Chromatic Council - Campaign Setting - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Chromatic Council - Campaign Setting

And what is the rest of the Red Dragons thinking about their Elder turning into a Dracolich?
Seems to me individual Red Dragons would quikly loose respect for their undead elder. Perhaps this would spawn a Red Civil War, with one or more ambitious Old Red declare themself the new rightful Red Elder, some seeking allies in younger Red Dragon, other ones in the Chromatic Council; other one being still loyal (perhaps contrained or dominated) to the Dracolich...

Also, does it have to be the Red Elder who turn into a Dracolich? Seems to me the BBEG is always the Red Dragon... Perhaps a scheming Blue Dragon? Or an overly paranoid White Dragon, tired of being manipulated by EVERY other Elders and seeing them not doing anything about global warming, mocked on by everyone in the realms (including probably your players!), snaps and turn into a Dracolich, and unexpectedly triumphs over the Red Elder...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran Shields View Post
I remember council of wyrms back in the day. It has kind of a similar feel, however I don't want the players actually playing dragon characters.
I was thinking you could utilize it to help create how the different types of dragons interact. Not so much for as a completed playbook - but more as something you could derive from.

Well, the first thing to consider when fleshing out a campaign setting is "how will my players interact with this?" I would integrate a sort of faction system, with the three main obviously being The Chromatic Council, Bahamut Paladins, and the Red Dragon's group, giving them some cool name like the Tarnished Scale. One aspect I would change is the nature of the Elites. Spend all that time training and risking your life, only to be swallowed by a dragon, isn't a good job pitch.

I would actually change it so they are beholden in some magical way to whatever dragon currently rules over them. Like pawns in a game of dragon chess, they would be the pieces members of the Chromatic Council use against their follows instead of engaging in actual combat against each other. Here's why I would change it.
1: The Elite position seems like it would be either a punishment or a risk only taken up by the most virtuous of souls, which doesn't lend itself well to political machinations.
2: It would give the players a bit more freedom in backstory, alignment, and motivation. Elites might be caged birds, but at least the cage would be gilded and the food consistent. They could still be heroic volunteers, but it opens the way for power hungry neutrals and self serving lawful evils.
3: All the dragons having powerful Elites under their command allows you to have recurring named villains that represent your draconic foes, but not actually facing the elders themselves in combat. You know, suicidally. Maybe the Red's Elites became undead themselves due to their magical connections, making his army all the more of a threat.

Even if you do decide to leave the Elite idea alone, I would still add some exceptionally dangerous or powerful servants of the dragons. Maybe treat Dragonborn as brainwashed cultists that worship their ancestors and form the bulk of their armies/secret police?

Just as a small reminder, Paladins do not require a religion in DnD 5e raw. They just need an oath. While most paladins have a religion it is not required for them to have their powers. So if you are eliminating classes because of religion I wouldn't eliminate paladins. Just tell your players that they have to be oath only paladins and not religious paladins.