Jory's Application

Application Questions
1) What experience do you have with Questlandia, 5E, and play-by-post format?
I have no experience with questlandia, but am an experienced world builder and a fairly quick learner. I've been playing 5e for a while now, in real life mostly, but also on myth weavers for the past several months. I have a moderately fluent understanding of how play by post works at this point, though there are still some subtleties of vb code that elude me.
2) What is your posting schedule like? (e.g. daily, not on weekends, etc)
I can generally post daily, and can often post multiple times a day if needed.
3) What are you hoping to get out of this game? (expectations, wants, etc)
I love the idea of getting to be a player in a world I helped to build. This feels like it combines some of my favorite parts of being a DM with all the fun of being a player. I've seen people play some collaborative world building games on forums and it has always been something I wanted to try my hand at. My hope and belief also is that if players build the world together, they are more likely to remain invested in the game, with less chance of dropouts, and a generally longer campaign life.
4) Rate the following elements on a scale of 1-4 (1 being least important, 4 crucial):
- Storytelling - 4 - I love storytelling. I do a lot of improv comedy, and it really scratches a collaborative storytelling itch I have. But for more dramatic forms of collaborative storytelling, there's nothing better than D&D.

- Social interactions - 2 - Having fun interactions with random npc bartenders is great, but I most enjoy social interactions when there are some stakes involved, and the interaction serves the story or character development in some meaningful way. This doesn't mean all interactions should perfectly tie together, and take all of this with a grain of salt I suppose because I've yet to play in a D&D game I haven't enjoyed, but my favorite interactions are those that come back in some way. The man you drunkenly insulted is a guardsman of the city watch, and now you have to watch your back around the law. You cheer up some crying child, and months later when you're back in town and needing a place to lie low, the child's father lets you sleep out back in the shed if you promise to be gone by morning. These little connections are very satisfying to me.

- Tactics/combat, - 3 - Combat is fun. I like stabbing things as much as the next guy. When the party is in combat with villains or the servants of villains that have a direct impact on the story, it becomes much more high stakes and much more exciting. All combat is fun, and random encounters are great, but combat that serves the story is the best of all.

- Character development/leveling - 4 - I love to watch my character and my character's companions grow. This can be done through leveling, or emotional development. Good guys becoming bad guys. bad guys seeing the light of good. Growth and change is a very exciting thing to play out in a character and it's one of my favorite things about rpgs.

5) For part 2, what kind of character are you thinking of creating?
The actual character I would make would depend on the world we build, but a 5E character I've been waiting for the chance to make would be a charismatic backwoods gangster. I'd like to play with the idea that being charismatic and persuasive doesn't always mean you have to be polished and refined. This guy would be a rural, plain-speaking, aw shucks kinda guy, who wins people over because, "Y'all can trust me. I don't talk pretty and I don't talk fancy. I just say what I feel." But really he uses his folksy mannerisms to worm his way out of trouble that he may justifiably deserve. I'm thinking right now of a half-elf with some mix of sorcerer and rogue, (not sure what subclasses) with the criminal background. A moonshiner who developed innate magical powers.

6) Submit an idea for a kingdom feature

My sample feature:
color hierarchy.
The city of Duvall has a strict dress code in place for all citizens and visitors. Only guardsmen can wear black or green, only merchant families can wear blue or purple, and only guild artisans can wear yellow or gold clothes. Red is the color of royalty, and no non-royal may dress in it under penalty of death. Royals may also dress in more lowborn colors, but it is somewhat undignified and will be remarked upon. For anyone else, wearing colors that are not your own is considered false impersonation, a jailable offense. wearing too similar of color is dangerous as well. What one farmer may think of as orange, an overzealous guardsman may call yellow and haul you off to jail. For this reason, the common folk of the city wear brown, and only brown.