First time GM - Help? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

First time GM - Help?

First time GM - Help?

I want to run a game here on the Weave, but I'm nervous. I've only GMed freeform games, and that's been almost 20 years ago. The good thing about pbp is that I can review the rulebook before making a decision.

So why am I so nervous? Well frankly, the setup here seems so complicated. First there's the ad thread, then the character sign up thread, player info thread, the game thread itself, and so on. I'm a little intimidated.

And then there's story lines. How do I make sure my creative font doesn't run dry?

I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Don't tackle the whole problem at once; break it down.

Sit down sometime when your free and open up your favorite word processor. Write down character signup thread. Once finished take a few deep breaths, check for spelling or grammar errors. Then walk away, eat lunch. Come back and do another part later. Time is your friend if you haven't starting collecting apps.

I understand where you're coming from. I came from a history of playing Freeform for a long time before making the jump to PbP. But Rena is right - break it down into manageable parts.

Outside of the ad thread, which is an important part of showcasing your prospective game to those who might be interested, every other thread can be made up as you see fit. However, for your reference, the last time I built up a campaign forum here, I set things up kinda like this:
*Main Folder - Announcements thread (sticky'd and locked), main RP thread(s), OOC thread
*Application Folder (for those applying for the game) - Creation Rules thread (stickied and locked), Creation Questions thread (stick'd), and everyone's character app threads
--sub folder: Completed Apps (move anyone's character thread into this folder once they've declared it complete, making picking characters a little easier)
*World Building Folder (optional) - as many threads as you need to flesh out the setting

The big thing here is the character creation rules, as that will answer a lot of questions that might come up. In the case of Pathfinder, for example, I recommend listing out starting level, class/race restrictions, starting gold, house rules (such as the Feat Tax Removal, or Background Skills), etc. If at all possible, take a look at another campaign's threads for reference.

Now as for your other questions, keep in mind that you will have your players as a source of inspiration, as well as any other inspirations you collect ahead of time. And I do recommend you find some sources of inspiration to continually reference. I use images I've collected to keep my mind in the right direction, as well as a lot of random notes. Also, it doesn't hurt to loosely and roughly outline your intended plot, but be ready to alter and adjust as needed.

Anyhow, that about sums up the stuff that ran through my head. Regardless, take your time and handle it all one step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondragon007 View Post
(...) How do I make sure my creative font doesn't run dry?
Choose something that you are excited and passionate about. This may be the narrative, or the opening premise, the main themes of the game, or the setting; anything really. If you do that, writing the ad and the other bits will become easier. If not, then it makes it more likely that you and potential players will lose interest in the long run.

Then, try to choose the system and players that mesh well with your ideas. That's usually the trickier bit.

To continue on the last post (this is something i learned from experience)

Never go with a passing fancy

By the time post 1 begins and, you and the players start playing, the passing fancy might have passed. Look to the books, games and movie you pick up again. What about them keeps bringing you back to them? Can you emulate that in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena_ishtar View Post
To continue on the last post (this is something i learned from experience)

Never go with a passing fancy

By the time post 1 begins and, you and the players start playing, the passing fancy might have passed. Look to the books, games and movie you pick up again. What about them keeps bringing you back to them? Can you emulate that in the game?
Words of wisdom!

I have fallen prey to passing fancies.