Printing Character Sheets - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Printing Character Sheets

using chrome, on Windows 10, there is no operable way to print characters. attempts to print to pdf creates a butchered, corrupt, ILLEGIBLE pdf. totally useless for all intents & purpose. saving it to pdf with my HTC10 created an unbutchered, printable pdf, before you removed that function. the JSON format is unopenable & unprintable. completely unusable. does it actually do anything?

JSON is a data input/export format, it's meant for creating backups that the sheets system can read, not a human.

That said, not sure about the Windows10 issue on Chrome. Seems odd that the Chrome print to PDF feature would work differently there than it does on 7/8, but maybe someone who runs it can give a hand?

One option is to download a program that creates a faux-printer, like CutePDF or something, and when you run the "print" dialog it sends the output to that as though it were a real printer. Can sometimes help get around formatting issues with "save to PDF" style stuff.

i don't know if this helps, but there's a large, blank space at the top of the pdf that Chrome tries to create, exactly the size of the banner ad at the top of the screen when the character sheet is onscreen. the data on the sheet is all shunted down an equivalent amount, and any part of the document near the bottom gets completely removed from page 1, in it's entirety (not just the bottom inch or so. ALL OF IT.), butchered into illegibility and it's illegible result put at the top of page 2, which aside from the butchered content, is blank.

Holyavenger ..

I just successfully printed my character sheet to PDF. I have PDFill tools ( free version ) installed. I have had trouble using the MS built in pdf printer in the past, and that is why I installed PDFill.

I am running Chrome on Win10 as well.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

-E

Quote:
saving it to pdf with my HTC10 created an unbutchered, printable pdf, before you removed that function
I didn't remove that function, because it's part of your browser, not anything we've done here.

In order to attempt to reproduce your issue I'll need a play by play, probably with screenshots, of what you're doing to get that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyavenger5 View Post
i don't know if this helps, but there's a large, blank space at the top of the pdf that Chrome tries to create, exactly the size of the banner ad at the top of the screen when the character sheet is onscreen. the data on the sheet is all shunted down an equivalent amount, and any part of the document near the bottom gets completely removed from page 1, in it's entirety (not just the bottom inch or so. ALL OF IT.), butchered into illegibility and it's illegible result put at the top of page 2, which aside from the butchered content, is blank.
That's because chrome creates a PDF from everything on the page. Everything. It does not know what's adds and what's content. There is nothing much that the staff here can do about it other than removing all adds from the character sheets. And that's obviously not an option for them.

Quote:
That's because chrome creates a PDF from everything on the page. Everything. It does not know what's adds and what's content.
That's not quite true. There's print-specific css for the page, which changes how a lot of it looks. One of the main things the print css does is remove the navigation and ads.

In the attached screenshot I have chrome emulating print mode and you can see what it looks like, and in the bottom right that the print media styles are applied, with "display: none" for the ad container (and, as a result, no ad container)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 8.22.27 AM.png (220.4 KB, 0 views)

I've been having printing issues as well recently. It started with Chrome and spread to all my browsers.
Win10 Pro 1703 - D&D3.5 sheet.
I've tried Chrome/IE/FF, and tried printing to PDF (with the MS driver) and then printing that.

See how the Spells & Powers title is shoved down the page. It looks fine before I print it.

I can confirm Elkad's layout issues with the 3.5e sheet printing in Chrome. It prints fine in Safari. Probably a div nesting issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Which sheet? Certain sheets are more printable than others. Print ability is not a high priority for us, but the newer sheets are designed to be paginated.
For the 3.5e sheet. is there anything I could do to make it printable. Even if I could build a character sheet