Notices

Elesar Online: New World

Old Nov 19 '18, 5:41am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Elesar Online: New World

Elesar Online: New World - Forum
Pathfinder

SummaryThis is an isekai game about players waking up as their characters one day shortly after the launch of the newest expansion to the popular MMO Elesar Online. The expansion was meant to be one focused on exploration and players settling a newfound continent. The game still has all the trappings of a game, including dungeons, raids, a crafting system, HUD, and respawning. The game world is highly inspired by Log Horizon, so it carries many of the same elements.

Character BuildingMore detailed rules can be found here, but the short version is this is starting at level 5 gestalt, using both (Paizo first party) Pathfinder material and the Final Fantasy d20 conversion. This does include the more modern and exotic weapon choices (gunblades, buster swords etc), but not some of the modern tech items like smartphones. The base tech level is at steampunk, but player innovation can certainly push that further.

PlayersThe goal is for this to be a player-driven world. I'm not setting a set number of players I'm taking, because I will more or less take anyone who is interested and makes a character. (Yes, I'm that kind of crazy. I do better at running larger games than small ones). What will the game be like? Well, if you as a player are wanting to do dungeon crawls or raid bosses, that's what you can do. If you want to be a merchant lord, that's also an option. People are welcome to form their own parties, or be grouped together as needed.

On my end, I'm not promising to get more than three to four posts per sub-group per week, but should be able to get up to one per day per group at times. If you post that fast, great. If not, also great. Your story in the game will progress at whatever pace works for you.

ApplicationThe character creation thread details the information you need. Essentially it is mechanics of the character and backstory of the player. The application period is open until December 1, though this is a soft deadline. Once a decent number of people are done with their characters, some RP will be set up and the game will get rolling.

Game Description:

Elesar Online is a successful MMORPG made by NovaGame Studios. The promise was an open world game where the players could actively shape and build the world around them, and it delivered. The first major expansion was the War in Heaven, a high-level story about various planar forces trying to take over Elesar to use the resources on the world and a powerful artifact to reshape the cosmos. Elesar Online: New World is the second expansion, is about the existing factions scrambling to settle and exploit a new continent that appeared out of nowhere. Whereas the first expansion was centered on high-level combat, New World was meant to be started with a fresh character; the idea being the most powerful characters are needed to continue fighting the War in Heaven, and these lower level ones could contribute by sending resources, claiming territory, allying monsters, and uncovering new technologies and magics that might be hidden on the continent.

The campaign started with players washing up on the coast next to Beacon, captured by pirates and slavers. The story continued with staging a slave rebellion, ultimately ending in the first raid of the game, Captain Rusty of Shank-Town. It took about two weeks of gameplay for the community to unlock the raid, and another week after that to actually clear it. If everything worked correctly, killing the final boss would've liberated the city of Beacon to be used as a neutral hub for further exploration and the rest of the expansion. Instead, there was a game-crashing bug at the end of the final fight. NovaGame issued a statement as soon as the first reports came in that the raid was impossible to actually finish saying they would have a patch within 24 hours. Players accepted it, and went to sleep.

The next morning, they woke up as their characters in Beacon, the last thing they remember the game crashing and vague memories of Captain Rusty escaping. Now there is an entire continent open, and only the players' goals and mindsets to govern them.

I’m sure many others have been similarly impressed, but I just want to post here to say that I, as a lover of worldbuilding and role play over powergaming (although it’s clear that’s an option for those interested here), really found reading this setting description interesting and compelling, which is something that rarely happens for me. Well done and thanks, and you’ll get an app from me soon!

I'm in, and I have a handful of character ideas I want to run. I would love to make any number of them, but would rather talk it over through PM. I'll send you a few options if you would be willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spade View Post
I'm in, and I have a handful of character ideas I want to run. I would love to make any number of them, but would rather talk it over through PM. I'll send you a few options if you would be willing.
That would be fine. If you are on the MW Discord, you can get ahold of me there as well; I'd probably be quicker to respond that way.