Ask a Question Get an Answer! - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Simple Ask a Question get an Answer thread. This could be anything rules related, from a sourcebook, interpretation, how to questions. It can be requests or anything in depth. I will try to keep this updated with questions and answers on the OP as it stream through, and eventually the possibility of putting this info up on the Wiki as a FAQ.
Soo Have at it!

Hmm. How about this, what's everyones opinions on starting a game with a trained animal companion or a familiar already summoned? If against, is it also fair to have one wizard/druid with an ACF that replaces their familiar/companion and is active on day 1, while a second wizard/druid has to wait at least a day or at most weeks to get fully functional partner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddian
Hmm. How about this, what's everyones opinions on starting a game with a trained animal companion or a familiar already summoned? If against, is it also fair to have one wizard/druid with an ACF that replaces their familiar/companion and is active on day 1, while a second wizard/druid has to wait at least a day or at most weeks to get fully functional partner?
As a GM I generally automatically assume that the creature has been a part of the characters training to become that first class level. I basically use the rule that if your character is becoming part of an adventuring party then they have done everything to prepare for the adventure. So Druids have trained their companions, wizards and sorcerers have gotten familiars, or enhanced ones if they have a feat. This also means that I allow my players to 'craft' their own items at the start of the game. When buying equipment they are allowed to pay only the cost of the materials for an item they could craft. I let them do this without making craft checks.
Most DMs I've played with allow all of this as it doesn't inherently unbalance the game.

If I'm not mistaken, assuming the latest version, you can do that by using View->Coordinates.
That would show the coordinates, if you want the Grid you'll need to also press View->Grid.

These do not get embedded into the map, but all map share that feature.
Also, unfortunately, for some arcane reason, there are no letters in the coordinates, only numbers.

Ok hopefully i am posting this in the right place. Also i hope most people will not think im too crazy, but i just accepted an offer to Dm a group of somewhere between 10-15 players. So far i havent meet anyone yet but from what i have been told from my contact, most of them are experienced players for dnd 4e. My problem is coming up with a starting idea. I have two ideas, but cannot seem to figure out which will be thebetter of the two to start with.

Idea 1) The group is apart of a small military outpost. Initally they are given missions from a commanding officer to do what Pc's do best. stop some bad guys.

Idea 2) The group is apart of a smallish village who are away from the town for one reason or another when the village is destroyed by one means or another and now they must work together to find out what happened.

Now after the inital missions for the respective ideas, i have a twist for the campagin that wont matter which idea i go with. Its just the inital ideas. My worry is i want to provide these guys with a memorable experience and be able to incorporate as many different classes and playing styles as i can into the game.

Moved your Question to the Adventure Folder as it seemed most appropriate:
this is more the full blown World creation discussion, your post seemed more along the lines of an adventure. If you want it moved to the campaign area I can also swap it over there.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=70630

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless warrior View Post
having it in both places couldnt hurt, if its not a problem
Generally on a forum it's best to keep it in one spot that way the discussion gets replied to only in one spot, otherwise you'll be running a split discussion. There's not a way to list the thread in multiple folders (that I know of), and all the people that read this forum will be able to go back to the same thread so keeping it down to one should be alright to avoid confusion. If you later come up with wanting help on something broader than an adventure arc or the like, feel free to open a new thread up asking for help in either the World Building discussion or the Campaign folders. Enjoy your stay

Generally I think of the progression like this
Quest - Single Task performed by the Party
Adventure - Series of Multiple Quests that explains a story
Campaign - Multiple Adventures that Depict multiple Stories, includes traveling to lots of cities and such (think of a CRPG like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights)
World Building - Contains locations, planes, people, campaigns, history - Think of Forgotten Realms or Eberron. This is the Setting for campaigns.

Question...I know the World of Farland is the official game of MW and has been well thought and fleshed out, but my question is...Are we allowed to, if people are interested, come up with a game using new concepts and mechanics, deep with a rich story and put it together. I know it takes alot of resources, alot of great ideas and alot of money to compete with other publishers, but I always wanted to be apart of a project where all we talk about is building a new game or one with similar aspects. I'm not the most knowledgable guy but I've been around a few rpgs and love the idea of starting a whole new concept. Look at Mind Storm Labs and Palladium, along with FFG and Chaosium. Could we use these workshops to post these ideas if I could find a few able people