DnD 3.5 - Advice on HP revamp? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

DnD 3.5 - Advice on HP revamp?

DnD 3.5 - Advice on HP revamp?

I had the idea of having 2 health pools for my upcoming 3.5 game. It came in origin from a comment i once saw on a forum i can't quite remember. I would also want to note that no combo will be illegal in the game. I am introducing it because i think it will be fun.

The first is normal HP, added to by Con, class HD, etc. The normal stuff. Used to absorb direct damage, yadda, yadda.

The second is Magic Points(MP), added to by Cha, and class Magic Dice(MD). The wanky thing. It is used to absorb Magical Weapon Damage, and Force effects.

I have devised a series of caveats that are general rulings. I am eager to see if they're any good. I'd like to hear if you have any experience with anything like this, and if i should add it at all.

1. HD-MD dichtonomy. Fighters get 1d10 HD, wizards get 1d4. Fighters get 1d4 MD, wizarss get 1d10. Seeing my point? Classes that have some affinity to magic get higher MD, but lower HD, and the other way around.

2. Polymorph spells grant MP equal to the HP of the creature, not HP. This is to avoid overpowering polymorph beyond comprehendsion.

3. Magic=/=Enchancement bonus. An Enchancement Bonus on weapons or armor might not be magical, but simply from the mastery of a crafter. Masterwork equipment doesn't exist.

4. Magic weapons deal MP damage.

5. Force effects and spells now deal damage to MP.

6. Elemental effects and spells damage HP.

7. Master Weapons gain Enchancement Bonuses like Magic Weapons but witout the magic, simply from the crafter's skill.

8. Weapons can't be both Magic and Master.

I want to see your thoughts about his one. I mainly want to see it it will make the Caster/Fighter disparsity any different.

If I am understanding this right...

Casters just got even more powerful. With spells they can negate most threats that would attack HP and with their superior MD they're better at dealing with each other. Meanwhile, Fighters (who already were lacking) can now be dropped by Magic Missile.

I'd suggest it is a *lot* more trouble than it is worth to work through the permutations.

DnD's underlying abstraction would make it a nightmare in play. Even Earthdawn (which has separate physical and magical armour reduction) uses a single pool of hit points.