Notices

Looking for more players for Bronwend

Old Sep 27 '18, 8:49pm
Wyrm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Looking for more players for Bronwend

The Last Days of the Kingdom of Bronwend - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

We've had some ebbing over time and the game is down to 3 players. I'd like to add a 2-3 more.

So far, goblins have assaulted a village and freed a vampire from his tomb. The party has left in search of the magical relic that kept the vampire entombed. They found the goblin village, but there were too many goblins for them to capture the relic. instead, they have a prisoner and are fleeing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Ad
What brings you to this corner at the edge of civilization?

The small, inconsequential kingdom of Bronwend sits at the end of civilization, a remote place with little to offer the world. At the remotest end of the kingdom is the small village of Carlsby, where the PCs find themselves. It's a great place to get away, if you're running from something. There's said a guide can be found in Carlsby, one who is willing to take travelers through the treacherous, monster-filled Dareke Mountains to Cornadell. Or maybe the Dwarves Fair has brought you, eager to earn money?

Bronwend would be nothing, just another petty kingdom in a remote corner at the edge of Civilized Arelas, were it not for the occasional trade fair when the dwarves of the nearby Dareke Caverns come out of their isolated halls for one week to sell their highly sought after crafts. That fair brings merchants, collectors, and wizards from all over Arelas, from the rich cities of the east and south. The years in between the fair, however, are lean and empty of visitors. Now, a trade fair has been announced in a few months time, the first in three years.

But it comes at a time when Bronwend appears to be collapsing. Kolensdarby, a milltown in the kingdom's north, has broken away following a rebellion. Kirkthorpe, the only sizable population center since Kolensdarby and a coinage town, has more crumbling buildings than it does thriving businesses. Spotswood Hall, the ancestral home of the Heeren of Spotswood, has been empty for years, rumors of dark hauntings driving away any visitors. The current king, Thorm of the House of Brom, is a young warrior but does that mean he can rule effectively? And can he, or anyone, guide Bronwend out of this slow collapse? Or will clever opportunists seize this moment to enrich themselves at the expense of the dying kingdom?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This game is being run in a homebrew gameworld I've spent decades working on. It was designed for Pathfinder, but I am planning to run it in 5th edition. I'm happy to switch back to Pathfinder is applicants prefer that. There are few game rules and context specific to my world, which can be found in the races and classes section. Additionally, I have a lot of background information on this gameworld, some of which is provided here. I'm providing this because I want a rich role-playing experience. This game is set to be an adventure, with the usual expectations, but with a lot of potential for role-playing. It will probably involve some in-world politics, so be sure that's the game you want. Reading the gameworld material and using it in your application is sure to impress me.

Races

Other races will be considered, but I prefer the standard ones.

Classes (written for Pathfinder or 5th Edition)

Other classes, including hybrids, will always be considered, so long as I have access to a description.

Religions

Full size version of the continental map – very big file

Link to Gameworld Encyclopedia

Link to Gameworld Timeline

Game Description:

What brings you to this corner at the edge of civilization?

The small, inconsequential kingdom of Bronwend sits at the end of civilization, a remote place with little to offer the world. At the remotest end of the kingdom is the small village of Carlsby, where the PCs find themselves. It's a great place to get away, if you're running from something. There's said a guide can be found in Carlsby, one who is willing to take travelers through the treacherous, monster-filled Dareke Mountains to Cornadell. Or maybe the Dwarves Fair has brought you, eager to earn money?

Bronwend would be nothing, just another petty kingdom in a remote corner at the edge of Civilized Arelas, were it not for the occasional trade fair when the dwarves of the nearby Dareke Caverns come out of their isolated halls for one week to sell their highly sought after crafts. That fair brings merchants, collectors, and wizards from all over Arelas, from the rich cities of the east and south. The years in between the fair, however, are lean and empty of visitors. Now, a trade fair has been announced in a few months time, the first in three years.

