Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

I've got an urban campaign setting that I built for use in DnD, but I'm finding the setting is outgrowing the system.
I like running a more RP sort of game, and DnD has too much of a dungeon-delving feel. There are a lot of resources available, but they mostly seem to worry about hack-and-slash stuff.
I'm toying with the idea of switching the system to GURPS. It'd be a lot of work, but I'd do it in the summer when I get some free time, and I'd probably want to finish switching all my resources before I switch the players over.
Does anyone here have tips on this sort of thing? Any suggested systems to switch to, or temporary solutions to add to DnD to make it feel less bam-bam?

A question on regeneration in D&D 3.5 .If the party knocks a regeneraiting monster unconcious by stacking up 'normal' damage untill it exceeds the monsters hitpoints+10, would a tiny bit of fire damage (if fire is something that bypasses the regeneration) kill it immediately? Or would it just reduce his true hitpoints by that tiny bit, say 4, while the monster is now simply unconcious with hitpoints+14 worth of non-lethal damage? In that case, using other damage only serves to knock the creature out, so you have an easier time piling up fire damage untill that damage exceeds its maximum hitpoints+10. If I read the rules, I get the impression that it should be the latter, but that seems a bit too difficult to do, making regeneration far superior to fast healing. Plus, I'm pretty sure neverwinter nights used the former rule.

The creature in question would still be alive, yet unconscious, with the aforementioned 4 damage to its hp, and with nonlethal damage equal to hitpoints + 14

Huh, so even a CR5 troll is completely unkillable if no-one has a flaming weapon, and the wizard's total of prepared fire/acid spells and alchemical acid/fire flasks can't deal a total of 63 damage? Unless the rest of the party volunteers to keep attacking the troll while it's unconscious in shifts for 8 hours while the wizard prepares new spells.

Not really - there are plenty of mundane methods of creating flame. One guy bashes it in the head repeatedly while another lights a fire with a good old flint and steel. Drag the (unconscious) troll headfirst into the fire, and viola, dead troll.

Sure, mundane fire only does 1d6 damage a round, but it would still only take a couple minutes.

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun of the Dead
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.
Coup de grace with an acid splash, for the win. Proof that cantrips aren't useless in combat!

"As you finish the combined words and gestures of power, you quickly kneel and thrust your finger through the troll's eyeball and into the cranial cavity, where you unleash the small orb of acid you've just conjured. You rise to your feet and glance at your companions, trying to sling the eye-goo off of your finger; it smells like a midden heap combined with wet dog and burned hair. Your friends seem somewhat queasy, and the elf vomits... on the dwarf."

Sorry, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.
No spells.

I doubt it, at least not following RAW, since it's a melee armed attack, but not a melee weapon.

Though I think most DMs would allow a coup de grace with a melee touch spell, or with an Acid Splash to the inside of the head. I would.