Leaving abroad - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Leaving abroad

Leaving abroad

hi there
came across an article about my generation of people leaving abroad here but i've got no friends or acquaintances who've ever done so, and few really thought about it. now i'm so fed up with the life i'm having now that i'm thinking of leaving though i'm not sure it's really worth it. so i don't wan't to try it in vain. especially if it has certain risks. does anybody have an experience of the kind or knows some stories? thanks

I've lived in Europe for a number of years and looked at emigrating to a number of places. To better help you I would like to ask a few questions.

0) where do you want to live?
1) what is your education level, and in what field(s)?
2) what languages do you speak?
3) what is your general work experience?

The easiest way is to get a corporation to pay for your way into another country. Working abroad first can give you experience in a country and you can better decide if you want to be there long term with out a huge commitment. Once in the country you can start the immigration process and showing that you already contribute economically is a big help.

Having a background in the jobs that a prospective country is looking for can improve your chances of getting in. These are typically engineering and science backgrounds, but also certain trades are in high demand.

Finding a sponsor who is already a citizen is usually really important, depending on destination. this can be a company or a private individual. marrying someone who is a citizen can also make things easier, though that usually follows living there for a while. I don't recommend meeting someone online and then trying to marry them to emigrate; it's just a bad idea.

Are you willing to integrate into the culture? No matter how similar a culture may seem from the outside, there are always differences and you will feel alienated for a very long time, and you may never pass as a native. It can be surprising how strong you can be affected by that sense of alienation.

There are a lot of considerations when moving to a new country, but the experience can be very rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusXY View Post
You might also consider some kind of college or exchange program as a means of entry.
yeah, i've been researching the opportunities along with some volunteering programmes for starters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
I've lived in Europe for a number of years and looked at emigrating to a number of places. To better help you I would like to ask a few questions.

0) where do you want to live?
1) what is your education level, and in what field(s)?
2) what languages do you speak?
3) what is your general work experience?
0) i'm thinking about something warm and near the water (like Australia or NZ)
1) master's degree in linguistics (so science is not for me)
2) english, german and a bit of spanish
3) it's mostly about social media marketing and random translations

my current employer will not give me an opportunity to work abroad, so i guess it's high time to look for some jobs there. is it feasible?
as for integrating in the culture i guess it's one of the top reasons why i want to leave. it's self exploration and totally new experience for me, so i'd love to try it for sure. what i'm worried about most is the paper stuff. but i guess people do something with that

Penchant, where have you lived?

I have lived in Germany as a student, specifically Nürnberg in Bavaria. I was able to do the hippie backpacking/hostel thing for a bit before my visa ran out and had to return to the US. I also lived in Holland as a small child. But most of what I know about immigration is from my relatives who are spread about quite a bit.

Perhaps you can try Japan. It is quite common for people to get jobs there teaching English and there are several programs for doing so. Australia is a relatively close destination from there so you can at least vacation there and make contacts.

You might also look at Belize in Central America. It is warm and near the water and is a native English speaking country. You could parley your skills into the vacation industry there. I can also recommend Costa Rica, though you will flex your Spanish skills there. I have family that loves in Jaco, a little tourist town on the pacific coast that is just beautiful. Property is expensive in both places but everything else is reasonable.

South Africa is the only country where German will serve you well that is also warm, but perhaps you might look at opportunities there

Most countries do not support open immigration. They are particular about who they allow in and you essentially have to prove to them that they need you.

Other ideas: join the Peace Corps. I have a cousin who made it a career and has lived in many countries, most neither warm nor glamorous.

Get a degree in hospitality and hotel management and focus on companies in travel destinations.

thanks so much for the advice. i'll reasearch each opportunity for sure, they are all quite fascinating. mb i should start from hippie backpacking actually