as far as only allowing progression as a single full caster...that's not saying you couldn't be a Wizard 15 | Bard 15 | Ranger 15...having 3 spell lists...just not 3 full caster spells/lists.

I just want in on this to make a nutso character, not even a super optimized one. I want to explore the creative space that opens up when you stretch the rules, even a little, of a game that had a mountain of options beforehand. I say, if the characters are too powerful, lean into that; rely less on direct combat and and more on situations that require using those abilities creatively. More combat needed? Use other tristalt villains.

(It’s entirely possible I’m talking out of my proverbial rear-end, but this concept excites me and I want to be a part of it.)

To be honest, I feel like Pathfinder is just a worse system for this. Firstly, yeah, IMO Pathfinder is just that little bit worse regardless, but part of the draw of the high-level gestalt 3.5 thing was the option for monstrous races which become plausible (even good!) as a result of the non-standard ruleset. 3.5 also goes on up into Epic levels (the rules aren't great, but they exist).

Now obviously with regard to monstrous races you could put something in place to allow for templates or whatever but I'm not sure how you would do that well. The best thing seems to be a PB/race points trade-off, though the Race-Builder is awful and I don't think you really want DMs having to approve custom races (so you probably either allow carte blanche and bear in mind that people can tweak and optimise that too, or limit it to the very small number of preprinted races). Plus, that's still only a fraction of what 3.5 allows (3.5 allows you actually to play powerful races; the race-builder just lets you sort-of pretend with approximating mechanics - there are some benefits to that approach, but also some obvious drawbacks).

All this said, I'd be in, if only for the hell of tooling up some random characters with such wacky rules - just building them can be a fun mechanical exercise. I do think it's a bit insane, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyManHerc View Post
I just want in on this to make a nutso character, not even a super optimized one. I want to explore the creative space that opens up when you stretch the rules, even a little, of a game that had a mountain of options beforehand. I say, if the characters are too powerful, lean into that; rely less on direct combat and and more on situations that require using those abilities creatively. More combat needed? Use other tristalt villains.

(Itís entirely possible Iím talking out of my proverbial rear-end, but this concept excites me and I want to be a part of it.)
As I said before, challenging a party is not an issue...even in a combat sense. Pathfinder has a multitude of monsters with CRs up to 39. I have an idea for above 20th level play as well...I am considering Mythic Rank games for any character that has made it to 20th level in a class...considering, not completely sold on it, but I am trying to convince myself lol. Also there is the option of tweaking in some epic levels. There is a 3rd party book called Legendary Levels that, in the opinion of most reviewers did a superior job to the 3.0/3.5 attempts. I might look into purchasing the books to open some options when that becomes relevant. Let's keep in mind that the 3.5 tristalt game has been around almost 3 years (over three years?) and no one has made it beyond 16th level...mostly due to a limited amount of DMs and the usual PbP attrition rates...I think for the time being the available Pathfinder monster challenges should suffice for hack and slash combat, and non-combat challenges is likely to be a requirement for a game to be approved. I am considering an application process for DMs to run games as well, including a commitment to a 50/50 split minimum on combat vs non-combat challenges to a game. Or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
All this said, I'd be in, if only for the hell of tooling up some random characters with such wacky rules - just building them can be a fun mechanical exercise. I do think it's a bit insane, though.
Always glad to see interest when you are starting a game, especially one of this scope...be it players or DMs...

I am building this as more than a splat your character concept here game though. I plan on the GMs being more interactive with operating the setting and the players to be able to interact more even outside of actual game play. By building a functional world around the game concept, it could be a way for the GMs and the players to become more invested and hopefully lead to less attrition. With multiple GMs to pick up the slack and an open door policy for players, it will hopefully create a more adaptive experience for all. That is the hope anyways...

I'd be super interested in something like this. I'd even offer to be a co-DM but I have no experience DMing Pathfinder, let alone a tristalt.