Tempest, a clash of magic - Mutants and Masterminds interest check - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Tempest, a clash of magic - Mutants and Masterminds interest check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme View Post
Throwing my hat into the ring and I have some questions.
  • Does the house rule mean you lose Hit Points instead of accruing Toughness penalties and Conditions or along with it?
    That's right. The toughness dazed/staggered/dropped for D&D like toughness.
  • Isn't increased Soak mandatory?
    No, PL soak would be the average toughness for a person. Increased Soak would be fore a tougher character.
  • Is the use of magic secret or not? Is that likely to change?
    Magic is an open secret. There's no one actively hiding it. But like the dresden files, those who aren't magically inclined tend to forget or come up with excuses for what they've seen. Technology that's recorded it tends to disappear.
  • "Those that are aware of magic have created new task forces to deal with mystic interference. But due to the variety and scope of the issue, have been forced to take on recruits of mystic persuasion, rather than just that of police and military." Is the implication Technology is bad? Mysticism is bad?
    Neither is bad per say. But when you have a rogue fey deciding it wants an area as it's new home, that just so happens to be a shopping mall, bad things happen. Technology isn't really prepared for magic, and magic isn't prepared for the rules of technology. Though there are some exceptions.
  • Is magic natural born talent or learned skill?
    Yes. Repeated exposure has a chance to awaken magic inside of a non-magical individual. But the alteration of their reality means that there is likely a mental breakdown happening as well. But children exposed to a lot of magic may be made aware of magic without too big of mental consequences. But the most common source of magically talented people are those born with the awareness.
  • Are there any non-human races?
    Yes and no. Players will be playing humans or mostly humans. Having fey bloodline is fine, but you must be mostly human. Otherwise, people will in general forget conversations with you. And you would be unable to properly interact with everyday civilians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Sounds like an interesting premise. The elemental focus slightly surprises me since for some reason in my head it doesn't fit with the sort of modern magic kind of thing, but I guess there's no reason why not.

What's the thinking behind the hp thing? Doesn't this a) mean that there's basically no penalty for losing hp until 0, a la D&D, and b) fights will potentially take aaaages? If I have 20hp, that basically means I need 20 failures on Toughness rolls - I could get multiple per attack, but realistically I'm going to have to be hit at least five times, and probably a lot more. I feel like this will be slower. Also c), people are either functioning at 100% or they're one hp away from death - it becomes hard to knock people out without killing them (which might mean that fights are either too easy or too lethal, with the middle ground becoming very narrow).

I dunno, I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing it in action, that's just my concern upon first seeing it.

We could do with some more M&M games around here, regardless!

It hasn't taken extra time in the games I've played with it so far, but if there need to be tweaks I'll make them as the game progresses. To be honest, few people take more than 3 or 4 soak in preference of taking other powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwes View Post
Sounds interesting, all the references you've mentioned are great. I'm just curious about the PL, this sounds like a PL8~10 game to me, but I might be wrong.

You're pretty on the nose right there. I'm currently thinking of doing a pl 10 campaign with 120 points. Meaning that the players are set up for pl 8, but if they want to have something a bit more powerful or a bit more skillful, they can go up to pl 10.
Thanks for the interest.

I know I might be in the minority but I'd say drop the PL to around 6 or so. It'll make the game a little more gritty, and have the PC's on a higher tier than standard people (e.g. cops) but no so far ahead that they will seem like supers.

What's everyone else's thoughts on a lower PL?

What is the setting like? Similar to Republic City in Korra? Because a sort of Roaring '20s-style-meets-elemental-magic/magitech thing would be really cool.

The only problem I see with lowering the PL is that the dice starts to have a bigger role in deciding stuff. PL 6 is not that chaotic, but anything lower than that becomes pure gamble.

If you want a sort of 'realistic' street level 'mostly human but with magic' like something from Rivers of London, lower PL.

If you want something like 'human but also with cosmic powers' like Dresden files i'd keep a higher PL

So what are the charactrs in this world? Are they a task force? On the side of magic? On the side of technology? A neutral force just trying to stop the war?

Personally I'm fine with a lower PL, though PL 6 is quite far down there. I'd probably pitch it between there and 10 - if you're some kind of elite "task force" member, then even if you have no "superpowers" then it's quite possible that you'd be around the PL 10 level, but that's the normal level for superheroes so it still feels rather of extraordinary (like, you're amongst the very best non-super-powered people). The rules don't even really talk about starting PLs below 8 so I'd probably only do that if you wanted things to feel very low-powered, mundane, and gritty like average Joe street fighter types.

What sort of city were you thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Firebird View Post
What is the setting like? Similar to Republic City in Korra? Because a sort of Roaring '20s-style-meets-elemental-magic/magitech thing would be really cool.

The setting will be modern day with magic. Similar to that of Dresden files and Kaze no Stigma. Magic and technology don't mix well. But don't exactly immediately cancel each other out either. A heavily magical area would have terrible cell signal and battery life. But wouldn't ruin your phone or stop a medical machine from working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMiko View Post
So what are the charactrs in this world? Are they a task force? On the side of magic? On the side of technology? A neutral force just trying to stop the war?

There's no war per say. More of growing pains. Magic is returning for some reason, and it's causing trouble in a world that for centuries has been very lacking in magic. Spirits are showing up out of nowhere, and fey are returning and doing their tricks. You are on a human task force to keep things in check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Personally I'm fine with a lower PL, though PL 6 is quite far down there. I'd probably pitch it between there and 10 - if you're some kind of elite "task force" member, then even if you have no "superpowers" then it's quite possible that you'd be around the PL 10 level, but that's the normal level for superheroes so it still feels rather of extraordinary (like, you're amongst the very best non-super-powered people). The rules don't even really talk about starting PLs below 8 so I'd probably only do that if you wanted things to feel very low-powered, mundane, and gritty like average Joe street fighter types.

What sort of city were you thinking of?

I don't know if I'm going to do a real city or not. But I'm currently thinking of a large city with parks in it. Maybe something similar to Houston, or maybe New York.
I like the idea of a gritty feel. So I may set the pl at 8, but give points for pl 6, let the players grow into a pl8 style.

I'll throw my proverbial hat in the ring. I've been wanting to get into a gritty M&M 3e game for a while, and the supernatural element in this piques my interest.