High school is the best place to learn how to save the world, right? - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

High school is the best place to learn how to save the world, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
Does anyone have any sort of particular pitch? CyberGoddess mentioned a possible sports/combat/magic/whatever competition as a theme that the characters would be involved in.
Not much, but the thought of a yugioh-style battle game using holograms where the game in question uses the mechanics of whatever system we're using would be an interesting and a little meta.
Quote:
I've had a few ideas myself. Genepunk assassins learning the tools of their trade. The academy of the spirit realm guardians. A magic school built to study and defend against the threat of a megadungeon. A bunch of pals trying to go about their days but someone is always getting kidnapped or catches a new ancient Chinese curse. Students investigating the recent disappearances and the weird rumors about the mysterious student council. Schools on the bad side of town getting into petty disputes over territory.
Genepunk sounds cool but I don't think it has the right tone for a game where we're punching people and giving friendship speeches. For similar reasons I'm not really interested in the investigation-game. The rest of these however all seem like good setups.

Quote:
There might be other RPG systems that are better "suited" to such a thing but I'm only going to run something I'm familiar with, sorry.
Completely understandable! Have a good game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRollFTW View Post
Genepunk sounds cool but I don't think it has the right tone for a game where we're punching people and giving friendship speeches.
You know, I have this idea in my mind that started as a Naruto expy but became decidedly darker very fast. Imagine D&D if every magic item was like the hand or eye of vecna. To be honest, Naruto is such a body horror circus it's amazing that it's written as a shounen.

Quote:
You know, I have this idea in my mind that started as a Naruto expy but became decidedly darker very fast. Imagine D&D if every magic item was like the hand or eye of vecna. To be honest, Naruto is such a body horror circus it's amazing that it's written as a shounen.
Well that is because almost all of the medical horrors in Naruto either done off-screen or explained by chakra. For a comparison between seinen and shounen watch gantz first episode and the difference becomes pretty obvious. Oh and there is the difference between culture of japanese and west world to be precise current japanese shows are censured because of west influence otherwise Naruto wold be at least Ninja Scroll or Fist of North Star level violent.

I’m not big on the investigation aspect, either, but a campaign that follows the basic shape of Rival Schools (anyone remember that game?) would be cool.

If you’re going for a more comedic tone, I’m amused by the idea of a popular competitive game that is very obviously dangerous, but still marketed toward kids. Bonus points if you can work in supernatural elements.

“This is, like, gladiatorial combat meets Pokemon Go.”

“Huh. You know, I’ve never thought of it that way.”

5 and 6 because the idea of a magical girl mecha game sounds interesting to me. Like instead of frilly costumes, the girls themselves turn into combat ready mecha. Ready to take on the forces of darkness

Quote:
Does anyone have any sort of particular pitch? CyberGoddess mentioned a possible sports/combat/magic/whatever competition as a theme that the characters would be involved in.

I've had a few ideas myself. Genepunk assassins learning the tools of their trade. The academy of the spirit realm guardians. A magic school built to study and defend against the threat of a megadungeon. A bunch of pals trying to go about their days but someone is always getting kidnapped or catches a new ancient Chinese curse. Students investigating the recent disappearances and the weird rumors about the mysterious student council. Schools on the bad side of town getting into petty disputes over territory.
I like your first two ideas

1. Had to look up what Genepunk means but I like the idea, I've always had a slight thing for enhanced physical functions via biotechnology. I loved the character design of John Silver in Treasure Planet with his robotic eye, leg and tool shifting hand that one of the forms is a hand cannon and another is a flamethrower but it also has scissors, chef knife and other cooking tools. I can think I can create a tech kid with various gadgets for his moves. Similar to someone like Gear from Static Shock

2. I've used the otherworld for a game of my own in which people gain spirit power and unlocked a spirit form that has all the powers of a D&D PC and they were somewhat like guardians between the mortal realm and the spirit realm.

Quote:
There might be other RPG systems that are better "suited" to such a thing but I'm only going to run something I'm familiar with, sorry.
Hey no worries, I'm more familiar with D&D 5e myself. I've barely scratched the surface of D&D 4e and haven't gotten a character past level 2 in Pathfinder and have not played anything relating to D&D 3.5 and below.

All right, judging by a lot of the responses so far, I think the main question is: magic girls or punchy boys? (Or magic boys or punchy girls?)

Which of these elicit the most interest for you folks?
1) Little Magic School on the Megadungeon
2) The training grounds at the gates of the afterlife, where spirits and the spiritually gifted develop might and magic to battle horrors from beyond.
3) Battle High, where overzealous students take their sports a bit too seriously and are always getting into trabble between themselves and the other schools in the city
4) The Metaphysics Research Society (title pending), a club of outcasts and goof-offs who may just have to end up saving the world
5) Lately People Have Been Awakening With Reincarnated Memories Of An Ancient Civilization, wherein a small group of teens must band up and use their new powers against the forces of darkness

All of those sound really interesting, but my heritage of anime and series makes me enjoy 3 and 4 the most