Aelsif Ability Scores - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Aelsif Ability Scores

Aelsif Ability Scores

Partner said to put these up for review. Said he couldn't see all three mental attributes being high making sense from a roleplay perspective. He also thinks that having high strength and high dexterity at the same time doesn't make sense mechanically. Not sure I agree with either, but here I am passing those questions on to you.

Strength:
Melee attack, if higher than dex. (Throw attack with feat.)
Melee damage.
Some ranged damage.
Carrying capacity.
Strength checks. (Common)

Dexterity:
Melee attack, if higher than strength. (Slash or pierce damage with feat.)
Ranged attack.
Dodge bonus to AC.
Reflex saves. (Least used save.)
A lot of skills, including acrobatics and stealth.
Dexterity checks. (Rare)

Constitution:
Hit points.
Aura points. (Magic resource.)
Fortitude saves.
Constitution checks. (Very common.)

Intelligence:
Learning ability, logic and memory retention.
Skill points.
Proficiency points.
Language points.
A lot of skills, including the craft and knowledge groups.
Intelligence checks. (Rare)

Charisma:
Spirit points. (Magic resource.)
A lot of skills, including all social and musical skills.
Charisma checks. (Common.)

Faith:
Negative energy resistance. (Positive if undead.)
Will save. (Most used save.)
A couple skills, which are auto-hypnosis, concentration and profession.
Faith checks. (Very rare.)

Sorry, what's the question exactly? Can someone have high strength, high dexterity and high constition? Yes, I can imagine that.

Mental, not physical. Also there were two questions, and I was told to put it up for review so it isn't just about either of those.

Yes, I can see someone having very high Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Such people would be uncommon, as would someone with all very high physical stats, but to say it doesn't make sense from a roleplay perspective is a perspective I'm having a hard time shift myself into.

They'd be the cult leader, the celebrity inventory, the singer-songwriter-pillar of community that also has a post-graduate degree. They exist, but, again, are not particularly common.

Everything else in here more or less mirrors standard D&D practice, but with different frequencies and names. There's nothing too unusual about it. I might request the ability to shift magic resources via feats, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
Yes, I can see someone having very high Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Such people would be uncommon, as would someone with all very high physical stats, but to say it doesn't make sense from a roleplay perspective is a perspective I'm having a hard time shift myself into.

They'd be the cult leader, the celebrity inventory, the singer-songwriter-pillar of community that also has a post-graduate degree. They exist, but, again, are not particularly common.
Not wisdom, faith. It's a different stat, with wildly different implications and not even the same statistically.

Quote:
Everything else in here more or less mirrors standard D&D practice, but with different frequencies and names. There's nothing too unusual about it. I might request the ability to shift magic resources via feats, but that's about it.
You can do that.

Right, right. Faith.

Mechanically, the changes you've done with Faith are mostly a reshuffling of priorities. Again, mechanically, it doesn't do anything that will send stuff out of whack.

Quote:
Right, right. Faith.

Mechanically, the changes you've done with Faith are mostly a reshuffling of priorities. Again, mechanically, it doesn't do anything that will send stuff out of whack.
Mechanically? But that question was about roleplay. I mean, it wasn't my question, but it's... I just... I am getting frustrated.

Quote:
Well, the problem is that you forgot to clearly ask any questions in your first post.
Quote:
Said he couldn't see all three mental attributes being high making sense from a roleplay perspective.
Quote:
He also thinks that having high strength and high dexterity at the same time doesn't make sense mechanically.
I don't see the confusion. They don't have question marks, but they are right there. But, if I'm on Jeopardy.

Does it make sense from a roleplay perspective to have high intelligence, charisma and faith? (Again, I think it's possible, but it'd be pretty hard.)

Does having high strength and dexterity make sense mechanically? (I mean, it saves on feats. I think it works.)

Any other comments? (Probably not. I mean, this is intentionally very similar to D&D just making more sense and replacing "intelligence again, but with a different name" with the "firm beliefs and convictions" stat.)

Honestly, I didn't want to make this thread, my partner just wanted to settle an argument.

Regarding having high strength and dexterity mechanically "making sense", it depends on what "making sense" means. I can easily see such a character being suboptimal but that relies on other aspects of the system- like to what degree each attribute affects their derived statistics, how frequent and difficult those checks are, how dexterity aligned weapons compare to strength weapons, and so on. Would you elaborate on his position?

More than a DEX/STR dichotomy affecting character building, I am interested in how tying CON, a physical stat that in most game systems is considered too valuable to dump, to a magic point system may affect this sense of balance. Granted, I haven't read much about your magic system, nor am I aware of how you value character balance in your game. Have you done any playtesting or built any sample characters to benchmark?