Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Well, of course that's my experience, and I admit I was always blessed with great players that knew the rules and had plenty of time available to post... But with a little effort and dedication from everyone, I don't think combats take that long to finish. Also, one thing to consider, especially if you're planning on an entirely homebrew campaign, is to have the minimum amount of combat encounters possible (only the really important ones), and just give out more EXP to compensate.

On that note, I'm in a campaign that has covered 2.5 years of game time in roughly the same time of real time. We've had seven combats total.

In the campaign I run the game has run for over a year and has had two, plus it's only covered about a week of actual game play, and this isn't because the game runs slow on posting, some of the players post several times a day, it's just that everything matters in the game, even the inflection of how the characters speak to each other.

I think giving out lots of combat is bad for a story because it encourages hack and slash play that is more about equipment lists and stats than about a plot with interesting and believable characters (obviously a preference), plus, combat is dangerous! Who wants to provoke a fight if it means taking a sword to the chest? Not I. Obviously that has a lot to do with how cinematic the setting is, but also I feel combat is bad for PbP because it takes so damn long.

If people want some quick hack and slash action I recommend shelling out 15 bux a month for warhammer online as it gives you shiney animations to boot that you don't get on MW. This place is more naturally conducive to that which you cannot do with a video game: Tell a story without a linear plot.

Video games may have bright graphics and all the hack and slash tits and explosions you can handle, but MW has the distinct advantage of not being frozen in time so that the story can evolve, this is something you can't do with an MMO. EVE online made a valiant effort, but even then it paled in comparison to the possibilities of MW which allows that the sky is the limit.

D&D 3.5 online

i have a few friends who want to play a game of D&D online through something like vent. but we are having a bit of a problem figuring out how to do this. i mean we can easily get that part set up but the maps and movement and such would be confusing. are there any programs to use? download or anything? (btw i am also new to these forums)

If you're trying to play online at the same time you probably want to grab some virtual tabletop software, there are a few out there, some free, some not so free. Two options off the top of my head would be OpenRPG and Fantasy Grounds. You might want to start a new thread to discuss what's out there; assuming there isn't such a thread...

Voice over IP is also a good idea to speed things up - but it sounds like you have that covered.

You could also check out Maptool at RPtools.net. That's my personal preference, though Arella's suggestions are all perfectly functional as well. Whoever is going to DM should download a few, fiddle around with them, and see which one s/he likes.

OpenRPG's probably simpler to get going, but some people get scared by the look of it. My group and I used to use OpenRPG, but we switched to MapTool. It's shinier, got some more advanced stuff - personally, I'd start with OpenRPG, run a few sessions with that. If you're happy with it, and keep going, give MapTool a try. You may find the extra bells and whistles unnecessary, or they may be decided to be awesome.

If anybody could give me some ideas I have a campaign on MW and the players could potentially get separated in a fog. If I want each player individually to be unaware of what happens to the others what would be a good alternative to posting what players see/do in the common game thread?

Use private text. If you were a player in said situation and I were the DM, I could type something like this.

[private=Marky B]In the thick fog, you quickly lose track of the others. Before you can react, a ninja flips out and totally kills you. Roll a new character.[/private]

Without the noparse tags, that results in the following, which no one but the player in the private tag, and any readers of your game can see:

If you want to have them split into groups instead of individuals, you can do
[private=Marky B; Other Player; Yet Another Player]STUFF![/private]
to the obvious effect.

Newbie question: what is the notable difference between these two game systems: Miscellaneous and Freeform?

Judging by the names, I imagined these to have customised / custom-made rules and worlds, but I'm having trouble to understand what put these two apart.

Miscellaneous is not a system: it's just a tag for systems that do not fit in any other category. Freeform, on the other hand, refers to the lack of a system; role-playing done by pure writing, with no mechanics or dice rolls involved.