your advice - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

your advice

Ah, isnt this alot like Mind Blast from a Mindflayer, just more damage? Why not make a spell called mind blast and make it do damage according to the casters level? otherwise, cool spell.

Telekinetic Explosion

20d6 is too high. Cone of Cold is lvl 5 and deals 15d6. Something I think you guys might have overlooked is that Farland is giving it a 30 foot radius burst and the added maneuverability that fireball has. That makes it more powerful in two ways than cone of cold. I guess I can see why it wouldn't be a cleric spell, but how 'bout a bard spell. Also I was thinking if you're less than a certain intelligence you shouldn't be affected. Plus I was thinking wouldn't it be cool to tie to your intelligence modifier somehow. I can't think of how to do this though. I was also wondering if there were a more applicable effect like maybe dazed or something. I like the idea of falling to the floor clutching your head with the pain, but I can't understand the moving five feet idea. Wouldn't a fort save be more applicable then? I'm just an amateur at all this compared to you guys, but those are all my ideas.

Telekinetic Explosion

20d6 is too high. Cone of Cold is lvl 5 and deals 15d6. Something I think you guys might have overlooked is that Farland is giving it a 30 foot radius burst and the added maneuverability that fireball has. That makes it more powerful in two ways than cone of cold. I guess I can see why it wouldn't be a cleric spell, but how 'bout a bard spell. Also I was thinking if you're less than a certain intelligence you shouldn't be affected. Plus I was thinking wouldn't it be cool to tie to your intelligence modifier somehow. I can't think of how to do this though. I was also wondering if there were a more applicable effect like maybe dazed or something. I like the idea of falling to the floor clutching your head with the pain, but I can't understand the moving five feet idea. Wouldn't a fort save be more applicable then? I'm just an amateur at all this compared to you guys, but those are all my ideas.

Valanduil and spelling both have made a bit of a mistake. It isn't a mental effect, it's a physical force that hits you, the force is perhaps generated from the mentality of the caster-- although hell, maybe it's not, but it is the same force that empowers telekinesis-- but in any case, it has nothing to do with affecting the user's mind. It is not really similar to a Mind Flayer's Mindblast. Hence the knockback and the stun.

The radius is 30 feet, larger than fireball, and it is certainly more powerful than cone of cold. Chain lightning, however, is a 6th level spell that caps at 20d6 and affects one person per level of the caster (although the secondary targets admittedly take only half damage) as long as they are within 30 feet of the target. So to me, the spell looks good as written, except based on feedback, I am thinking of perhaps doing one of two things to bring it in line with chain lightning, if you feel it is unbalanced as written: 1) cap the damage at perhaps 15d6 or lower the area to 20 feet radius.

What do you think?

Valanduil and spelling both have made a bit of a mistake. It isn't a mental effect, it's a physical force that hits you, the force is perhaps generated from the mentality of the caster-- although hell, maybe it's not, but it is the same force that empowers telekinesis-- but in any case, it has nothing to do with affecting the user's mind. It is not really similar to a Mind Flayer's Mindblast. Hence the knockback and the stun.

The radius is 30 feet, larger than fireball, and it is certainly more powerful than cone of cold. Chain lightning, however, is a 6th level spell that caps at 20d6 and affects one person per level of the caster (although the secondary targets admittedly take only half damage) as long as they are within 30 feet of the target. So to me, the spell looks good as written, except based on feedback, I am thinking of perhaps doing one of two things to bring it in line with chain lightning, if you feel it is unbalanced as written: 1) cap the damage at perhaps 15d6 or lower the area to 20 feet radius.

What do you think?

I like the spell, but don't get why you would need to see your targets, or how you could select them. If the caster is causing a release of raw telekinetic energy, how does it distinguish friend or foe; visible or invisible. I imagine this spell as a telekinetic "hand-grenade". Perhaps I am missing something?

I like the spell, but don't get why you would need to see your targets, or how you could select them. If the caster is causing a release of raw telekinetic energy, how does it distinguish friend or foe; visible or invisible. I imagine this spell as a telekinetic "hand-grenade". Perhaps I am missing something?

This is my opinion of what it should be to be considered balanced. ill copy/paste and edit the first post you made farland to show my example, if thats ok with you.

Telekinetic Explosion
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Self only
Area: 10 ft./per 4 caster levels (max 50 ft.)
Target or Targets: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half and Reflex (special); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell potentially affects all creatures in a (see above) radius, hitting each enemy with a wave of telekinetic force away from the caster. The caster can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although he must be able to see the creatures. The spell deals each enemy 1d6 points of force damage per caster level (maximum 20d6); a successful will save will halve this damage. Enemies must then make a reflex save or be knocked one square away from the center point of the spell and knocked prone. Enemies who fail both saves are also stunned for one round.
------------------------------------------

As you can see, its range is limited until the caster gains more levels, but it doesnt lack in damage or power any other way except that instead of the caster chosing a certian spot to cast the spell, the spell originates from the body of the caster, basicly like a Repulsion spell. This is only my opinion, I personally like it they way it is (hehe, i like big spells, weapons, and items, noticed the nova spell i showed ya?) I just want to try to make it slightly more balanced. I mean, if this is a spell that focuses on tele., shouldnt originate from the casters head or body? Like telekinesis?

This is my opinion of what it should be to be considered balanced. ill copy/paste and edit the first post you made farland to show my example, if thats ok with you.

Telekinetic Explosion
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Self only
Area: 10 ft./per 4 caster levels (max 50 ft.)
Target or Targets: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half and Reflex (special); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell potentially affects all creatures in a (see above) radius, hitting each enemy with a wave of telekinetic force away from the caster. The caster can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although he must be able to see the creatures. The spell deals each enemy 1d6 points of force damage per caster level (maximum 20d6); a successful will save will halve this damage. Enemies must then make a reflex save or be knocked one square away from the center point of the spell and knocked prone. Enemies who fail both saves are also stunned for one round.
------------------------------------------

As you can see, its range is limited until the caster gains more levels, but it doesnt lack in damage or power any other way except that instead of the caster chosing a certian spot to cast the spell, the spell originates from the body of the caster, basicly like a Repulsion spell. This is only my opinion, I personally like it they way it is (hehe, i like big spells, weapons, and items, noticed the nova spell i showed ya?) I just want to try to make it slightly more balanced. I mean, if this is a spell that focuses on tele., shouldnt originate from the casters head or body? Like telekinesis?

It seems strong, yet eloquent in its simplicity i would almost venture to say - another gem Farland old friend, and I say the spell is fine as is, just my two copper worth of course. Perhaps, make it a Psion spell as well ? It seems to empower the same ability (mental, or mind in some relative form or another) that a Psion might be able to tap..