Notices

Mortals Kick A__, M'kay?

Old Sep 3 '18, 6:02am
DemonBunny

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Mortals Kick A__, M'kay?

Creation's Forgotten Tales - Forum
Exalted

Lost a few players again, real life can suck sometimes, and we're looking to replenish the ranks. As ever, Mortals in Creation drive nations, trade, armies, and billions of stories annually, and one (fairly epic) story is building towards a crescendo.

The Empire of Hon has been invaded by barbarian... evil... er...
As in press-ganged, Shanghai'd, kidnapped, and blackmailed
impressed forces from beyond the eastern borders. The leader of the invaders, a man named Chang who has at least a modicum of magical power in the form of Terrestrial Circle Sorcery has captured a First Age Fortress-Manse from the Empire, and had blockaded the larger, better stocked First Age fortress of Hu Zan. Our heroes to date have broken the siege, one hero, a young woman who's name
Yes, she's Mortal, yes she's a PC, and yes, it's a magical effect and NOT her own doing.
eludes you, has managed to gather a small force from the "rebel" farmers that were besieging Hu Zan, the other hero has proven his worth as the Emperor's own assassin by killing the leadership of the camp through poison.

The battle for Hu Zan is now complete, and the assault against Shou Mai is about to start. Any character design is viable, but there are a few restrictions.

First and foremost, Mortals only dood, no x-blooded, Beastmen or Exalts of any type will be considered. Characters MUST have at least one dot in a physical combat Ability and at least one dot in Bureaucracy, Integrity, Socialize, and one social combat Ability. It is recommended characters have at least 2 dots in Resources, though this is not required.

You may apply the Archetype/Profession of your choice before or while spending bonus points, but an Archetype/Profession is required before character creation is complete. We will be using the Archetypes/Professions from Scroll of Heroes, though customization is possible within that set on discussion with me. We're also using Merits/Flaws from the Scroll of Heroes too, so that gives a pretty wide range of options available.

Mortal driven Sorcery isn't exactly common, but it IS known, well enough that the Empire of Hon has an established network of sorcerers that are used for messages and travel assistance, though rarely directly for combat. They're too valuable to put on the front lines, after all. Thaumaturgy, on the other hand, is EVERYWHERE. Most everyone has some ritual they are absolutely certain does something, and more than not actually DO. You have to buy the rituals exactly as normal, but that village shaman really has magic, so does the witch that just bound your wounds, the smith making enhanced equipment, and the farmer using rituals passed down for generations to enhance his flocks and fields actually does get a better yield for doing it.

A full set of the character creation and "house rules" are available in the sub-fora, and of course, I'm available to answer questions.

Game Description:

Looking for three to five players, in a Mortals only 2.5ish game set in a Confederation member nation created by yours truly. Characters will be built using the Scroll of Heroes, including Professions and the Merits and Flaws sections. Specifics of the modifications from 2.5E Exalted are available in the game forum itself.

Unequivocally not quite. There aren't any eunuchs in the Emperor's court, but if you were a noble or other court functionary with your own cadre of troops, loyal to you directly, that's the only alteration, a lack of alteration.

There IS a standing army, and most of the troops on the move from Hon are part of that standing army, but nobles have the right (and to a certain extent the responsibilty) to have their own, smaller, personal armies, and it is considered meet for the noblepeople to go to war to defend their nation.

That said, being a part of the military directly IS an option, but either way works well.

Alright, I see. I'll adjust towards the noble with own cadre of troops direction, I think the core dramatic idea behind the character survives quite well anyhow.

Speaking of which, would being a noble require to be stated out using Backing or Influence or simply an issue of enough Resources and fluffing those dots ?

Sonofa... I thought I posted a response to you @SunBird, argh. There isn't a REQUIREMENT, per se, to have either Backing or Influence, and both operate differently from the other in a noble.

Backing would imply that there is an organization (the FAMILY, and yes it gets the caps lock) that see YOU as the scion, or at least *a* scion that is worthy of paying more attention to. It would be written in, mechanically, as Backing: Family Name, just like any other Backing organization. The higher your Backing rank, the closer you are to being THE Scion, or possibly the actual leader. For instance, Backing 3 could be the second son of a regional daimyo's family, or it could be the head of a county-equivalent family, a less powerful family, but one you control fully.

Influence CAN be personal, or it can be familial, banking on your family's name in some way. Personal would actually be the lower values, say 1 or 2, while a noble family name can be worth 4 for a regional daimyo, and 5 for the Emperor's own family. (NOT an option). An Influence of 1 or 2 could also imply that you are just from a quieter branch of the family, or that you personally have squandered some of the trust the family put into you, and so you can't pull as much from the family's name, it still has SOME pull with people who don't know your story personally.

One thing that can actually be a boon is to take Patron, if you aren't the actual head of the Family, to represent that person. Higher ranks means that the head trusts you with, well, more. More gear, more troops, more knowledge, more EVERYTHING. Patron can be used, temporarily, to simulate Allies, Backing, Command, Contacts, Followers, Henchmen, Influence, Mentor, Library, Reputation, Resources, OR Spies. The downside, mechanically speaking, is that Patron EXPLICITLY includes aspects of the Obligation flaw, without giving you the BP the flaw normally would, and without being able to be bought off for XP. Your Patron can, at any time, ask you to do tasks, pay funds, or otherwise make your life a busy hell, and they WILL do that in response to you using their stuff.