Notices

Kallawlands Playtest Campaign

Old Sep 3 '18, 5:08am
Worm

Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Kallawlands Playtest Campaign

Kallawlands - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

I'm looking to start a simple trial game using a custom set of house rules for D&D 3.5e.

Start reading at the Character Creation and House Rules thread. There's a lot there, but hopefully we can talk through the most important bits during initial character planning. And I'm pretty flexible, as long as you're not abusing stuff.

This game starts a 1st level, and will plan to run as far as 6th level.

Game Description:

I'm constantly tinkering and experimenting with new house rules for D&D 3.5e. I've got a fairly extensive set of house rules up now that I'd like to try using in a short game. Here are the basics:

• Gestalt: You gain two classes at each level, taking the best of what each has to offer.
  • E6: The advancement ceiling for this game is 6th level; after that, you just gain bonus feats instead of more levels.
  • Prestige: Prestige classes have no prerequisites (with some limits).

The game forum has a lot of material on it, but I mostly want to focus on the three threads from the Main ThreadGroup for now. I'm not planning to delve too deeply into my custom setting at the moment, but I want to use a few of the main principles:
  1. There are no gods in this game: people worship ineffable spirits of various types.
  2. There are no other Planes: just a Material World and a Spirit World. The Spirit World comprises all the main functions of the various Planes in standard D&D settings, so this should have minimal mechanical effects.
  3. Strictly "high fantasy": no gunpowder and no clockwork machines.

The general principle of what I'm doing is that I want to support good roleplay and storytelling, and that works best when players are able to build the characters they want. So, I want to maximize my players' access to options, so they can be more free to play exactly what they want to play. But, I also don't want the game to become a minmaxers' club where everything is all about synergizing options for more power.

I'm hoping to find players who are interested in using a liberal gameplay variant like this to make characters more interesting and unique. I'm not looking for high optimization or powergamers, but I am looking for tinkerers and customizers to run a couple quick playtest adventures with a restricted set of rules (notably, I'm just asking for human PCs right now).

I miss this setting.

This iteration of the rules doesn't grab me, but if you can tolerate a level 1 game, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss out on Blue Jay's GM'ing and this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
I miss this setting.

This iteration of the rules doesn't grab me, but if you can tolerate a level 1 game, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss out on Blue Jay's GM'ing and this world.
I will echo both of these sentiments. Playing in the first run of Kallawlands was a ton of fun, and Blue Jay is still one of the best GMs I've played with

Hi! How long are you intending to keep applications open? I'm waiting to find out if I'm accepted into another game first, and can't really afford to be in two simultaneously at present.

Also, when you say "people worship spirits of ineffable types", would a spirit shaman or shugenja (elemental spirits for the latter, of course) be in/appropriate for the setting?

@SageBahamut, @Electric_Wizkrd, thanks for your kind words, guys. I'm sorry I couldn't continue that game longer than I did. Hopefully, focusing on shorter-duration games will make things easier to manage.

@Takder, you are welcome to join.

@Phechan, I always forget to check all the boxes and dot all the i's. Um... I'll keep it open for a couple weeks, at least. And if there's enough interest, I can consider taking applications even after I've filled a party.

@Blue Jay -- If you ever decide to revisit some of the old stomping grounds, know that I will never not be up for coming back to Therran's family; hands-down one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had on here.

Im always down for some homebrew, everyone i've played with inspires my own homebrew with great ideas that end up helping me rebalance my setting.

I would love to through my hat in good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykqal View Post
Im always down for some homebrew, everyone i've played with inspires my own homebrew with great ideas that end up helping me rebalance my setting.

I would love to through my hat in good sir.
Welcome. Please join in. Note that I'm not using much of my actual homebrew for this iteration of the game: I'm really just wanting to see how players will use the "E6 Gestalt Prestige" ruleset.

I love roleplaying and story-crafting with my players most of all, and I'm kind of hoping that this ruleset will be a good way to support creative freedom while retaining the general structure of 3.5 mechanics in a well-bounded, low-level package. But I'm already noticing that there are some kinks to work out and some things I don't know how to anticipate or judge, but I think we'll be able to handle any problems with minimal fuss and have a fun experience, anyway.

So, join us and have some fun!

Update

I've got a good applicant pool for this game now, so I'm not planning to consider further applicants.

However, there may be additional opportunities for casual side stories and other playtesting activities, so if you find my custom rules interesting, you're still welcome to come by and build characters and play or even run some casual stories alongside my main campaign.

Thanks to everyone who's come by so far: I've had a great time seeing and discussing everyone's character ideas, and preparing game materials. The main campaign should be starting in a few days' time, and there will hopefully be a few more activities starting sometime after that. Readers are welcome, and other tinkerers and storytellers can always come by.