Mutant Year Zero: The Dead Apple

Old Sep 5 '18, 4:35pm
Storm at the heart of the Sun

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Mutant Year Zero: The Dead Apple

MYZ: Dead Apple - Forum
Homebrew

The Dead Apple

This used to be a great city, yeah? Once upon a time. Now it’s all ruins running with kudzu like great hands trying to pull what’s left of the buildings down. But they ain’t pulled all the buildings down yet. This city still has some fight in her. They
called it the New City, leastways that’s what I heard. Who knows. So long ago now, yeah? In the middle of it all is a place we call The Zone Swamps. I been told this place used to be where people went running and ate outside. Neither sounds safe in a swamp, but maybe people back then were crazy. They did blow up the world after all.

There’s rumors that say a cult lives somewhere inside, yeah? But who’s going to go and see? I’m crazy, but I’m not
stupid. Gators out there twelve feet long if they’re a foot. No lie. I know a fella that hunts them. Well…he used to. Don’t nobody know him anymore. Among the big old buildings hulking against the night is Death Tower. This building must once
have dwarfed everything around it. Biggest thing I seen in my life. No lie. Its upper floors are collapsed and the great beast is spilling moss like she’s crying, yeah. It’s home to a gang you don’t want to tussle with. They’re called The Death Tower Boys and, after they kill you, they’ll eat your brain to absorb your power.

They ain’t the smartest people in the city, so I don’t think it works for them. Getting out of the city across all that water,
you use the Bridge, see? But the people there have themselves a toll. There’s some that say ancient machines used to carry people across the Bridge, but you know how people talk. Anyway, it’s one of the few structures that, praise to the Gods, remained largely intact. The Bridge is a thriving community of folk living that civilized way of life so many of us
done forgot. They grow their own food and barter with the outside. Don’t go thinking you’re gonna steal from them though. Bridgers have a defensive militia. I mean, look at it, it’s a bridge, yeah? There’s only two ways on. That’s pretty easy to defend. Many a group has tried, and failed, to take the bounty the Bridgers have made for themselves. Bridgers take care of each other.

Out there in the water is the Fallen Lady. She’s got all these spikes on her head. No one can tell you for sure why. Today, she lies partly in a great bay, but some bits of her can be reached. You can go inside if the people who live there let you. Call themselves Lighthouse Keepers, though I ain’t never seen a lighthouse. They’re a crazy bunch. Don’t argue too much
with them, yeah? At night, The Lady’s torch is lit by large fires to warn oncoming ships that they are about to enter an area where ruined buildings could rip their hulls and sink them like stones. There’s salvagers that’ll hope that very thing happens.

Not for nothing, but Walled Island is the most fortified place in the city. Walled Island is out in the water, some say it always was. Pirates are there. Powerful ones that’ll cut your head off for a scrap of copper. Descended from nasty pieces of work and ruled by a crazy man called “Calico Jack,” this small city is one place you need to stay away from. No lie.

That’s the main sites. I mean most of the place is underwater right? Had to be one hell of city back when things were good, and we weren’t killing each other for food. Those must have been some fat days indeed, yeah?

Hey Everyone,

Mutant Year Zero is a post apocalyptic survival game about an Ark of Super powered Mutants who are forced to suddenly start exploring the world around them while fighting for control of the Ark at home. Players will help decide where in the Ark is located, what form it takes, who are the major players, and what resources the Ark has at its disposal. Given that players will find their characters rely on the Ark it means they’ll get caught up in the defense and politics of the Ark.

Mutant: Year Zero ensures this by insisting that relationships are mapped out at character generation both to each other and the members of the Ark. PCs are created not just with relationships to other PCs but one hate and one protect relationship with NPCs.

The Game focuses on the search for Eden (A lost city of wonder) and on exploration of the Zone around the ark, with plenty of dangers, adversaries, and allies to be found.

In addition, with the add on of other books, Mutant Animals have been added. Anthropomorphize animals who have become sentient as a result of human experimentation who also exist in the zone. These will be playable characters, a small spliter group who has joined the ark and much like above will represent a small faction within their number.

Applications

Applicants should submit a character sheet including a brief background and a random roll for mutation using a d66 if a mutant or choosing their animal powers if they are a mutant animal. I have a strong preference towards mutants over mutant animals as they currently represent a small minority of the Ark's population.

Also keep in mind that you will be generating NPCs with the NPCs you hate and love, feel free to be creative in your invention of these other inhabitants of the Ark.

Character Creation Deadline will be the 17th.

Posting Rate

I am looking for about 5 posts a week, with no expectations on posting on the weekends (I am unavailable).

The Ark

The details of the Ark will be decided by the successful applicants, but if you have good ideas please feel free to through them in the OOC chat to help gel ideas about where the Ark should be located on the map and what form it can take.

Game Description:

Of course the world ends. It happens quickly, faster than anyone could predict. The Red Plague hits a world already on the brink of collapse. Extreme climate change, global economic crisis, increasing conflict between old and new superpowers. When the pandemic comes, the last thin veneer of stability crumbles. One billion people die in the first year. Utter panic reigns supreme, solidarity between nations is non-existent. Wars break out over the last, dwindling resources of the world. Mushroom clouds rise from east to west. Everyone tries to save themselves.

For most of the worldís inhabitants, there is no way out. Once itís all over, Earth is still. Nature invades ruined cities. Winds sweep through empty streets turned into graveyards. Time gnaws the windows off skyscrapers, panes falling to the ground in a slow rain of glass. Yet life remains. Slivers of humanity survive the Apocalypse. In the Ark, a small settlement at the edge of a dead city, the People live.

You are the spawn of humanity, but not quite human. You are twisted fun house images, mutated freaks. Your bodies and minds have incredible powers, but you are unstable. Fragile. None of the People are over 30 years old. Except the Elder. Your leader, but not like you. One of the Ancients. For decades he has warned you: be on your guard, donít leave the Ark. Stay here, or the Rot will get you. Or something even worse.

So far, you have obeyed his commands. Lived off rations from the Old Age. Chased off every stranger who came close to the Ark. Few dared to go out into the Zone. That is what the Elder calls the outside world. But the safe days are over. Food is running scarce, and the fight for whatís left is turning violent. You starve. Factions are forming, bosses on top and slaves at the bottom. In the middle, fixers who try to turn a profit from anyone and everyone. And the Elder canít stand up on his own any more. They say he canít even take a piss without help. Youíre on your own now.

Itís time to venture out. To explore the Zone, to search for artifacts and knowledge. Build, grow the land, seek out others, create a new civilization on the ruins of the old one. Seek your origin. No children are born to the People Ė if you do nothing, you will perish. Maybe, one day, you will find the Eden of legend, the Ancientsí haven from the encroaching hell-scape. Thatís where salvation and truth await, the stories say. Maybe itís all fairy tales. It doesn't matter. You have no choice. This is the beginning.

Last edited by Bluedevil; Sep 5 '18 at 4:36pm..
Wow, finally! I have been looking for a Mutant Zero game for awhile. I am a big after the bomb/plague/rogue comet games. Got the main book and have been eagerly waiting to try it out. Expect a post by the weekend .

I'm decidedly overloaded with games right now, but I may have to make room for this one. I'd really love to give this system a test run.

Take your time you have until the 17th.

I have already run a London game to completion myself and nearly posted for one of their sequel games, but really wanted to give this one another go.

Super interested. Will try to get a character in by the due date.