Ten factions, one city: which side are you on? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Ten factions, one city: which side are you on?

Old Dec 2 '18, 7:52pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Ten factions, one city: which side are you on?

In the City of Blinding Lights - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Seriously, what is it that people find so fascinating about the idea of an entire world consisting of one huge city, that encompasses entire environments? Isaac Asimov entertained the idea in multiple books, there is of course Coruscant in the Star Wars series and then, in the acclaimed collectible card game Magic: The Gathering, there is Ravnica. As it happens, the story of MtG takes place on multiple different planes of existence, and when new cards are released they're organized into sets, each based on a specific plane seen in the story. To this day, Ravnica is the plane with the second greatest amount of sets based in it, so that alone should be a testament to its popularity... And well, such a huge popularity of Ravnica among MtG fans is the reason why we're here today.

Because you see, the company that makes MtG is the same one that makes D&D and so, in order to celebrate Ravnica and its popularity, they decided to release a spin-off book called The Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, which allows us D&D players to convert every single aspect of the life on the plane into 5e rules, and play a campaign in it.
And I'll be honest, that book is... By God. Even without knowing the first thing about MtG or Ravnica, that book is one of the coolest things ever released fot D&D, the sheer amount of juicy details it provides, the options it offers to players, the flavor it gives to the setting and to any campaign that takes place in it: the only other 5e book I can remember being so enthusiastic about is XGE.

So of course I felt the need of running a campaign in it and thus, after a topic in the brainstorming section made me realize that there was a lot of interest in Ravnica building around the forum, this game saw the light. To make a long story short, Ravnica is an immense city that is governed by ten guilds, and these ten guilds act like siblings: you know how siblings are part of the same family and ultimately care for one another, and yet for some reason not a single day goes by without them fighting and bickering over something petty? Yeah, that's life on Ravnica in a nutshell: all ten guilds believe in the necessity of making the city the best place it ould be for its inhabitants, but each believes in very different methods of accomplishing that, and so they end up clashing with one another all the time. Strenuously, in some cases.
Your characters, being only level 3, are still pretty new to all this: it wasn't long ago when their respective guilds scouted them, and so now they need to work hard in order to make a name for themselves in their factions of choice. Circumstances will arise that will force them to set aside their differences and work together, despite the clashing ideologies of the guilds they each belong to.

The character creation rules are here.
The prompt as to how your characters will get to meet each other and work together, despite being from different guilds, is here.
The most important things you need to know in order to create an effective character that fits the setting can be found here.
A bunch of useful topics that will help you figure out a number of things can be found here.
Some of those post might prove to be very long reads, but I strongly recommend you read them nonetheless, ESPECIALLY if you know nothing about MtG and/or Ravnica. I put a lot of effort in providing you literally all the info you might require, to the point that you don't even need to actually own the GGR in order to play in this (but I still recommend you get it, it's that good).

I'm looking for a party of 4 (FOUR) people, and I'll be careful to have them be in the traditional roles of tank/BSF, skirmisher/skill monkey, arcane caster, and healer. Ideally, each party member should be from a different guild.
Application process will last for two or three weeks, depending on how many quality apps I get and how long it takes to get them.

So what are you waiting for? Choose your guild and join the fray!

Game Description:

5e. The plane of Ravnica. U2 references. What more do you want?

I was diagnosed with a condition to my lungs. I was told it is in no way serious, but I'm a pessimist by nature: people in my games, if at any point I go 72 hours or more without showing up on this forum, assume the worst has happened.
Love MTG and 5e would be very interested in taking part.

Would you be happy to consider an application from a new to PBP player?

I consider all apps regardless of previous experience

Lovely will read through your materials and put together a character

Some of the setting-specific stuff is... Kinda weird. For example: normally a Trickster-type Warlock would go Archfey to get powers of screwing with people, but here that archetype seems to be limited to Rakdos, and thus the Fiend patron (which grants powers of inflicting damage on people). Am I reading that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Some of the setting-specific stuff is... Kinda weird. For example: normally a Trickster-type Warlock would go Archfey to get powers of screwing with people, but here that archetype seems to be limited to Rakdos, and thus the Fiend patron (which grants powers of inflicting damage on people). Am I reading that right?
No, you're not. Archfey patron is a perfect fit for the guild of Selesnya, given that their leader, Trostani, IS an Archfey: in the same vein, Fiend patron is a perfect fit for the guild of Rakdos because their eponymous leader is a demon, and thus a Fiend. Similar considerations can be made about other guilds and other classes/subclasses: Golgari and Dimir both have a long history of accepting assassination jobs, so a Rogue with the Assassin archetype would make most sense as a member of those guild, while Azorius' gimmick of being all about the law is right up the alley of a LG paladin... But the key words here are "would make most sense": a barbarian WOULD MAKE MOST SENSE as a member of the Gruul, but that doesn't mean that you MUST belong to the Gruul in order to play a barbarian.

All these flavor considerations I've been making, in other words, are jut that: considerations made in order to help you flesh out the flavor of your character. But conforming to them is not mandatory: granted, some choices might be harder to justify than others, but in general nothing forbids playing whatever class/subclass you want in whatever guild you want.

Your goals and your methods must align with those of your guild: as long as you can guarantee that, you're good to go. Realistically, if you wholeheartedly embrace the tenets of the Dimir and are good at your job, it's only natural that Lazav would allow you to stay even though you're a Berserker Barbarian. Explaining how, exactly, a Berserker Barbarian could actually manage to be good in the Dimir line of work is another story entirely, but I trust the creativity of my would-be players.

So in short, the words "that class is limited to" don't exist in this game. Play what you want, with the caveat that, if it makes no sense, it will be up to you to rationalize it somehow. But as long as you can make it work, it's ok.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll see if I can put something together that makes sense for the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2256 View Post
If your still looking for 1 more, I would love to roll up and get in
I'm not looking for anything: during the application process people post their characters and then, at the end of the process, I'll select the four lucky ones who'll make up the party. Considering that the application process started only a few days ago, and that it's gonna continue for over two weeks, if you wanna throw your name in the hat I'd say you have plenty of time.

Update: we have a million apps for the divine caster spot. So if you're planning to apply for this, it probably would be wiser to go for arcane caster (so far that spot is seeing mostly gish apps, with literally one app for a traditional caster), big stupid fighter (we have a couple barbarians, some paladins that are mostly incomplete, and no fighters), or skill monkey (this might be difficult because, while we have only two apps for the spot, one in particular I'm a big fan of).