Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 109 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Does anybody here use Anydice? Do you know how to set a minimum on a roll? I'm trying to get average damage with damage reduction and the negative numbers are skewing it.

I am new to the PBP platform. My experience stems from live sessions, in person or over roll20. In my experience, anymore than 4-5 players at the table slows the game down and becomes prone to distractions/arguments/etc. Does this also hold true in PBP format? I am having a hard time narrowing down the players. I said 4-5 in my advertisement but there is closer to 8-10 that I would like to see played out. So, I guess my question really is: how many is too many?

That's rather subjective. Slowdown doesn't happen in quite the same way because people aren't all talking at the same time anyway, they're posting at times spread out across a long period of time. However larger numbers do naturally make things harder to manage. Different people have different opinions on where the sweet spot is, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesselia View Post
I am new to the PBP platform. My experience stems from live sessions, in person or over roll20. In my experience, anymore than 4-5 players at the table slows the game down and becomes prone to distractions/arguments/etc. Does this also hold true in PBP format? I am having a hard time narrowing down the players. I said 4-5 in my advertisement but there is closer to 8-10 that I would like to see played out. So, I guess my question really is: how many is too many?
It depends on the a few factors:
  • What kind of game are you running? Do you want a taut, fast-paced thriller that keeps you players wondering "What's next?!", keeping them on the edge of their seats? Then fewer players is better. If you want them to take time to explore, investigate mysteries, make allies, and learn in-depth information about the world? Then any number of players is good, but this kind of game supports a larger party.
  • What kind of pace do you want to set? More players mean more time between GM posts, which can really slow a game down.
  • How willing are you to say, "Times up. You don't get to post this round!"? In order to keep your game's momentum, you will have to do this more often when you have more players. It may, however, create more work for you if you have to retcon player's actions, or NPC their character while they're away.

Personally, I think six is the perfect starting number in a PbP game. It's a little large and unwieldy, but if a player (or two) disappears on you, it's not the end of the world, and the game can continue without having to split your time worrying about recruiting replacements.

For those that run Savage Worlds, do you you handle the poker deck initiative? Do you just keep a deck with you at all times? I am new here, so I would not be surprised if there was some site feature that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohwear View Post
For those that run Savage Worlds, do you you handle the poker deck initiative? Do you just keep a deck with you at all times? I am new here, so I would not be surprised if there was some site feature that helps.
i know nothing of savage worlds but....

I once saw a card game played on the weave. Count up your cards and assign them a number. Roll a dice with that number. If you discard cards adjust numbers and dice size as needed. You can post the cards-to-numbers for transparency

What am I doing wrong?

I am a noob at this playbypost stuff and when trying to figure out the dice roller I think I am doing things wrong. Here's my code.

[QUOTE][sheetdice=w1s]0 0 1d6[/sheetdice][/QUOTE]

The result is this
Quote:
Dice Roll: 1d20+0 1d6
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 5)
d Results:
d6 Results: 6
The sheet has a value of 3 in the weapon 1 slot but it's not pulling it into the post. Is the "0" overriding the weapons modifiers? Can anyone help?

Note:

Sheetdice and sheetroll require an attached sheet. As such, any such tags outside of a game forum (or in a game forum without a sheet attached to it) won't work.

(They also seem to have caused an issue when used previously in this thread - until this is investigated by Rodrigo, please don't use any actual sheetdice / sheetroll tags in this thread.)

Quote:
{sheetdice=w1s}0 0 1d6{/sheetdice}

Dice Roll: 1d20+0 1d6
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 5)
d Results:
d6 Results: 6

The sheet has a value of 3 in the weapon 1 slot but it's not pulling it into the post. Is the "0" overriding the weapons modifiers?
Sheetdice / sheetrolls only work in game forums and with a sheet attached to the game - and not with all game systems.

Where did you try the sheetdice ? And with what kind of sheet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Note:

Sheetdice and sheetroll require an attached sheet. As such, any such tags outside of a game forum (or in a game forum without a sheet attached to it) won't work.

(They also seem to have caused an issue when used previously in this thread - until this is investigated by Rodrigo, please don't use any actual sheetdice / sheetroll tags in this thread.)
Sorry!

Quote:
Sheetdice / sheetrolls only work in game forums and with a sheet attached to the game - and not with all game systems.

Where did you try the sheetdice ? And with what kind of sheet ?
I used it in my game forum with 2 attached sheets. DnD 5e.

1. What is game exchange?

2. What is it called when a GM trades roles with a player in the game? When is it advisable? How frquently should it come about?