Notices

The Earl Needs Your Help!

Old Dec 7 '18, 1:11am
First Prime of Anubis

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The Earl Needs Your Help!

A Shadow at Grimmskeep Hold - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Strange things are afoot in the lands surrounding the village of Grimmskeep. You and your companions have been sent by his Lordship, the Earl Faevrun, to explore and deal with what you find there. The Earl's heir, the Lady Rowenna, is missing, and there are strange rumors surrounding her disappearance. You have been entrusted by the Earl to act in his name to resolve the situation as quickly and discretely as possible.

Posting Requirements: This depends a bit on how often players can log in and review, but I would hope at least one post every other day, with weekends being optional. As a DM, I will be ready to post daily, but I know RL can interfere, especially with the holidays soon approaching.

Setting: This is a homebrewed one-shot set in a Faerunian-type world setting.

Game type: Primarily, I expect the game will focus on exploration and combat, though there will be elements of social gaming and roleplay throughout. The game will not have a dark fantasy, grim focus, though there will be some darker horror elements from time to time.

Character Creation Rules: Here

House Rules: Here

Submission Process:
  1. Create a thread with the PC name, race, and class
  2. Use this template to outline the primary elements of your character
  3. Add a link to a completed MW character sheet
  4. Add a reply to the character creation sheet that addresses the elements of the second post mentioned in the character creation rules.
  5. When you feel that your submission is complete and ready for review, post a second reply indicating it is ready.
  6. If there are any edits or comments, address them and the submission is completed.
  7. Use the OOC thread for questions about character creation.
  8. Applications that don't include all these elements will not be considered.

Selection Criteria: I will be selecting 5 PCs that I think will complement each other's strengths and roles. Priority will be given to character uniqueness, quality of development, and the responses to the supplemental questions. Enrollment will remain open until I have found these individuals.

A little about me...This will be my first time DMing a game here at the Weave. I have played several PbP games on other sites, but wanted to see what it was like here. I have been playing D&D since AD&D and 2e first came out, which dates me a bit. It is rare to find me without at least several different novels or series open on my phone; I am always reading.

Game Description:

You and your colleagues find yourselves travelling at a hurried pace toward the isolated village of Grimmskeep. Your vassal lord, Earl Faevrun, has received word that his missing heir, Lady Rowenna, might have been sighted on the roads leading toward the boundary settlement and has dispatched your band of adventurers to investigate these sightings.

Rumors and gossip fly about the Lady's disappearance. Those most intimately familiar with her are astonishingly tight-lipped about the affair and her quarters have been placed under guard, with no one being allowed admittance without the express permission of the Lord himself. Whispers suggest the rooms bear signs suggesting the practice of dark magic and infernal influences, but nothing has been substantiated.

Grimmskeep is one of the last settlements on the borders of the Forests of Altegrun. The vast seas of trees are dark and forboding, hiding any number of dangers and wonders. Dotting the landscape are vast ruins, covered and silenced by the advance of the forest and its denizens, hinting at the remains of once great kingdoms. Only the most stout-hearted enter the reaches of the forest, for it is truly wild. The folk of Grimmskeep are a hearty folk, though they rarely respond well to the presence of outsiders.

Your orders are clear: Discover what you can about the rumors regarding the sighting of Lady Rowenna and do all within your power to find and return her home.

Last edited by Tarien; Dec 7 '18 at 1:13am..
My theory is that you alienated many potential applicants the moment you mentioned wanting to know what people read, because a lot of people on the internet hate to read (heck, that's literally the sole reason why Twitter is successful).
Thankfully I'm not one of those people, and I actually find myself agreeing with your sentiment of wanting to build a writing game around people who are first of all readers. As such, I'll apply for this game as soon as I return home (currently outside and postung from phone).

I'm interested, but I have several applications in right now with long wait times. I'm hoping to hear about a couple of them before new years, and each of them is a character I'd be happy to apply with here if they do not make it into another game. However, I don't have the time or energy to fully apply right now, especially if I make it into several games and find myself strapped for time with this one. However, I am watching with interest and once I know more about the status of my other applications I may put in an application