Jungle Creatures - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Jungle Creatures

Jungle Creatures

Hi everyone,

I'm running a Dungeon World 'campaign', that takes place in a jungle setting. While Dungeon World provides a handful of suitable creatures (mostly D&D based) for the setting I've been trying to brainstorm a few more. I thought I could open the
discussion to the community of very talented GMs here and see what we can come up with. If you know of any source material, from any system, that has races or creatures suitable for a jungle, I'd really appreciate the info! But I'd mostly like us to brainstorm a few new races/creatures together

Don't worry about statting the creature/race just yet (unless you wish to), just a brief monster manual-esque description of your creature would be great, and it might end up getting used in my campaign or someone else's campaign.

Jungle creatures? Off the top of my head...
  • Snakes
  • Jaguars
  • Snake-people
  • Jaguar-warriors
  • Bloated undead corpses
  • Flesh-eating plants
  • Flesh-eating insects
  • Flesh-eating parasites
  • Backwater halfling river pirates
  • Savage orc tribes painted in woad

I think that's a pretty good start...

Also - Monkeys, spiders, molds, other fungi, bats, stirges/mosquitos, caiman/alligators, flowers of sleep, army ants/bees (as flesh eating insects above), macaws, parrots, piranhas, tapir. If you are looking for fantasy races to talk to, anthropomorphic versions of these work, as well as jungle treants, various other types of bird people (like eagle warriors), myconids, mist folk, some sort of plant people, ect. Anthropomorphism is fun and relatively easy.

• Headhunters
  • Cannibals
  • Insects, giant insects, insect swarms, lots and lots and lots of insects...
  • Disease
  • coatl/feathered serpent
  • vultures
  • dinosaurs
  • vampiric were-panthers
  • monkey/ape people
  • leeches
  • bats, vampire bats

Source Material:

X1: Isle of Dread
I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Dungeon Magazine 142 - 145 - Savage Times AP takes to the Isle of Dread
Pathfinder Serpent Skull AP

I am sure if you google hard enough, you will be able to find where to get the OOP modules and issues of Dungeon.

If you can find Bastion Press' book "Into the Green," it has a whole section on jungles including a bunch of new critters. d20-based but you can get inspired. Lots of fey, plant and undead creatures including:

- Incorporeal, chaotic neutral ghostlike fey called Bedwen, that are similar to dryads but attached to olive trees...they have divination abilities and are sought out for these powers but have a Wisdom drain attack if they're angry...
- Tiny bug-winged evil fey called Thornclaws that have a mild paralysis attack, who are almost harmless alone but in a swarm of 4+ can be a problem...
- a big plant called a Grovenger that is the enraged animated remains of an old abandoned druid grove...
- A plant called a Greenfeeder that becomes alive after feeding on a lot of blood from a battlefield (and needs more blood to survive)...
- Arborgeists, which are basically evil Treant ghosts of treants that died in horrible fires...they had some super nasty abilities like an aura of cold damage, horrific appearance (like a ghost), command plants, and a death explosion similar to a balor's but less powerful
- Autumnal Mourners, which are bard-like ghosts of people who died in unmarked, unmourned woodland graves who are benign in every season except autumn, when they become vengeful spirits...they have a bard-like power to sing a sad song that captivates/demoralizes people and they have an ability to surround themselves with fallen leaves that provide a miss chance...