Aelsif Ability Scores - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Aelsif Ability Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervus View Post
Regarding having high strength and dexterity mechanically "making sense", it depends on what "making sense" means. I can easily see such a character being suboptimal but that relies on other aspects of the system- like to what degree each attribute affects their derived statistics, how frequent and difficult those checks are, how dexterity aligned weapons compare to strength weapons, and so on. Would you elaborate on his position?
Melee attack: Str or dex.
Melee damage: Str, dex for slash with "Edge Alignment". Dex for pierce with "Improved Edge Alignment".
Thrown/thrower attack: Dex, Str with "Power Throw".
Thrown/thrower damage: See melee damage.
Ranged attack: Dex.
Bow damage: Str, dex for hunting bows with "Trickshot".
All other ranged damage: None.

I may be forgetting something.

Quote:
More than a DEX/STR dichotomy affecting character building, I am interested in how tying CON, a physical stat that in most game systems is considered too valuable to dump, to a magic point system may affect this sense of balance. Granted, I haven't read much about your magic system, nor am I aware of how you value character balance in your game. Have you done any playtesting or built any sample characters to benchmark?
Actual stats:
10+Con
10+Con per level, plus extra 10 levels worth (100+10Con)
1d20+0.5Lvl+Con
1d20+Con

So the effect on HP isn't as large as in some other games, every 2 constitution is 10% of your base. You'd have 5 HP at 1 constitution, 10 at 10, 15 at 20, 20 at 30. So on.

Aura points represent your ability to work in the aura ether, which takes energy and focus. Running low leaves you tired, scatter-brained and irritable with a pounding headache. It only comes back when resting or using consumables, alcohol will make it regen faster when resting but to get it without resting you would need stimulants.

This means that yes, high con is useful for aura but when you can just get your caster a coffee and a cancer it's less important than it sounds.

The others are pretty standard.

Bit off topic:
You've mentioned using stimulants before, but this is the first you've mentioned booze as a way to aid in aura regen.

Does this mean some magic-users start every morning with a healthy breakfast of irish coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
Bit off topic:
You've mentioned using stimulants before, but this is the first you've mentioned booze as a way to aid in aura regen.

Does this mean some magic-users start every morning with a healthy breakfast of irish coffee?
Alcohol only helps when resting, so more of a lunch or dinner thing. You'd have an irish coffee with lunch and take an hour nap, and come back de-stressed, with your headache gone, your energy back and your focus regained through the combined magics of day drinking and sleeping at work. (I wonder why so many people have a negative view of casters...)

If you don't have enough time, try an aura tonic. It's a commercial beverage sold as a nerve tonic made with carbonated water, cane sugar, kola nuts and coca leaves. Not safe for people with heart conditions, may be habit forming. Drink aura tonic: It's the real thing.

You know, I feel like I should make a whole thread about the magic system, how to keep a caster going and why people dislike casters largely as a consequence of these rules. (There's religious reasons too, but which is a bigger factor varies between regions.)