But it comes at a time when Bronwend appears to be collapsing. Kolensdarby, a milltown in the kingdom's north, has broken away following a rebellion. Kirkthorpe, the only sizable population center since Kolensdarby and a coinage town, has more crumbling buildings than it does thriving businesses. Spotswood Hall, the ancestral home of the Heeren of Spotswood, has been empty for years, rumors of dark hauntings driving away any visitors. The current king, Thorm of the House of Brom, is a young warrior but does that mean he can rule effectively? And can he, or anyone, guide Bronwend out of this slow collapse? Or will clever opportunists seize this moment to enrich themselves at the expense of the dying kingdom?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This game is being run in a homebrew gameworld I've spent decades working on. I designed it for Pathfinder but am planning to run it in 5th Edition. If Pathfinder is preferred by most applicants, I am happy to go with it. There are few game rules and context specific to my world, which can be found in the races and classes section. Additionally, I have a lot of background information on this gameworld, some of which is provided here. I'm providing this because I want a rich role-playing experience. This game is set to be an adventure, with the usual expectations, but with a lot of potential for role-playing. It will probably involve some in-world politics, so be sure that's the game you want. Reading the gameworld material and using it in your application is sure to impress me.

How long do we have? What level? What is the current party make up?

I have a few questions regarding character creation. Firstly what level, then whether you want to use point buy or rolling, and depending on the answer to the first one, whether or not you plan on allowing multiclassing.

Oh, I didn't put a closing date, did I? I'll say by October 9th. A week and a half is hopefully sufficient. I'm more interested in character story than in a full set of stats. Bonus points if you use the gameworld stuff in your application.

Everyone at the same XP as the party, which is currently 390, so everyone is 2nd level.

Party currently is: one paladin, one sorceror, and one warlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garroak View Post
I have a few questions regarding character creation. Firstly what level, then whether you want to use point buy or rolling, and depending on the answer to the first one, whether or not you plan on allowing multiclassing.
2nd level, 390 XP.
Point buy.
I'm fine with multi-classing. I'm more interested in the role-playing, so I'm going to be hung up on any stat or roll so long as it doesn't interfere with the game.

Posting interest. Will be at a local con this weekend but I'll see what I can do.

Andry Copperkettle

Appearance:

Personality: I think anyone who's nice to me is hiding evil intent.
I bluntly say what other people are hinting at or hiding.
Ideals: Community: We have to take care of each other, because no one else is going to do it. (Lawful)
Respect: All people, rich or poor, deserve respect (Good)
Bonds: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
No one else should have to endure the hardships I've been through.
Flaws: It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else.
I will never fully trust anyone other than myself.

Backstory: Andry had a rough life as a young halfling. She and her family never knew a true home and were always moving from place to place, in fear of the discrimination and what the people who scorned against her and her family would do to them. One day, their fears came true. Her parents were brutally murdered, and Andry was left with no choice but to scrounge and live in the streets. She had become what the people thought of her: A dirty, no-good, thief. But she had to! She needed to live. She needed to survive.

One day, one of the people she stole from pursued after her. She ran as fast as she could, never realizing that she was running from her benefactor. He eventually cornered her, and Andry prepared herself to be beaten or killed. But the blows never came. The man instead knelt down, and introduced himself as Master Hakuryuu Zen. He allowed her to keep the money, and offered her to stay at his monastery tonight. Due to her time on the streets, she had incidents where people who showed her kindness had evil intent, so naturally she was suspicious and cautious towards Hakuryuu. But she checked the monastery, and eventually came to staying there. Sleeping in the monastery was better than sleeping in an alleyway.

Evidently, she grew comfortable at the monastery, and she even started to learn Martial Arts, learn the ways of the Monk. For five years she studied there, and she grew to trust Hakuryuu and the other monks at the monastery. She also gained a sense of clarity. Just because she was treated poorly and lost her parents because of the cruelty of humans and elves, that didn't give her any right to be the same. The best way to change the world, was to be the change she wanted to see. She was grateful to Hakuryuu. If he hadn't taken her in, she probably would still be on the streets.

However, the call to adventure came when she heard about Bronwend and its collapse. So, she decided to travel there and see if she could help out. Hakuryuu approved of her decision, and even told her that her journey will help her grow stronger and wiser. Before she set off, he gave her the supplies she needed and bade her goodbye. For the first time...it hurt Andry to leave a place that she had called "Home"...