Tempest, a clash of magic - Mutants and Masterminds interest check - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Tempest, a clash of magic - Mutants and Masterminds interest check

Tempest, a clash of magic - Mutants and Masterminds interest check

System: Mutants and Masterminds 3.0 with variant rules

Power Level: TBD

Players: 4-6

Setting: The world of technology and magic have existed together but separate for thousands of years. Though as time passes, these two worlds clash together. Ordinary mortals are unaware of these clashes. Their minds clouded against the actions of the arcane. However, these clashes have become more and more frequent in recent years, and as magic resurfaces and bubbles through to reality, new actions need to be taken.

Those that are aware of magic have created new task forces to deal with mystic interference. But due to the variety and scope of the issue, have been forced to take on recruits of mystic persuasion, rather than just that of police and military.

The world itself is a modern-day city (to be determined), with a hidden background of Kami, Fey, Witches, Warlocks, and other spectral beings.

Magic: The magic of this setting is elementally oriented. Each elementalist can manipulate a singular element (fire, wind, water, earth) as well as ‘spiritual’ energy. Spiritual energy allows for manipulation of elements and communication/viewing of spirits. Having a portion of spiritual energy allows a person to remember spiritual encounters as well as interact with spirits.

References: Dresden Files, Avatar: The last Airbender, Kaze No Stigma

Any questions, concerns, interest?

Coul you give more specifics on the variant rules you mention will be in use?

Sure! I'm using a variant set up by a couple of players on this site (Saint, and Neopopulas)

One is a series of hit point rules:
Damage TrackHit Points = Game's Power Level

The Toughness Save: Toughness will be rolled normally, with the level of failure determining how many hit points are lost. Consult the following table:

Failed by 1-5:1 hit point damage
Failed by 6-10:2 hit points damage
Failed by 11-15:3 hit points damage
Failed by 16-20:4 hit points of damage

When a character's hit points reaches zero, they are considered to be Disabled. Any action taken after this condition occurs results in unconsciousness. A character dies if he fails any toughness save after reaching zero hit points.

New FeatsSoak:
Increases maximum Hit Points by 1 per rank. Soak can only be taken a number of times equal to the game's power level, effectively capping Hit Points at PLx2.

Power ModificationsRegeneration:
The Regeneration effect will keep most of its functionality. You will regenerate 1 hit point per minute, per rank, divided evenly among the turns in that minute. Example: With 10 combat turns per minute, Regeneration 10 will recover 10 hit points per minute or 1 hit point per turn.

Healing:
Each use of the Healing effect will recover one hit point per degree of success.

Next, there will be no initiative per say. It will go heroes (in order of posting), and then villains. Or villains then heroes (in order of posting). So there will be no initiative advantages.

Others are minor tweaks.

I might be interested...

Throwing my hat into the ring and I have some questions.
  • Does the house rule mean you lose Hit Points instead of accruing Toughness penalties and Conditions or along with it?
  • Isn't increased Soak mandatory?
  • Is the use of magic secret or not? Is that likely to change?
  • "Those that are aware of magic have created new task forces to deal with mystic interference. But due to the variety and scope of the issue, have been forced to take on recruits of mystic persuasion, rather than just that of police and military." Is the implication Technology is bad? Mysticism is bad?
  • Is magic natural born talent or learned skill?
  • Are there any non-human races?

Sounds like an interesting premise. The elemental focus slightly surprises me since for some reason in my head it doesn't fit with the sort of modern magic kind of thing, but I guess there's no reason why not.

What's the thinking behind the hp thing? Doesn't this a) mean that there's basically no penalty for losing hp until 0, a la D&D, and b) fights will potentially take aaaages? If I have 20hp, that basically means I need 20 failures on Toughness rolls - I could get multiple per attack, but realistically I'm going to have to be hit at least five times, and probably a lot more. I feel like this will be slower. Also c), people are either functioning at 100% or they're one hp away from death - it becomes hard to knock people out without killing them (which might mean that fights are either too easy or too lethal, with the middle ground becoming very narrow).

I dunno, I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing it in action, that's just my concern upon first seeing it.

We could do with some more M&M games around here, regardless!

I would definitely be interested in this

Sounds interesting, all the references you've mentioned are great. I'm just curious about the PL, this sounds like a PL8~10 game to me, but I might be wrong.

Dresden Files is the biggest selling point for me! Total throwing my hat in when you get the game up.