A Word About Being a DM/GM - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

A Word About Being a DM/GM

This hit the nail on the head as to why a good chunk of my games die. I can't say "no" during applications. If I say I'm accepting 4, I get 9 really good apps, and I end up accepting them all and getting overwhelmed.

I have been saying "no" more often though so that's good.

But yes. This needs a sticky.

Again, many thanks guys.

@Octavian_5: Don't worry, no one said anyone was perfect. We all have things to work on. You have 'saying no' and I have the problem of being overzealous and starting too many games. XD

I'm working with Nikolai to set up the wiki infrastructure for GM Workshop articles; once it's ready, this will definitely get moved there. Thanks for the good work, ShamedShadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
I'm working with Nikolai to set up the wiki infrastructure for GM Workshop articles; once it's ready, this will definitely get moved there. Thanks for the good work, ShamedShadow.
Alright, sounds good.

Also, I honestly thought everyone was going to be like, "You're retarded, shut up. Everyone already knows this." XD

Some may know this already or just parts. You have presented this information with grand articulation. It was both well thought out and concise.

I would say it's also important to be clear and honest. it;s not the most common complaint about DM's but it's certainly the most damning:

"he actually wanted us to play X, but i asked if i could play Y, and he let me, and then proceeded to make playing Y with any degree of fun or competence impossible... and finally explained that he actually wanted X long after I'd been through a lot of frustration."

I've seen that type of remark several times on MW, and many more IRL and on other forums.

If you want X, SAY SO. Don't be a passive-aggressive jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I would say it's also important to be clear and honest. it;s not the most common complaint about DM's but it's certainly the most damning:

"he actually wanted us to play X, but i asked if i could play Y, and he let me, and then proceeded to make playing Y with any degree of fun or competence impossible... and finally explained that he actually wanted X long after I'd been through a lot of frustration."

I've seen that type of remark several times on MW, and many more IRL and on other forums.

If you want X, SAY SO. Don't be a passive-aggressive jerk.
Definitely. I'll add in some stuff about that. Good point there.

Nice article. Spotted a missing text chunk though.

Quote:
And there's a misconception that it's not okay to say 'no' to something. If a player
...peters off there. It's from the end of the "You're in charge," paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder how this ends
You’re in charge, so don’t be afraid to let it show. If you don’t want something in your game, make certain that people won’t ask you about it. Again, lists are very handy for this. Having a list of all the things you specifically do and don’t want in the game can make or break a player’s decision to join. If the player reads your “Don’t do this” list and decides that the game isn’t for them, then they probably weren’t the sort of player you were looking for anyway. Remember, you are the Dungeon Master. You control of what sort of game the players ultimately experience. You say what flies and what doesn’t. If you don’t want Chaotic Evil Sorcerers who focus in Necromancy, then by all means, don’t allow them. And there's a misconception that it's not okay to say 'no' to something. If a player

I saw that a couple of days ago and I was going to mention it but after seeing that apparently nobody who posted here, seemed to notice/mind it, I decided to wait and see who'll be the first to point it out. Call it morbid curiosity, if you wish, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm wandering how that's supposed to end.

Great OP, by the way.